Author Topic: furlough's  (Read 17121 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: furlough's
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »
It doesn't matter.  KS legislators don't know what a budget is, which employees are essential to run the state's departments, or how to pay for any of it.  When you are in politics,  it seems that a pretty good idea would be to actually work on something more than trying to smear everyone else.  :dunno:

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2015, 09:55:11 AM »
Also, if you're deemed a "nonessential employee" - isn't that about the time you start looking for a new job?

at ms tobias' they basically just picked the receptionist to stay around and answer calls.  obviously varies from dept to dept, but pretty good odds if you're "essential" you're probably involved in some of the more menial parts of that workforce

:lol: That's just so... governmenty. Keep the receptionist on to answer calls, send everybody else home.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2015, 09:59:31 AM »
"Let me put you on hold and I will get him for you...."    :shakesfist:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 09:59:54 AM »
It really is amazing that "conservatives" won a sweeping victory just last year, and now the debate seems to be devoted entirely to which taxes to raise, rather than cut spending by 6%. For all their bluster, these legislators really are terified of the media/teachers union.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
It really seems like a good case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

This is a really good example of why ppl don't think voting is important.  R's, D's, Whatev's. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »
It really is amazing that "conservatives" won a sweeping victory just last year, and now the debate seems to be devoted entirely to which taxes to raise, rather than cut spending by 6%. For all their bluster, these legislators really are terified of the media/teachers union.

State agencies take a minimum amount of staff and funding to run. Rather than cut spending by 6%, they should pick an agency they don't like and just get rid of it completely.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 10:12:35 AM »

State agencies take a minimum amount of staff and funding to run. Rather than cut spending by 6%, they should pick an agency they don't like and just get rid of it completely.

I don't know, that would have to be a pretty big agency to get to 6%. Doesn't education alone already consume over 50% of the budget? Tack on transportation and you're already up to nearly 75%? I can't recall the latest budget breakdowns, but education is just a massive part of the budget.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »

I don't know, that would have to be a pretty big agency to get to 6%. Doesn't education alone already consume over 50% of the budget? Tack on transportation and you're already up to nearly 75%? I can't recall the latest budget breakdowns, but education is just a massive part of the budget.

So there is nothing left to cut, then?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »
We should just legalize marijuana and sports betting.  I mean, it's obvious that our legislature doesn't have the mental faculty to actually fix any problems, so why not just pass a bill that brings in a lot of money?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 10:19:20 AM »
We should just legalize marijuana and sports betting.  I mean, it's obvious that our legislature doesn't have the mental faculty to actually fix any problems, so why not just pass a bill that brings in a lot of money?

Cocaine, too.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 11:01:54 AM »

So there is nothing left to cut, then?

Oh there's plenty to cut, but only if you're willing to take 50% of that 6% overall cut, or about $200mil, from education. Can you imagine the screaming if the the legislature actually proposed a real cut to school spending?  :runaway:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
Wasn't the tax cut supposed to increase revenue?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 11:14:45 AM »
What positives come out of cutting $200M from ed?  The Ed system isn't the only problem and the system that oversees the Ed system seem to be pretty shitty at their job too.  Crucifying Ed seems silly, and it seems even more silly to think that you can take away $200M from such a system, that many feel need better organization and management, and think that the outcome will be anything more than disastrous given that they are governed by ppl that have their head equally up their own asses. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
there is a long history of governments cutting education funding with positive long term effects, probably.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 11:34:57 AM »

Yes. It didn't. Turns out, a lot of states aren't doing too great economically these days. And even cutting rates to zero for small business owners isn't driving new businesses and people to the dusty plains of Kansas. You know what else probably won't help bring people in? Raising taxes. Which is why we should probably just cut spending and enjoy our famously low cost of living.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2015, 11:37:51 AM »
What positives come out of cutting $200M from ed?  The Ed system isn't the only problem and the system that oversees the Ed system seem to be pretty shitty at their job too.  Crucifying Ed seems silly, and it seems even more silly to think that you can take away $200M from such a system, that many feel need better organization and management, and think that the outcome will be anything more than disastrous given that they are governed by ppl that have their head equally up their own asses.

I'm just saying that if you cut $400mil across the board, education would absorb about half of that because they're such a huge chunk of the budget. It's not about crucifying them.

You're right, though, that cutting spending won't lead to more efficiency. The administrators, rather than trimming their own bloated ranks, would make the cuts as painful as possible.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2015, 11:41:52 AM »

Yes. It didn't. Turns out, a lot of states aren't doing too great economically these days. And even cutting rates to zero for small business owners isn't driving new businesses and people to the dusty plains of Kansas. You know what else probably won't help bring people in? Raising taxes. Which is why we should probably just cut spending and enjoy our famously low cost of living.

well crap, someone screwed up

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »
Maybe the schools should just drop all sports programs. That would probably solve our budget shortfall.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2015, 12:26:43 PM »
Not to put too fine a point on it but really every part of Kansas besides Riley and Johnson counties are non-essential.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2015, 01:03:08 PM »
I've never been furloughed, but isn't it kind of like getting a vacation, except that after the vacation is over you get paid for all your time off? Or is a state furlough different than a federal furlough.

Also, if you're deemed a "nonessential employee" - isn't that about the time you start looking for a new job?

I was furloughed and was hoping to get this week off. Start a new job next week.  :curse: :curse: :curse:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »
Just don't show up and tell them you were never contacted
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2015, 01:50:54 PM »

This logic is exactly why we have an issue in Kansas.  There is nothing of value in this post to respond to on any level.  The fact is there are numerous states which have done the exact opposite of Kansas and are doing far better.  For every Kansas or Wisconsin there is a Minnesota. Its great that people like KSUW want to destroy the principles this country was founded on, but I'd rather they just move to the apex of their experiment and not turn the US into Somalia.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »
Just don't show up and tell them you were never contacted

:lol:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2015, 01:53:12 PM »

This logic is exactly why we have an issue in Kansas.  There is nothing of value in this post to respond to on any level.  The fact is there are numerous states which have done the exact opposite of Kansas and are doing far better.  For every Kansas or Wisconsin there is a Minnesota. Its great that people like KSUW want to destroy the principles this country was founded on, but I'd rather they just move to the apex of their experiment and not turn the US into Somalia.

I think my favorite part of this post was "KSUW want to destroy the principles this country was founded on." Cause you know, when I think about the principles this country was founded on, I totally think high taxes and big government.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »
I've never been furloughed, but isn't it kind of like getting a vacation, except that after the vacation is over you get paid for all your time off? Or is a state furlough different than a federal furlough.

I was furloughed and was hoping to get this week off. Start a new job next week.  :curse: :curse: :curse:

I doubt you would have been paid for your time off if you were furloughed. This isn't the US government.