Author Topic: Sous-vide cooking  (Read 1592 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sous-vide cooking
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:22:38 AM »
Anybody do this?

Have a friend that got a set up for it for Christmas.  Says its really good.  Only tried it once, it was decent, but he said it could've cooked much longer (it was brisket, cooked at 150 for about 20 hours).

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sous-vide cooking
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:47:20 AM »
dont't understand the point of that.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:52:02 AM »
dont't understand the point of that.

There is a bunch of stuff about how the vacuum sealing and then cooking at a constant temp (the sous-vide device keeps a crookpot at any temp within like .5 degrees or something like that) at really low temps breaks down the fats in meats to optimize flavor, etc.  I haven't read much about it, but that's what I've been told, IIRC.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 01:23:34 PM »
_FAN pretty much nailed it.  seems gross to me for most meat because you're not getting any carmelization of the sugars in the meat/crust but i would def try fish cooked sous vide.  tbh, it's similar to any other style of slow cooking (crock  pot, smoking) except every area of the outside of the meat is exposed to the exact same temp like fan said as opposed to heat variances/hot spots that exist throughout the crock pot or smoker.

they use the method on Iron Chef America all the time. would be somewhat similar to pete's tailgate omelet things.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:26:24 PM »
gross.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:32:31 PM »
it's really dangerous. Botulism grows rapidly in the water because it's at the perfect temp.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
_FAN pretty much nailed it.  seems gross to me for most meat because you're not getting any carmelization of the sugars in the meat/crust but i would def try fish cooked sous vide.  tbh, it's similar to any other style of slow cooking (crock  pot, smoking) except every area of the outside of the meat is exposed to the exact same temp like fan said as opposed to heat variances/hot spots that exist throughout the crock pot or smoker.

they use the method on Iron Chef America all the time. would be somewhat similar to pete's tailgate omelet things.

I have heard that often when its "done", chefs will use a butane torch, etc. to get a crust on meats. 

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
FYI note- This is how chipotle cooks their meats. They deliver presealed packages of the meats to the stores so the people at the store don't mess it up and poison everyone.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 03:19:10 PM »
FYI note- This is how chipotle cooks their meats. They deliver presealed packages of the meats to the stores so the people at the store don't mess it up and poison everyone.
what about those grills in the back that they have tons of steak and chicken cooking on?  :dunno:

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »
what about those grills in the back that they have tons of steak and chicken cooking on?  :dunno:

Sorry, I think it's just the pork they do sous-vide.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 06:14:38 PM »
i bet they do, i bet they also send the barbacoa that way too.  of course, i get both combo style because i like them and the hot chicks always load me up with the best ingredients since they want to get with this.