Author Topic: ESPN's top 20 NFL draft busts  (Read 2275 times)

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
ESPN's top 20 NFL draft busts
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »
I'm seeing Ron Dayne at 16th and I cannot believe it. He was a short-yardage stud for a good Broncos team, how is he a bust? I was losing my mind when Shanny sent him packing.

Likely to see other B12'rs on this list, stay tuned...

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Ooh, nice outfit. What is that, Dacron?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
Re: ESPN's top 20 NFL draft busts
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
Ron Dayne played for the Broncos?  I thought he disappeared after his time on the Giants.  He was definitely a bust, but maybe not top 20.

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 10:16:42 PM »
Ron Dayne played for the Broncos?  I thought he disappeared after his time on the Giants.  He was definitely a bust, but maybe not top 20.

Yes, and he did exactly what they brought him in for. You want three yards? Give the rock to Ronnie.

Stay tuned for Crouch, Williams and Salaam. :frown:

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »
I love Leaf from a hilarity perspective, but listing him as the number one draft bust of all time? This show has no credibility. Plus it has Jay Mariotti saying he "acted like a petulent little kid". So Jay Mariotti can be on a show and accuse someone ELSE of being a total dumbass? No thanks.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:51:32 AM »
I love Leaf from a hilarity perspective, but listing him as the number one draft bust of all time? This show has no credibility. Plus it has Jay Mariotti saying he "acted like a petulent little kid". So Jay Mariotti can be on a show and accuse someone ELSE of being a total dumbass? No thanks.

In what way was Leaf NOT the biggest bust ever?    :confused:

And his horrible attitude (petulence) is what sealed the deal on that.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:47:18 AM »
There are plenty of QBs that went first overall that totally sucked, so they'd deserve the title by default seeing as how Leaf was a No. 2.  Also, I fail to see how Leaf was any worse than Akili Smith.  Or Todd Marinovich for that matter.
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 12:07:03 PM »
If you correlated Daynes college #'s to his pro #'s he was a huge bust.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
They didn't take Dayne in the top 5 to just have him get a big 3 yards here and there

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »
There are plenty of QBs that went first overall that totally sucked, so they'd deserve the title by default seeing as how Leaf was a No. 2.  Also, I fail to see how Leaf was any worse than Akili Smith.  Or Todd Marinovich for that matter.

Leaf had the perhaps worst attitude of any top 2 pick ever, so he's got that going for him to start.  (He's also now spent time in jail for theft and drug use.)

On the field, Leaf posted a 4-17 record as starter and threw 14 TDs to 36 INTs.  He has a worse QB Rating than any #1 QB pick in the last 50 years, except Terry Baker from 1963 (0 TDs, 4 INTs).  Leaf's passer rating is also worse than your guy Akili Smith.  I mean, Leaf sucked on a major historical level.

Other top QB picks had bad attitudes or criminal problems (Jeff George, Michael Vick, Ben Rothlisberger), but they at least had good numbers.  Leaf brought the full package -- a losing attitude and losing stats.  Tough not to rate him #1 here.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 02:24:22 PM »
Yeah, but I mean, he didn't even go No. 1 overall.  Kijana Carter, Bid Duddy Wilkinson, I mean, I could probably list nothing but Bengals and have a good list.

I'm tempted to go with Mandarich, personally.  If you're stuck on QBs, I agree, Leaf is easily Top 5, but no slam dunk either.  Smith was AWFUL and failed out on talent alone.
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »
Yeah, but I mean, he didn't even go No. 1 overall.  Kijana Carter, Bid Duddy Wilkinson, I mean, I could probably list nothing but Bengals and have a good list.

I'm tempted to go with Mandarich, personally.  If you're stuck on QBs, I agree, Leaf is easily Top 5, but no slam dunk either.  Smith was AWFUL and failed out on talent alone.

Smith and Leaf both had pretty similarly awful numbers.

Wonder which team is the worst at drafting over the last 15-20 years?  The Bengals are probably doing better overall than the Chiefs.   :frown:

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• Fan
  • scintillating scotoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »
What number was TP? :dunno:

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 05:52:29 PM »