Author Topic: Pizza Thread  (Read 302231 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Pizza Thread
« Reply #525 on: January 08, 2013, 11:20:52 AM »
I have a buddy who grew up in Iowa. He's always bragging up Pizza Ranch. I've never had it.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 08, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »
I love the pizza at Johnny C's in Shawnee. They use provel cheese which a lot of people hate. STL style pizza. Go Royals.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 08, 2013, 11:25:35 AM »
I have a buddy who grew up in Iowa. He's always bragging up Pizza Ranch. I've never had it.

never been but drive by one between Omaha and KC and always mock it to Mrs. Dave and ask her if she wants to stop there and junk.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 08, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »

Pizza Ranch is by far the best restaurant in Emporia. Says something about emporia probably.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 08, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »
The Old Shawnee Pizza has a ghost in the basement.  Is that better or worse than a tiger?

Can you pet the ghost?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 08, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned or not but Jerry's Bait Shop has incredible za.  The somehow acquired the old Pyramid recipe, with the braided crust you can dip in honey.  Also, its like half price pizzas on Sundays.  (I've only had it at the Lees Summit location, no idea if its any different than the other location.)

I used to love Jerry's pizza but the last time I had it, it was terrible.  There was hardly anything on it.  Think the cooks were just lazy making it.  Need to try it again.

years ago olathe had a place with big wonderful crust much like pyramid, it left but I had it somewhere like Larned.

don't remember the name, Any guesses Larned/great bend qats?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 08, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »

Pizza Ranch is by far the best restaurant in Emporia. Says something about emporia probably.

Cactus sticks  :love:

also, while pizza ranch is delicious, that bbq place on market is rough ridin' excellent.  bobby t's, or something like that, i wish mhk had bbq even half as good as that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:25:14 PM by seven »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 08, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »
Mrs. Bones has become frustrated with my lack of cooking accumen and has suggested I should start learning by cooking pizza. Seems dubious to me. Thoughts?

Dough and sauce are easy to make from scratch.  Do that and throw on the cheese and toppings of your choice.  I make my own pizza like that every once in awhile and it's pretty damn good.  If you're using multiple toppings and pepperoni is one, put the pepperoni on first or else it might burn.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 08, 2013, 04:36:14 PM »

Cactus sticks  :love:

also, while pizza ranch is delicious, that bbq place on market is rough ridin' excellent.  bobby t's, or something like that, i wish mhk had bbq even half as good as that.

i confess pizza ranch is 1 of 2 places i have ever eaten in emporia.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 08, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »
Mrs. Bones has become frustrated with my lack of cooking accumen and has suggested I should start learning by cooking pizza. Seems dubious to me. Thoughts?

Dough and sauce are easy to make from scratch.  Do that and throw on the cheese and toppings of your choice.  I make my own pizza like that every once in awhile and it's pretty damn good.  If you're using multiple toppings and pepperoni is one, put the pepperoni on first or else it might burn.

It's pretty easy.  One of my old roommates liked to do it but was in such a hurry that he never let the dough rise, and ended up with shitty dense crust every time.  Find a good recipe for the dough and actually follow it for a starting point.  Homemade pizza can be awesome.
:adios:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 08, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
pesto, goat cheese, shrimp.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 08, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »

I prefer wood oven pizzas, could you do something like that on a grill fairly easily?  Also, my dad buys Papa Murphy's and cooks them on his Traeger.  Soooo freakin good.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 08, 2013, 07:45:33 PM »

I prefer wood oven pizzas, could you do something like that on a grill fairly easily?  Also, my dad buys Papa Murphy's and cooks them on his Traeger.  Soooo freakin good.

You can make or buy a kit for a Webber kettle grill that makes it a pizza cooker, the pizzas look awesome off of them, other than that,bge can do it.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 08, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »
I've made pizza on the Weber gas.     Get it super hot, throw the dough on, flip once it releases, top immediately while bottom cooks, close lid for a couple minutes, boom roasted!

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 08, 2013, 10:38:24 PM »

only puds don't love food creation

Don't jump to a pud conclusion. I'm OK with food creation, but pizza (which I like) seems an odd place to start. Not that I'm ready for a five-course, mind you. I was thinking steaks or chicken. Other suggestions on where to start? Weighing all alternatives.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: January 08, 2013, 10:53:35 PM »
Can we delete this thread? Everytime I see it I want to eat pizza.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 08, 2013, 11:13:17 PM »

Not sure, I've only ever cooked pizza in a kitchen oven.  I always use a pizza stone, if you leave that in the oven to heat up while it's preheating you will get a crisper (but not burnt) crust.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 16, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
I like crushed garlic in the sauce right before it goes in.

Also had minskis cheese and the Thai chicken last night!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 16, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »
Also subbing honey for sugar in your crust recipe is a good change up

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 16, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
Minksy's good

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Pizza Thread
« Reply #545 on: January 16, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »

Not sure, I've only ever cooked pizza in a kitchen oven.  I always use a pizza stone, if you leave that in the oven to heat up while it's preheating you will get a crisper (but not burnt) crust.

Are pizza stones worth it?  Never tried one.  Always see them landing in wedding shower gift piles, etc.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 16, 2013, 10:22:06 PM »

Are pizza stones worth it?  Never tried one.  Always see them landing in wedding shower gift piles, etc.

i dunno, pete.  i don't think they do much.  whenever i cook pizza at home, i grill it.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 16, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »

I think they are worth it, especially if you like crispy crust.  Much better than a pan - the entirety of the crust/bottom of the pizza will thoroughly cook, so no undercooked bits.  Just be sure that if you need to clean burnt stuff off the stone, you scrape it.  Don't wash it.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 16, 2013, 11:01:14 PM »
my dad had a stone when i was in high school.  it was pretty badass.

haven't used one since then though.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 17, 2013, 08:35:53 AM »
pizza stones are stupid.  unless you're grilling, then they're helpful.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.