Author Topic: Pizza Thread  (Read 302173 times)

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
Re: Cheese pizza
« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2010, 07:57:47 AM »
does pizza hut still do the Big Foot pizza? :confused:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2010, 07:58:27 AM »
does pizza hut still do the Big Foot pizza? :confused:
No - that was the tits though back in the day
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »
this thread is about good pizza, not mediocre or crap pizza, thanks chum.  dumbass.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Worst Non-KSU grad school KU poster on goEMAW.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2010, 08:25:54 AM »
Best pizza ever.  Kalua Pork, mango bbq sauce, Maui Onions, Gruyere Cheese.   :lick: :lick:  :lick:
Message Board Samurai

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
Try one of the johnny brusco's in joco. NY style slices you can rightfully fold in half to eat

Offline number_one_KSU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2010, 11:03:53 AM »
I just love to eat PIZZA while watching my KANSAS STATE WILDCATS compete in collegiate sports!  But eating too much PIZZA can give me heartburn, and that can ruin any night.   Well fellow WILDCAT fans on goEMAW.com, let me tell you a little secret: I can get right back on the field with Prevacid®24HR.  Now some CHEESE PIZZA will never upset me while I watch the KSU WILDCATS win the big game! 

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2010, 11:09:29 AM »
Best pizza ever.  Kalua Pork, mango bbq sauce, Maui Onions, Gruyere Cheese.   :lick: :lick:  :lick:

I want to be a part of a pizza three way with Hill's pizza and 'clams' pizza.   :tongue:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2010, 11:16:29 AM »
Try one of the johnny brusco's in joco. NY style slices you can rightfully fold in half to eat

I've eaten there before.  The crust might be NY style but the pizza itself has been warped into something completely different.  I  decided halfway through my first slice that the kids behind the counter had no clue what they were attempting to serve and that I wouldn't go back.  No mas.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:45:18 PM by steve dave »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2010, 08:47:27 PM »
Outside of a few exceptions, I don't believe anyone who says that they can eat a pizza of any kind and be dissatisfied.  It's all really rough ridin' good.
CiCi's is legitimately bad pizza.  Won't eat there even if it was free.

For a spell a few years back, I could eat for free at Valentinos in Manhattan and wouldn't do it.  Their pizza/food is also legitimately bad.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2010, 10:20:20 PM »
Yeah, I'm not buying it.  You guys are lying to yourselves. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
I couldn't agree more with chum. No such thing as bad pizza or anchors. U guys r too funny.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2010, 07:36:21 AM »
clams, thoughts? 

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/how-to-make-great-neapolitan-pizza-at-home.html

Seems kinda jankity but I may give it a whirl.  Also, we grilled pizza last weekend and outside of my grill having hot/cold spots it turned out suprisingly good.  The hardest part was kneeding the dough because I don't have a mixer.  I'll post pics if I can find them. 

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2010, 08:17:31 AM »
True Story - tried WichitaPizzaCat's cheese pizza for the first time in the four years they've been open last night.  It was amazing.  Was expecting it to be so so since it was cheese pizza but it was phenomenal.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2010, 08:24:06 AM »
Avivo has only been open 4 years?  Seems like it's been longer than that...

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2010, 08:32:30 AM »
Just confirmed with WichitaPizzaCat.  5 years this July.  My mistake.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2010, 09:01:07 AM »
seems weird but maybe it works?  he's correct in the issue- that ovens don't get hot enough but the reality is that you can achieve the same result as he has by just partially baking your crust first then putting the sauce and toppings on it and finishing it.

he's not getting around the problem that it's still not hot enough, you need 550+ to get the dough to cook correctly.

you guys need to invest in a good food processor or kitchen aid blender, so useful outside of just making dough.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2010, 09:18:29 AM »
you guys need to invest in a good food processor or kitchen aid blender, so useful outside of just making dough.

Yeah, these negotiations have been ongoing.  We have recently decided to use our resources to aquire a $280 fall jacket because the early fall jacket and early winter jacket/pre coat needed a stop gap for the late october weeks.  Unfortunately, I forsee a similar situation popping up with early spring when negotiations resume. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2010, 06:27:19 PM »
Couple things (in pics).  Here are my efforts at pizza on the grill.  It looks like crap but it tasted surprisingly great.  Def. doing it again and know stuff I need to do differently.

one was red sauce I made with mozz and parm and the other was mozz, parm and some romas that we grilled and then threw onto the pie after we flipped it.  Burned the hell out of the one but was still great.

Now, the kinda exciting part, my new neighbor just built this house and I'm pretty sure he's putting in an outside pizza oven.  Here is a spy shot from my deck (super zoomed out so kinda not the clearest):

I mean, what else could that thing be?  They have had guys out there putting up that cinder block wall and I though nothing of it but I get home yesterday and what appears to be a pizza oven is slapped onto the mofo
 :surprised:

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »
Pretty sure that oven is for either Jews or blaeks

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »
i missed those pics, nice work sd.  it's hard to cut that fresh mozz thin but try to using a sharp steak knife.  also, it looks like you didn't close your grill when you were cooking?  it's important to so you can get the convection going.

it's fun amirite?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2010, 09:18:48 AM »
i missed those pics, nice work sd.  it's hard to cut that fresh mozz thin but try to using a sharp steak knife.  also, it looks like you didn't close your grill when you were cooking?  it's important to so you can get the convection going.

it's fun amirite?

Yeah, very fun.  We're doing it again this weekend.  I think I've decided to just pick off pieces of mozz and throw them on there instead of trying to slice them.  I just couldn't get them thin even when using a serrated knife.  I had it closed except when I was trying to flip the SOBs.  The problem was it only went for 2 minutes a side so it didn't give it long to get the convection going.  I also think my dough was too wet which was a pain in the ass because I don't have a stand mixer and had to kneed it by hand. 

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2010, 09:26:26 AM »
Pretty sure that oven is for either Jews or blaeks
Yep - they are either loading a brisket, or a pig in there for sure!
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »
you might consider buying dough from a local pizza place.  most will sell you a bag of dough for $5 and it cuts out a lot of the pain in the ass part.

try not cooking the dough first since your grill seems to run pretty hot (which is a good thing) - put the corn starch down on your pizza paddle, then the dough, then sauce it cheese it, etc, then slide it on the grill without cooking the dough first.

if your dough is wet, keep adding flour until it's just past being sticky.  i used to do it without the stand mixer and would stir until i broke the wooden spoon and then kneed, adding little bits of flour throughout until i got the dough to a consistency where it's soft but not too soft where it doesn't hold it's shape when you poke it.  when you poke it, it should come back out to shape it was before being poked.  it shouldn't be sticky when you let it rise.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2010, 09:34:32 AM »
also keep the mozz really cold until it's time to pull it apart.