Author Topic: Board Games  (Read 6661 times)

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
Re: Board Games
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2020, 08:59:24 AM »
Sup ballers, we board game a lot at my house and even when i go home to visit family. My girlfriends family loves card games so i have learned a lot those in the two games we have been dating.

Board games we play a lot are Ticket to ride, Bob Ross: Art of Chill, Catan (Usually with the 5 person expansion), we also have aquaduckt and play it every once in a while. My sister also has Disney Villainous which allows you to be a Disney villain and destroy the entire disney universe.

Games i'm currently thinking about getting, Superfight which is kinda like cards against humanity but you fight eachother while drawing random person to be and two random powers. Pandemic which is a coop game that up to four people can play and you are pretty much the World Health Organization trying to stop the rona virus.

Anyways, didn't know if anyone still played board games and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what ones i should get.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2020, 09:00:53 AM »
I tried to get my family to play Catan and we're confused by the start and will never try it again and it annoys me

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2020, 09:03:34 AM »
I'm quite obsessed with Disney Villainous. Marvel Villainous is pretty good too but not as polished as the Disney one (now has 3 expansions with a 4th in the works). Dixxit is another fun "apples to apples/cards against humanity" type of game that is good for families. Pandemic is fun but tough.

From a card games perspective, we also play quite a bit of Love Letters, Pop Tarts and Sushi Go.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2020, 09:04:31 AM »
I tried to get my family to play Catan and we're confused by the start and will never try it again and it annoys me

So we have found a youtube channel that helps with alot of situations like this. I learned in the dorms but i usually send this video to those who are new to the game and want a briefing before they come over to play.

Send this to your family groupchat and tell them all to be prepared to come and play.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2020, 09:05:41 AM »
Yes, never attempt to read the rules of the board game anymore to start. Always watch the youtube first then use the rulebook for clarification.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2020, 09:06:36 AM »
I would recommend Pandemic.  Has some pretty good expansions too when you're ready to make it more complex.  Not overly complex or impossible to learn on your own but I always try to play with some board game nerd the first time with a new game.

Also, I would assume SF has catan meetings like other places do golf meetings.  Old property I worked at would have a buyout for a few days for a tech company and almost everyone of them would play catan and drink free booze all night.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2020, 09:07:47 AM »

So we have found a youtube channel that helps with alot of situations like this. I learned in the dorms but i usually send this video to those who are new to the game and want a briefing before they come over to play.

Send this to your family groupchat and tell them all to be prepared to come and play.
This is a great tip. The family is just very stubborn and will refuse

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2020, 09:13:43 AM »
I would recommend Pandemic.  Has some pretty good expansions too when you're ready to make it more complex.  Not overly complex or impossible to learn on your own but I always try to play with some board game nerd the first time with a new game.

Also, I would assume SF has catan meetings like other places do golf meetings.  Old property I worked at would have a buyout for a few days for a tech company and almost everyone of them would play catan and drink free booze all night.
Pandemic is really fun and is kind of different than most games because it is cooperative instead of competitive.   
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2020, 09:14:54 AM »
family games:

UNO - Probably play 25 rounds a day. 4 year old daughter absolutely obsessed. she loves to try to cheat. 7 yo likes it too but is starting to get bored of it a bit. Best family game for us.

Guess Who - Again, just me and the 4 year old. 7 yo not as interested.

Monopoly - 7 year old loves it. tough to play because 4 yo wants to as well and it just doesn't work out. have to convince her to team up with an adult.

Clue - Wife and 7 yo play it a lot. I'm the guy who likes checks to see what's in the bag or whatever. 4 yo and I play UNO while this happens because she cannot leave the crap alone for others to play.

Old Maid - have a deck with animals on it specifically for old maid. hate its entire guts. such a stupid game. 4 yo loves it and wants to always play 1 on 1. I'll ask her if she has the fisherman bear and she says no and doesn't understand that she HAS to have the fisherman bear because we're playing 1 on 1 and it's pointless. Try to convince her to play UNO instead.

Shoots and ladders/candyland - 4 yo loves these too. she will flip the rough ridin' board over if she gets sent back to beginning or whatever. she will also stack the deck on candyland so she gets ice cream right out of the gates. I always tell her nobody wants to play with a cheater and walk away and then the board gets flipped.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2020, 09:15:13 AM »
All those games are good. King of Tokyo is pretty fun too.

As for card based games, any of the fluxx's (there are tons of them with themes) are good, as is exploding kittens. Both are fairly simple and fun.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2020, 09:19:09 AM »
Not Parent Approved is like Cards Against Humanity but for kids.  Lots of fart/poop/vomit jokes.  Which in our house is comedy gold.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »
Qwix is a good dice game

Telestrations is hilariously fun but I've never actually done it as a competition. It's just a fun thing to do

We've been playing that fishbowl game which is this but we did it with people (real or fictional):

https://funattic.com/how-to-play-fishbowl-game/#:~:text=The%20Fishbowl%20Game%20is%20a,Charades%2C%20Password%2C%20and%20Taboo.&text=The%20Fishbowl%20Game%20can%20be,or%20a%20team%2Dbuilding%20exercise.

The rough ridin' kids did tiktok stars or something and I was PISSED. Little shits

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »
throw throw burrito

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2020, 09:35:55 AM »
I like Ticket to Ride and Upwords.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2020, 03:43:04 PM »
Telestrations is great with kids.  Poor drawing skills combined with the different way their little brains work make for some major LOLs.

Bang is a quick, fun card game if you have plenty of people.

Agricola, Powergrid, and Seven Wonders are some other great strategy games if you like Catan.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2020, 03:50:32 PM »
Telestrations is great with kids.  Poor drawing skills combined with the different way their little brains work make for some major LOLs.

also great with drunk adults

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »

Yes, I don't think a game has ever made me laugh harder

We also have never kept score (is there even scoring?) and just play it for the LOLs
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2020, 04:26:30 PM »
Any of you farmie cats get it on with Pit??

Pit is the jam. It's a trading house pantomime where you try to corner the market on your favorite farms crop

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2020, 11:38:55 PM »
I used to play UNO and Risk with the parents growing up but havent played in a while. They were both a blast though.

My dad also taught us kids how to play blackjack when I was a teenager, would play with pennies and he was the dealer. That definitely came in handy 10 years later when I was the only one of my bro's who knew how to play BJ.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2020, 08:24:23 AM »
Qwix is a good dice game

Telestrations is hilariously fun but I've never actually done it as a competition. It's just a fun thing to do

We've been playing that fishbowl game which is this but we did it with people (real or fictional):

https://funattic.com/how-to-play-fishbowl-game/#:~:text=The%20Fishbowl%20Game%20is%20a,Charades%2C%20Password%2C%20and%20Taboo.&text=The%20Fishbowl%20Game%20can%20be,or%20a%20team%2Dbuilding%20exercise.

The rough ridin' kids did tiktok stars or something and I was PISSED. Little shits

Michigancat playing fishbowl (but more the jazz parts of the sketch)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOJv_zT9FI[/youtube]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2020, 09:29:01 AM »
Qwix is a good dice game

Michigancat playing fishbowl (but more the jazz parts of the sketch)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOJv_zT9FI[/youtube]

:lol:

yes! I just rewatched that too! fantastic show. (also it was the rough ridin' kids doing the jazz references with their tiktockers and youtubers).

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2020, 10:40:57 AM »
dd and his brocats sound like real studs.  how did/do they find the time for risk between all the ass that they must have to be crushing 24/7/365 is something that i pondered.  sounds like the kind of guys that spend more time in premium poon than out of it if you know what i mean.  so not ugly nobody gross fuckface dorks.  the opposite of that.

Lol, I've forgotten about Mr Bread.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2020, 10:46:36 AM »
Me and the 6 year old play the crap out of UNO. Twice a month Mrs. Hamburg and I play Phase 10.

Mrs. Hamburg has three sisters. Phil & I have one BIL that’s always bringing board games to the family gatherings. Ticket To Ride is a good one for BILs to play & have a couple drinks at the table while the sisters & their dad sit in the living room. I had the game on my phone for awhile.  Pretty soon I think the 6 year old will be able to play the kid version.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »
Played phase 10 earlier this year and I'm better at strategy/card games than everyone else in my family and they just banded together and dropped all the skips on me. It was very unfair.

Still won.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2020, 12:10:18 PM »

I've played this with sober adults who can't draw.  It was fun