Author Topic: yellowstone, grand canyon or toronto  (Read 5467 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: yellowstone, grand canyon or toronto
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 01:32:02 PM »
go to yosemite and drop your kids off with sys

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 01:37:08 PM »
Yellowstone might get on your nerves but the kids will love it. They'll see lots of wildlife and waterfalls and bubbly steamy weird natural wonder thingys. You'll curse under your breath at backed-up traffic and idiots standing in the road trying to photograph bison and such. Stay at Old Faithful lodge or maybe the Madison campground. Cody Wyoming is a good stop on your loop. Consider jumping just a few miles out of the park into Montana to the lodge at Chico Hot Springs near Gardner...great pools and dining options. There is a decent KOA at Jackson Hole with inexpensive cabins and a pool, great kid place. All of these need you to get on some reservations asap.

thanks for the great info porky morgan.  :thumbs:

also, it also takes a ridiculous amount of nonsense to get under my skin/on my nerves in real life. i'm basically unflappable.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 01:47:25 PM »
My favorite naturey place is Angel's Landing in Utah, not too far from the Grand Canyon. Not sure how old the kids are though, its quite a hike and can be a bit nefarious in some places especially as you approach the top. Probably be better if they are older or just childless.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »
Yellowstone is cool.  Stayed there with the fam back in '96.  A bear went through the trash next to our camper one night.

Grand Canyon is also cool.  Back in '94 at the grand canyon I got in major trouble for wanting to finish the movie "Sandlot" in the RV before getting out to see the canyon. 

The Big Train

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 01:59:33 PM »
Yellowstone is pretty cool, I really liked the mud volcano and the big blue hot spring thing. it smells like crap everywhere from all the sulfur but it's worth it.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 01:59:43 PM »
My favorite naturey place is Angel's Landing in Utah, not too far from the Grand Canyon. Not sure how old the kids are though, its quite a hike and can be a bit nefarious in some places especially as you approach the top. Probably be better if they are older or just childless.

Angel's Landing in Zion is an awesome hike. Definitely not for young kids.  Teens would be fine.  There is a chain to hold onto most of the way up.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 02:00:08 PM »
yipes!

The Big Train

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »
that looks like the climb of death  :sdeek:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 02:06:39 PM »
It's really not that bad.  I did it when I was 12.  Most of it is a bunch of switchbacks (right word?) and then towards the top there is a chain to hold.  Amazing view from the top though.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 02:12:52 PM »

Yellowstone is cool.  Stayed there with the fam back in '96.  A bear went through the trash next to our camper one night.

Grand Canyon is also cool.  Back in '94 at the grand canyon I got in major trouble for wanting to finish the movie "Sandlot" in the RV before getting out to see the canyon.

This would be my kids.  They are youngish and would barely appreciate nature and such.  However, they'd prolly love the RV and online outside and smores and stuff like that.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 02:17:49 PM »

Angel's Landing in Zion is an awesome hike. Definitely not for young kids.  Teens would be fine.  There is a chain to hold onto most of the way up.

I can just picture myself up there, surrounded by Asian tourists and fat loud talking American hicks taking in the splendor of nature.  Oh look, that guy just fed a bald eagle a chicken nugget!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 02:20:10 PM »

What the hell is going on up there??  :confused:

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 02:35:04 PM »
a bunch of switchbacks (right word?)
Yep, Walter's Wiggles!

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »
grand canyon is cool, have never been to yellowstone.

not much around the grand canyon though

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »
NO THANKS!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
thanks for sweating up my palms chum1

Offline BBF$$Kat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2015, 10:41:45 PM »
NO THANKS!

Pete, I will buy  :cheers: for the night if you find any " fat hicks" up that bitch  :horrorsurprise:, think you are safe there. The Asain deal now that's a diff story... :dunno:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2015, 12:01:48 AM »
I can just picture myself up there, surrounded by Asian tourists and fat loud talking American hicks taking in the splendor of nature.  Oh look, that guy just fed a bald eagle a chicken nugget!

Some asian tourists had me take a picture of them with their ipad on the waterfront today.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2015, 09:25:29 AM »
Now they've discovered the "selfie sticks." Or maybe they invented them. You know what's more annoying than inserting yourself in the foreground of every one of your kajillion pictures? Doing it with a 4-foot retractable metal spear.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »
go to tokyo, RD.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2015, 08:53:47 AM »
Utah is just great. Flew with the family into Denver, spent the night in Vail, then a couple nights near Moab. Did Arches, Canyonlands, and a rafting trip down the Colorado.

Then drove to Zion, stopping at Capitol Reef. Included a white knuckle drive through Grand Staircase Escalante.

Zion is lb for lb the best park in the country.

Then a few nights on North Rim.

Finished the trip with a night in Vegas before flying back.

Highlights of trip:

1. That white knuckle drive, sheer drop offs on both sides.
2. Cougar encounter at GCNP
3.  Driving through that crazy fundamentalist Mormon town.
4. Kids in Vegas. Lolz

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2015, 03:11:43 PM »
Welp, hope Daris went to yellowstone

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/29366447/japanese-man-dies-at-grand-canyon-national-park-during-hike

i did go to yellowstone. also a person did apparently die while i was there. also, some bears were knawing on some dead animal corpse and some whackjob walked up pretty close to them and started yelling at them and throwing crap at them. park rangers eventually came and got him. what a weirdo!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/29366447/japanese-man-dies-at-grand-canyon-national-park-during-hike

i did go to yellowstone. also a person did apparently die while i was there. also, some bears were knawing on some dead animal corpse and some whackjob walked up pretty close to them and started yelling at them and throwing crap at them. park rangers eventually came and got him. what a weirdo!

God damn it.  This is the Teens, not the Nineties.  You rough ridin' record crap like that.  You are so old.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 03:58:18 PM »

God damn it.  This is the Teens, not the Nineties.  You rough ridin' record crap like that.  You are so old.

it was recorded by a bunch of people but happened right before we got there and were told about it by the people still there and then confirmed later by a couple of other people. i probably could have ahd them play it to me on their phone and then recorded their recording on mine. still though, this guy walked up like way, way to close to two two big bears who were eating up some dead thing and he then starts throwing rocks and hurling insults at them. sounded kind of funny. i guess i'm glad they didn't eat him also but man what a story that would have made so maybe not too glad.