Author Topic: Paying for college  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Paying for college
« on: April 11, 2015, 09:31:50 AM »
How did/do you all pay for tuition and all the stuff that comes with college?  I got a regular loan after doing the FAFSA app and the government paid KSU all that money at the beginning of each semester, they'd take their chunk of it for tuition, and refunded me the difficernce that I'd use to pay for rent, books, booze, etc.  So all of the people I bought stuff from got cash and were out of the mix, and I owed to the lender at the end.

I'm getting told there's universities and parts of them are owed money themselves, like students are taking classes and paying the school for them later or getting books and housing on credit.  Is that a thing?  I didn't think you could even get in the class or walk out of the store with books or get a key to the dorm without paying for it up front.

So how is this working now? Are students recently racking up small debts to various parts of or affiliated with universities instead of racking up one giant loan to a big lender?

T-Y.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Paying for college
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 10:13:39 AM »
My previous experience was similar to yours in that the school took out tuition and fees and cut me a check for booze, TVs, rent, etc. it was free money though, and I didn't owe anything to a lender.  I haven't experienced any cases of the school acting as lender, but I do know at UT you have the option to do a payment plan.  In my view, this isn't radically different than paying upfront, since the first payment is due before classes start and must be at least half of what is owed and the last payment is due before the following semester.  This seems more a convenience for parents who are paying out of pocket for their children.  I have seen where the school is willing to offer an "emergency loan" so students can buy books in cases where their funds are delayed, but at UT it is only up to $500. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:21:44 AM »
So it wouldn't ever be a large amount owed to the school, because half is paid up front and they can't get more classes on credit if they don't pay up first?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »
k-state has like monthly payments i think, but yeah you can't enroll if have over like $25 balance
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »
I would assume you would not be allowed to enroll the following semester, yes.  I didn't look at it very closely since I will be taking out fed loans to cover the balance minus scholarships and grants.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 10:33:10 AM »
Even if you have monthly payments, about 90% schools make you pay up front before starting classes.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 10:38:49 AM »
So, Trim, the short answer is no.

Could you imagine the conflict of interest and predatory practices that could arise from that arrangement? No respectable school would want to be a part of that.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 11:08:13 AM »
And there's probably similar setups for dorms, books, etc.? I do remember that the bookstore would give people expecting loan refund checks a week or 2 of credit to buy books.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 11:14:33 AM »
same for me, fed loans paid KSU and I got the excess from KSU. the wife and I now pay a little under a grand every month in loan payments. I call it our vacation house.
emaw

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 11:19:06 AM »

Could you imagine the conflict of interest and predatory practices that could arise from that arrangement? No respectable school would want to be a part of that.

But what about KU?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »
yeah, loaning entities paid ksu directly each semester for me, and I'd get a books/booze surplus check from ksu.  then started paying those loans 6mo after graduation

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »

But what about KU?
Pardon?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 11:54:31 AM »
I think you guys are performing unpaid paralegal work right now

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 05:16:13 PM »
KSU does monthly payments, at least they did when I was there. If you don't have 100% paid off by the next semester they un-enroll you from classes.

I worked 2-3 part time jobs during the school year and a full time job + a part time job or 2 in the summers to pay for school. Paid for roughly 75% in cash and my parents covered the rest. It sucked a whole lot, but compared to those 4 years life after college has been a total breeze.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
So how much are we talking about that's owed when one gets Animal'd for not paying up by the next semester?  25-50% of a semester's tuition?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 07:00:41 PM »
So how much are we talking about that's owed when one gets Animal'd for not paying up by the next semester?  25-50% of a semester's tuition?

not sure what you mean...In my experience 100% of the previous semester's tuition has to be paid before the start of the next semester...

I didn't have to put a certain % down to start the new semester, just pay the first payment of your payment plan. Which, in my case if my memory is right, was 4 installments throughout the semester.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »

not sure what you mean...In my experience 100% of the previous semester's tuition has to be paid before the start of the next semester...

I didn't have to put a certain % down to start the new semester, just pay the first payment of your payment plan. Which, in my case if my memory is right, was 4 installments throughout the semester.

Spracne had said the first payment had to be at least 50%.  Maybe it's less at other places.  I understand that 100% of one semester's tuition has to be paid before the student can advance to another semester.  If it's less that one has to pay - in your case, 25%? - at the outset of the semester on the payment plan, then yeah, I guess it could be a higher amount that's owed when the student quits paying and thus isn't allowed to advance.

But the bottom line is that nobody's getting bounced and owing more than a semester's worth of tuition less whatever their first payment was, right?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 07:26:09 PM »
probably not
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »

Spracne had said the first payment had to be at least 50%.  Maybe it's less at other places.  I understand that 100% of one semester's tuition has to be paid before the student can advance to another semester.  If it's less that one has to pay - in your case, 25%? - at the outset of the semester on the payment plan, then yeah, I guess it could be a higher amount that's owed when the student quits paying and thus isn't allowed to advance.

But the bottom line is that nobody's getting bounced and owing more than a semester's worth of tuition less whatever their first payment was, right?
Yeah, exactly. I  don't know their exact procedure if someone misses a payment. I'm sure it goes to a collection agency at some point. I think it's a good program as I wouldn't have been able to go through college debt-free without it

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 08:20:45 PM »
Pretty sure it's different options wherever you go. Whoever said it's mostly for parents who are paying Junior's tuition, but don't want to/ can't afford to drop an entire semester's worth of money at once.

I went the traditional route at K-State aka get my EFC of 0000, max out schollies, grants and loans and pocket the rest. When I went back to school at Hutch CC, though, a did take advantage of the monthly payment option. Instead of loans, I had the option to pay upfront, slice the semester's tuition in half or pay by the month. I just took option three and paid accordingly. I had to have the previous semester paid off to take the next semester's classes.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »
Pretty sure it's different options wherever you go. Whoever said it's mostly for parents who are paying Junior's tuition, but don't want to/ can't afford to drop an entire semester's worth of money at once.

I went the traditional route at K-State aka get my EFC of 0000, max out schollies, grants and loans and pocket the rest. When I went back to school at Hutch CC, though, a did take advantage of the monthly payment option. Instead of loans, I had the option to pay upfront, slice the semester's tuition in half or pay by the month. I just took option three and paid accordingly. I had to have the previous semester paid off to take the next semester's classes.

Go Blue Dragons.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 02:55:20 AM »

Go Blue Dragons.

Huge Cordarrelle Patterson fan.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 02:47:22 PM »
My dad paid for it.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 02:16:11 PM »
Pell grant from FAFSA, Stafford loan, $50 scholarship/year from the old HS  :cool:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 11:24:40 PM »
how's clams paying?  IIRC, his stepdad is footing the bill?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]