Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 230030 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #2075 on: April 02, 2021, 01:43:13 PM »
I read all three broken earths and thought they were ok. I liked Jemisin's short stories a lot more

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: April 02, 2021, 06:54:49 PM »
Reconstruction failed because they just quit in 1876 ish, there should have been a total and complete "deNAZIfication" of the South and it's leaders, like the Nuremburg trials.

TJ Stiles James book is centered around this theme mostly in Missouri but you can expand it into the south.

The South lost the battle but won the war in a weird way.
I'm interested to learn more about this as I read Prophet of Freedom. I've read a fair amount about the Civil War but really nothing about the reconstruction era.
Here’s the author laying out essentially the thesis of his book

https://twitter.com/tjstiles_author/status/1378131483479531524?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: April 02, 2021, 07:02:33 PM »
@Pete what do you think about the Broken Earth series? I've almost finished Fifth Season and it's pretty good so far.

I haven't read them.  I just looked them up and they look kinda depressing.   :dunno:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2078 on: June 17, 2021, 06:29:43 PM »
Just finished Station Eleven.  I look forward to the the HBO series.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: June 17, 2021, 09:25:29 PM »

Are you a fan of the post apocalyptic genre?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2080 on: June 17, 2021, 09:28:07 PM »

Yes, I do seem to be drawn to it. There is something compelling and even beautiful about the twilight of humanity.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: June 17, 2021, 10:42:39 PM »

Yes, I do seem to be drawn to it. There is something compelling and even beautiful about the twilight of humanity.

I am growing more and more a fan.  I used to be freaked out about it, but now I sort of welcome it (as an idea).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: June 20, 2021, 02:27:06 PM »
Fleishman Is in Trouble is a really incredible novel about marriage, divorce, and getting older these days. Top 10 out of the last 100 books I've read.

I just have different taste than chum1. I did not like this book! Everything was so far over the top and at the end I didn't care what happened to anyone (not unlike East of Eden)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: June 20, 2021, 02:45:31 PM »
I don't dabble much in non-fiction but I've been listening to the rise and fall of the third reich by William L. Shirer and it's totally engrossing. I'm only up to like 1932 and there is still 40 hours left!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: June 20, 2021, 04:00:02 PM »
I don't dabble much in non-fiction but I've been listening to the rise and fall of the third reich by William L. Shirer and it's totally engrossing. I'm only up to like 1932 and there is still 40 hours left!
One of the best books of all time.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: June 20, 2021, 08:05:56 PM »
There are two new books on hitler if you are into that.

First is Hitler: ascent and hitler: downfall

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable and I learned a lot

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: June 20, 2021, 08:07:27 PM »
Stony The road is an excellent history of American white supremacy

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: June 20, 2021, 08:17:51 PM »
My next big book is wages of destruction.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: June 21, 2021, 11:02:44 AM »
Finishing up the Joe Posnanski Buck O'neil book. Pretty good, but made me feel bad about how rough ridin' awful Americans were (sort of still are) to black people not very long ago. Some of the stories just got to me. Like one guy pretty much everyone said was one of the best players they had ever seen. He ended up in the MLB but way later than he should have and still whipped ass, but he was in his 30's and on the downslope of his career. Come to find out, he was scouted by the Giants when he was in HS and they knew how bad ass he was even back then, but.....sorry, no black guys allowed. Its crazy to think that it wasn't really that long ago at all. Anyway, good read, but sort of depressing.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: June 21, 2021, 02:38:27 PM »
JoePa!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: June 21, 2021, 08:25:53 PM »
JoePa!

lmao

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: June 24, 2021, 09:46:23 AM »

Station 11 kind of reminded me of the world made by hand series. Another good post apoc series to check out

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2092 on: June 24, 2021, 10:06:31 PM »

Station 11 kind of reminded me of the world made by hand series. Another good post apoc series to check out

I'll definitely check it out.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2093 on: June 24, 2021, 10:08:00 PM »
Recommendo for @michigancat (if he hasn't read it already)

I, Claudius

then if you liked that

Claudius the God

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: June 25, 2021, 01:39:25 PM »
Just picked this up at the library and felt kind of weird walking out with a book that has a giant Nazi flag on the front.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 19, 2021, 07:22:06 PM »
I need something new.  Fiction and purely for entertainment.  In the last 2 years I’ve read the Expanse series (waiting on book 9), Red Rising series (waiting on book 6), Kingkiller series (waiting on book 3, not holding my breath), and Stormlight series (waiting on book 5).  All were great.  Any suggestions?  Something completed might be nice.

The Murderbot Diaries series. There are 4 novellas and a novel and they are all so much fun.
I gave the first of these to my dad for Christmas based on this thread and he really liked it. Thanks!

Just finished the first Murderbot novella.  I enjoyed it.  It's basically a cyborg version of me.  :shy:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: July 20, 2021, 09:57:27 AM »
Just cranked through this book in 1 day because I enjoyed it so much. Kind of hard to explain but its end of the world/mars/space exploration/aliens all mixed up doled out in perfect little servings.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: August 17, 2021, 07:40:18 PM »
Just finished A MOVEABLE FEAST by Ernest Hemingway. Memoir of his life in Paris during the 1920s.  Very interesting background information about his life and writings if you are into Hemingway.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: August 18, 2021, 09:20:24 AM »
Had to take a long drive by myself recently so I decided to listen to a book for the first time ever. I just grabbed the most popular non fiction and it was the Mathew McConaughey memoir or whatever. It was pretty enjoyable, especially since his sexy voice was reading it. Def some boring parts, but he's had a pretty interesting life.

Finished Fargo Rock City a while back. It was just ok. Its about a dude growing up in Fargo in the 80's that got turned on to metal music. Good if you really really really like 80's metal which I don't so much, but there were some good stories.

Working on "Everyone Loves Our Town". Its a compilation of a bunch of interviews and stories of Seattle bands that started and became the "grunge movement". I'm loving this. Its still crazy that out of nowhere, one area produced all of these bands that hit around the same time. It starts with bands most people have never heard of like the U-Men, Skinyard, Malfunction, etc. Most of those bands paved the way and had members that ended up in Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc. The other crazy part was how young some of these dudes were. Reading the stories you think they are like 24-26 years old. Some of these dudes were living in communal housing, playing music, and getting all drunk and drugged up at like 15-16. If you are or were into 90's rock, you would enjoy the stories.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: August 18, 2021, 01:36:30 PM »
Had to take a long drive by myself recently so I decided to listen to a book for the first time ever. I just grabbed the most popular non fiction and it was the Mathew McConaughey memoir or whatever. It was pretty enjoyable, especially since his sexy voice was reading it. Def some boring parts, but he's had a pretty interesting life.

Finished Fargo Rock City a while back. It was just ok. Its about a dude growing up in Fargo in the 80's that got turned on to metal music. Good if you really really really like 80's metal which I don't so much, but there were some good stories.

Working on "Everyone Loves Our Town". Its a compilation of a bunch of interviews and stories of Seattle bands that started and became the "grunge movement". I'm loving this. Its still crazy that out of nowhere, one area produced all of these bands that hit around the same time. It starts with bands most people have never heard of like the U-Men, Skinyard, Malfunction, etc. Most of those bands paved the way and had members that ended up in Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc. The other crazy part was how young some of these dudes were. Reading the stories you think they are like 24-26 years old. Some of these dudes were living in communal housing, playing music, and getting all drunk and drugged up at like 15-16. If you are or were into 90's rock, you would enjoy the stories.
Not 90s rock-related but I read last night that Jimi Hendrix was from Seattle, too. I drove thru Kurt Cobain's hometown (Aberdeen, WA) on vacation one time.