Author Topic: ask a townie  (Read 31038 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: ask a townie
« Reply #250 on: March 18, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 18, 2015, 02:55:40 PM »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 18, 2015, 03:01:25 PM »
Q for townies:

Who do you dislike more when they come to KSU, bumpkins from the farm who think Manhattan is basically the other Manhattan, or too cool for school JOCO punks?

i don't even know what this means. what's a too cool for school JOCO punk? don't think i've ever met one.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2015, 03:02:42 PM »
http://www.collegeranker.com/ranking/best-college-towns/

Lists are dumb (also, in your faces, losers).

You really have to question a list which has Ames in the top 5, Fort Collins ahead of Boulder, and no Tallahassee. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Def Leppard was the first rock concert in Bramlage. There were quite a few other "arena rock" concerts, too, and all of them sold out. That was probably largely thanks to top 40 radio airplay, which just didn't exist for Metallica at the time.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 18, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »
Also Country Gift Shop is greatest MPRD sponsor ever.

I was on a CGS team one year. Talk about the elite of the elite. Yeesh.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 18, 2015, 03:16:54 PM »
Def Leppard was the first rock concert in Bramlage. There were quite a few other "arena rock" concerts, too, and all of them sold out. That was probably largely thanks to top 40 radio airplay, which just didn't exist for Metallica at the time.

def leppard was ridiculous because it was the height of their popularity. la guns opened for them.

metallica just wasn't that poplular yet. the concert was scheduled for jan 29 1989 which is the same month and year that the video for one hit mtv. if that concert would have been scheduled for like six months later then i bet it still happens. queensryche was opening for them and was actually probably more mainstream popular at the time. also a friend of my moms worked bramlage at the time and a pretty young rick daris and friend had fourth row center for that concert. also older townies didn't want the concert because it was devil music.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2015, 03:19:26 PM »
Also Country Gift Shop is greatest MPRD sponsor ever.

I was on a CGS team one year. Talk about the elite of the elite. Yeesh.

undefeated champs, ol Stone rapped in the game winner walk off in the title game one year.   :gocho:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2015, 03:35:12 PM »
metallica just wasn't that poplular yet. the concert was scheduled for jan 29 1989 which is the same month and year that the video for one hit mtv. if that concert would have been scheduled for like six months later then i bet it still happens.

i don't understand. did you see how many arenas they filled on that tour (which was over a full year long)? why did mhk get skipped?

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2015, 03:35:49 PM »

def leppard was ridiculous because it was the height of their popularity. la guns opened for them.

metallica just wasn't that poplular yet. the concert was scheduled for jan 29 1989 which is the same month and year that the video for one hit mtv. if that concert would have been scheduled for like six months later then i bet it still happens. queensryche was opening for them and was actually probably more mainstream popular at the time. also a friend of my moms worked bramlage at the time and a pretty young rick daris and friend had fourth row center for that concert. also older townies didn't want the concert because it was devil music.
KRock wasn't around until like '91. Who was supposed to promote that show, 1350??

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 18, 2015, 03:39:15 PM »
KSU had like a 10k enrollment too. Mhk has changed more since 88 than most cities (imho)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 18, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »
metallica just wasn't that poplular yet. the concert was scheduled for jan 29 1989 which is the same month and year that the video for one hit mtv. if that concert would have been scheduled for like six months later then i bet it still happens.

i don't understand. did you see how many arenas they filled on that tour (which was over a full year long)? why did mhk get skipped?

How does Manhattan's size compare to the sizes of the other cities? For an act to draw such a large chunk of a city's population, they have to be pretty mainstream. Metallica wasn't yet.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 18, 2015, 03:43:47 PM »
Maybe it's because Kansans were scared of Metallica back then?  True story alert -  one summer evening in 1989 I called up T-95 in Wichita and requested something from the And Justice for All album and the DJamer told me he would have to wait until after 9 to play them.  Yes, apparently they wanted to wait until little kids had gone to bed presumably to protect young innocent ears from devil music.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 18, 2015, 03:44:57 PM »
Q for townies:

Who do you dislike more when they come to KSU, bumpkins from the farm who think Manhattan is basically the other Manhattan, or too cool for school JOCO punks?

JoCo punks seem less able to navigate a roundabout, so them. I have no idea why this is, but my scientific study of this phenomenon revealed that drivers with a JO Kansas license plate are 3x more likely to eff up a roundabout than non-JO Kansas license plates.

Note: Out of state drivers were not taken into account in this study.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 18, 2015, 03:46:57 PM »
KSU had like a 10k enrollment too. Mhk has changed more since 88 than most cities (imho)

Nah, it hasn't changed that much. If anything, it has slower than average growth.

http://www.k-state.edu/registrar/statistics/resnon.html

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 18, 2015, 03:49:49 PM »
Well I'm not a townie so I'm just talking out of my ass
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 18, 2015, 03:54:54 PM »
how many rock bands have played bramlage ever? isnt that a pretty rare thing even now? i remember ben folds and that's it in my entire 5 years in mhk

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 18, 2015, 03:55:40 PM »

look dork, i just freaking told you. metallica did not get popular until one showed up on mtv a week or two before, but by then the concert had already been cancelled. out of the places metallica was scheduled to play that month, i believe bramlage was the biggest and the town was the smallest. do the math on your own to figure this out. oh wait, you're mocat. maybe call a friend or pm someone and have them do it for you and quit mucking up my thread.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 18, 2015, 03:58:30 PM »

look dork, i just freaking told you. metallica did not get popular until one showed up on mtv a week or two before, but by then the concert had already been cancelled. out of the places metallica was scheduled to play that month, i believe bramlage was the biggest and the town was the smallest. do the math on your own to figure this out. oh wait, you're mocat. maybe call a friend or pm someone and have them do it for you and quit mucking up my thread.

i don't understand why it was scheduled in the first place is what i'm getting at. 50% of the entire population of a pre-LHC Bill Snyder western kansas town getting a metallica show? weird.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 18, 2015, 04:00:33 PM »
That first Def Leppard concert would've been amazing. God I wish SB older bro had given 5 year-old SB that Hysteria tape sooner. Still, the Adrenalize concert was a pretty great way to lose my concert virginity too, even if the arena really was only half full.

And mocat, Soul Asylum and Ben Folds both lost tons of money. UPC brought in rock concerts a fair amount and tried with Soul Asylum but only like 1,500 people showed up (including SB). So they swore it off for a long time and broke their own rules for Folds years and years later and I think they prolly regretted it.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 18, 2015, 04:01:04 PM »

i don't understand why it was scheduled in the first place is what i'm getting at. 50% of the entire population of a pre-LHC Bill Snyder western kansas town getting a metallica show? weird.

What, are they gonna play in Allen Fieldhouse? :lol:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 18, 2015, 04:02:30 PM »

i don't understand why it was scheduled in the first place is what i'm getting at. 50% of the entire population of a pre-LHC LHC Bill Snyder western kansas town getting a metallica show? weird.

def leppard played there three/four months earlier and pretty much sold the entire 13,500 seat place out.  :dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 18, 2015, 04:12:48 PM »
That first Def Leppard concert would've been amazing. God I wish SB older bro had given 5 year-old SB that Hysteria tape sooner.

you know who else feels bad that you didn't get to go to that first def leppard concert?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 18, 2015, 04:13:32 PM »

i don't understand why it was scheduled in the first place is what i'm getting at. 50% of the entire population of a pre-LHC LHC Bill Snyder western kansas town getting a metallica show? weird.

def leppard played there three/four months earlier and pretty much sold the entire 13,500 seat place out.  :dunno:

oh i guess i get "mainstream" and "strip club" confused too.

"Hey honey me and the boys are going fishing down at the main stream this weekend, see you sunday night" - rick daris

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 18, 2015, 04:17:29 PM »
That first Def Leppard concert would've been amazing. God I wish SB older bro had given 5 year-old SB that Hysteria tape sooner.

you know who else feels bad that you didn't get to go to that first def leppard concert?

wait for it...