Author Topic: ask a townie  (Read 30999 times)

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
Re: ask a townie
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »
I think he thought other townies would chime in.

:dunno:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 09:34:04 PM »
Places you miss? In my day at KSU it was all "Hey bro, lets get some Kreme Kup burgers" "Na dude, GUMBYS!" Then we'd haul ass to streetside records. I miss all those places FYI

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 09:38:16 PM »
Do you resent all the Johnson County-fication? Like, the area near the mall now has zero character. It seems like there's just a never ending new development of strip malls with chain stores. Does that bum you out or do you appreciate the developments. I mean, everytime I go back a bunch more old houses with charm east of campus have been torn down to make room for more crappy cheap apartments.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 09:53:59 PM »
I would not say those houses had charm, more like tenements
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 10:27:51 PM »
rick is in bed, idiots
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »
Do you resent all the Johnson County-fication? Like, the area near the mall now has zero character. It seems like there's just a never ending new development of strip malls with chain stores. Does that bum you out or do you appreciate the developments. I mean, everytime I go back a bunch more old houses with charm east of campus have been torn down to make room for more crappy cheap apartments.

LOL.  The homes that had any charm that have been demolished thus far lost it long ago.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 10:40:06 PM »
Most overrated place or thing

Kites, burger.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2015, 10:41:09 PM »
Best non-aville non-dt eating and shopping district

West Loop, I guess.  Probably going to need to wait 10 years or so on this one.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2015, 10:44:45 PM »
Top 3 barbers in MHK? Or just top 1 if you only think that one is worth a crap. And no stylists either. They have to be barbers.

Roger, now retired.

Phil, I suppose if you like that sort of thing.  I find the entire process about as interesting as j rake and so either go to a stylist that I know from HS or to the cheap cuts place next to target.  We used to have zero black barber shops and now have multiple so that is the most positive and noteworthy development I can think of in the hair cutting landscape of old MHK.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2015, 10:46:27 PM »
what part of town most needs more limestone?

I would say the new developments have appropriately implemented limestone.  The little brick neighborhood along college west of campus/south of the athletic complex could really use some limestone updating.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2015, 10:55:09 PM »
What is wrong with you people?

(not rhetorical)

bears are fast...

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2015, 10:57:02 PM »
what's the best park to take your 3 kids?

Really depends.

Top 3

Anneberg-
+lots to do, a variety, picnic areas, enclosed playground, jogging loop so you can fit in a workout for both parents while the other watches
the kids, soccer, a pond, putt-putt and an executive 9 hold par 3, batting cages, softball fields.  Fun for all ages and you can multi-task.

-someone might drown, no tennis courts, lots of room for teenagers to go smoke something with that kid you don't like but came with your oldest

CICO-
+big, tennis courts, TWO playgrounds, dog park, Bishop stadium, POOL!, fairgrounds, ball fields
-possible drowning but lifeguards on site and somewhat competent, your eldest is over at the skate park smoking again with the money they said they were taking to Dara's to get a snack

City-
+best playground, water park (FREE!), some old cabin that is never staffed, fountain, ARTS IN THE PARK!, Wefald Pavilion, Best TENNIS COURTS, basketball court, square running jog area, sand v-ball area, JOHNNY KAW!, FIRE ENGINES!
-Sir, your son is on his way to the hospital he ran out in front of a fire engine and..., possible drowning in multiple areas, your eldest is at an apartment and will emerge hours later claiming they "went on a walk and got lost"

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2015, 10:57:23 PM »
which mexican restaurant serves the best mole?

none

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2015, 11:02:36 PM »
We used to have zero black barber shops and now have multiple so that is the most positive and noteworthy development I can think of in the hair cutting landscape of old MHK.

Our basketball team hair has gotten progressively worse though.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2015, 11:03:05 PM »
How long do I have to wait up before somebody gets to my original question?

:impatient:
bears are fast...

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2015, 11:06:10 PM »
The best barber in town is Dylan who took over for Roger at Campus Hairstyling.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2015, 11:07:48 PM »
why does RCPD have small mans syndrome?

It's easy to pick low hanging fruit aka DUI's, MIP's, etc. in a college town. Especially one that has one major bar district.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 11:13:10 PM »
Places you miss? In my day at KSU it was all "Hey bro, lets get some Kreme Kup burgers" "Na dude, GUMBYS!" Then we'd haul ass to streetside records. I miss all those places FYI

Streetside, Taco Hut, Taco Tico, more than 1 movie theatre, Valentino's being good, the putt-putt down where the east side dillon's is, the nice coffee shop that lasted 10 minutes under Strecker-Nelson, good concerts, the old crappy Union food court (even though I know it is worse in every way than what is there now), The outdoor racquetball courts at the rec, the spillway when it was really cool right after the flood

The Big Train

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 11:13:56 PM »
why does RCPD have small mans syndrome?

It's easy to pick low hanging fruit aka DUI's, MIP's, etc. in a college town. Especially one that has one major bar district.

what about an improper left hand turn. i mean every does it.  yet, im the one who gets pulled over for it.  why? huh? huh?? HUH?????

The Big Train

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2015, 11:15:43 PM »

Streetside, Taco Hut, Taco Tico, more than 1 movie theatre, Valentino's being good, the putt-putt down where the east side dillon's is, the nice coffee shop that lasted 10 minutes under Strecker-Nelson, good concerts, the old crappy Union food court (even though I know it is worse in every way than what is there now), The outdoor racquetball courts at the rec, the spillway when it was really cool right after the flood

used to be multiple, i miss tico  :frown:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2015, 11:16:16 PM »

Ahem.

The Big Train

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2015, 11:17:48 PM »
i think he is talking about pj's

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2015, 11:22:04 PM »

The area near the mall never had any character, only now an old steel plant or something has been replaced with national retail goodness. MHK's growth has been great. It's gotten almost all of the convenient chain stuff, while local businesses and restaurants have also seen a boom.

There is nothing not to like.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2015, 11:24:05 PM »
Top 3 barbers in MHK? Or just top 1 if you only think that one is worth a crap. And no stylists either. They have to be barbers.

Roger, now retired.

Phil, I suppose if you like that sort of thing.  I find the entire process about as interesting as j rake and so either go to a stylist that I know from HS or to the cheap cuts place next to target.  We used to have zero black barber shops and now have multiple so that is the most positive and noteworthy development I can think of in the hair cutting landscape of old MHK.

I'm a big fan of the dudes who chop next door to Kite's.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2015, 11:35:31 PM »

Ahem.

It is entirely possible your band is better than Ultimate Fakebook and Ruskabank, I just am probably too old to ever find out. 

In reality, I meant the music scene of young bands seemed very active and important when I was in high school, that is probably mostly nostalgia talking.