Author Topic: Tell us more, oscar  (Read 25085 times)

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
Tell us more, oscar
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:46:19 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Tell us more, oscar
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 01:06:04 AM »
oscar's mismanagement of player relations is disgusting and reason enough to warrant his job this year a failure. Add in the losses, which stem from it, and he's been abysmal.

He should be fired for anything short of a lock NCAA season next year.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 09:03:42 AM »
oscar's mismanagement of player relations is disgusting and reason enough to warrant his job this year a failure. Add in the losses, which stem from it, and he's been abysmal.

He should be fired for anything short of a lock NCAA season next year.

Yep.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:13:30 AM »
Talk more crap on Wisconsin, oscar.

catzacker

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 09:18:07 AM »
Talk more crap on Wisconsin, oscar.

yeah, I found that hilarious. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 09:26:21 AM »
He really cant help himself
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:58:33 AM by Dugout DickStone »

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:33:13 AM »
legit question: what accountability, if any, rests with the players?

i'm so tired of the blame-the-coach mentality anytime a player screws up. this isn't just at k-state, it's everywhere. tom crean had to deal with a situation earlier this year in which his players were running each other over with cars while screwing around drunk in a parking lot. rick pitino and coach K had aggressive predators on their rosters who have since been dismissed. countless other coaches have had to suspend players for violating team rules, poor academics, taking impermissible benefits, etc. - and the number is closer to 100 than a dozen.

bob huggins suspended team leader and future NBA'er cartier martin for violating team rules, and dismissed mario taybron from the team entirely in his only year at k-state.

frank martin dealt with player suspensions at k-state (jamar samuels, jacob pullen and curtis kelly were all suspended), and also now at south carolina, where he suspended two players for the season earlier this year.

i get the frustration, but blaming oscar for every player transgression is stupid.

EDIT: i guess he'd get the benefit of the doubt if he could win more f'n games?  :frown:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »
we bitched constantly about frank doing stuff like this too fwiw.  Search jamar and marfan.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 09:51:05 AM »
we bitched constantly about frank doing stuff like this too fwiw.  Search jamar and marfan.

oh, i thought you guys blamed currie for most of this?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
you didnt search jamar and marfan did you, jerk.

catzacker

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 10:00:43 AM »
like, martin won more and stuff while doing all of that.

but I personally know I bitched about frank's frankings and eye hernias and stuff.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »
I don't think Frank ever kicked someone off the team but forgot to tell the player

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 10:17:28 AM »
hypothetically, if oscar used terrible language in the texas game and was suspended for the big 12 tourney by currie, would you direct your anger at oscar or currie? for the sake of argument, let's also assume that oscar coaching gives k-state the best chance to win.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 10:19:02 AM »
hypothetically, if oscar used terrible language in the texas game and was suspended for the big 12 tourney by currie, would you direct your anger at oscar or currie? for the sake of argument, let's also assume that oscar coaching gives k-state the best chance to win.

Currie

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 10:23:07 AM »
legit question: what accountability, if any, rests with the players?

i'm so tired of the blame-the-coach mentality anytime a player screws up. this isn't just at k-state, it's everywhere. tom crean had to deal with a situation earlier this year in which his players were running each other over with cars while screwing around drunk in a parking lot. rick pitino and coach K had aggressive predators on their rosters who have since been dismissed. countless other coaches have had to suspend players for violating team rules, poor academics, taking impermissible benefits, etc. - and the number is closer to 100 than a dozen.

bob huggins suspended team leader and future NBA'er cartier martin for violating team rules, and dismissed mario taybron from the team entirely in his only year at k-state.

frank martin dealt with player suspensions at k-state (jamar samuels, jacob pullen and curtis kelly were all suspended), and also now at south carolina, where he suspended two players for the season earlier this year.

i get the frustration, but blaming oscar for every player transgression is stupid.

EDIT: i guess he'd get the benefit of the doubt if he could win more f'n games?  :frown:

Coaches aren't entirely responsible for player conduct, but they are responsible for how they discipline players and how they portray that discipline to the media. Jevon tweeted that he didn't even know he was off the team until oscar said it in post-game. Why would oscar say that in public at all? Did he just make that up on the spot? Why wasn't Jevon clear on his status? The point is oscar Weber is not good at managing people.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »
oscar has had a bad season and does not have K-State values. If he's going to continue to have bad seasons yet not do things the K-State way, he needs to be fired.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »
I don't think Frank ever kicked someone off the team but forgot to tell the player

he didn't forget, he didn't want to confront him so he used Kellis to do it. 

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 10:41:56 AM »

Currie

i would have guessed both.  :D

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »
Coaches aren't entirely responsible for player conduct, but they are responsible for how they discipline players and how they portray that discipline to the media. Jevon tweeted that he didn't even know he was off the team until oscar said it in post-game. Why would oscar say that in public at all? Did he just make that up on the spot? Why wasn't Jevon clear on his status? The point is oscar Weber is not good at managing people.

i haven't read all the details, but based on what you're saying re: thomas, it's hard to disagree. oscar should definitely have been more direct with him, assuming a) the two are on speaking terms, and b) thomas is being truthful.

as far as oscar publicly discussing the situation, he basically can't win there. if he says nothing and decides to keep things in house, he gets blasted for a lack of transparency and for hiding stuff. when he decides to give the media a peek behind the curtain, he gets criticized because he "shouldn't discuss internal matters publicly."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »

Currie

i would have guessed both.  :D

Top down approach bro

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 10:51:34 AM »
Currie suspending Weber for language would be an all timer of WTF

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 10:52:39 AM »

i haven't read all the details, but based on what you're saying re: thomas, it's hard to disagree. oscar should definitely have been more direct with him, assuming a) the two are on speaking terms, and b) thomas is being truthful.

as far as oscar publicly discussing the situation, he basically can't win there. if he says nothing and decides to keep things in house, he gets blasted for a lack of transparency and for hiding stuff. when he decides to give the media a peek behind the curtain, he gets criticized because he "shouldn't discuss internal matters publicly."

oscar was anything but transparent about Foster,  now why publicly announce you threw your point guard off the team?

catzacker

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 10:53:29 AM »
devil's advorake

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 11:16:37 AM »
I imagine in oscar's mind he communicated all that to jt, but jt didn't hear it the way that oscar intended.  This is most likely because oscar spoke to him in run on sentences for 10 minutes without maintaining eye contact

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 11:32:34 AM »
devil's advorake

it's a sad, pathetic existence.