Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4137192 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35475 on: July 27, 2023, 09:06:11 AM »
If the BigTen tells them no again, that’s even better for us. It’s a possible win/win. Either they go BigTen & we probably get the 4 corners or they get a hard no & we can put a hard sell on them to join us. The down side is they get a hard no, but that shows Arizona that Oregon & Washington aren’t bolting for another conference without them so they all decide if they are going to be a trio they can just be a trio in the Pac-10. It could just give Arizona the confidence to know that Oregon & Washington don’t have the option to ditch them.

I just have a hard time believing they sign a deal to stay in the PAC-10 for 6 more years, with 2024 probably being only 9 teams at most. Especially if they have to drop to an 8 game schedule. At that point it’s 4 OOC’s and 8 local games. We can get them 3-4 local games in conference, plus Oregon St/Washington St OOC. That only has them playing 2-3 away conference games outside their historic region per year.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 09:14:52 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35476 on: July 27, 2023, 11:01:01 AM »
This is all very fun. I’m really curious what Pac schools we’re even targeting right now. It seems like there just aren’t that many great value propositions (hence the implosion). CO and the other 4 corners makes perfect sense. WA and Oregon sounds fun for football but otherwise is just weird.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35477 on: July 27, 2023, 11:28:38 AM »
big 10 says they aren't interested in expanding any furth at this point.

Big Ten Commissioner addresses expanding further after adding USC, UCLA

The Big Ten will expand to 16 teams in 2024 when USC and UCLA are added to the conference. Could even more teams be added to the conference in the near future? It seems to be an unlikely scenario after listening to Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti at Big Ten media days.

In light of USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten next year, Tony Petitti was asked if the conference might expand even more.

“All the direction I’m getting from leadership — our presidents and chancellors and our athletic directors — is to focus on USC and UCLA,” Petitti told reporters on Wednesday. “We have a lot of work to do there. I’m proud of the scheduling format we created in football. I think it touches on all the right things. But we have significant work to do in scheduling for our other sports, especially our olympic sports, to come up with the best solutions. We have a good plan in motion. I think we’ll learn from it. Like anything, there’ll be tweaks and changes. But overall, that’s really where we are. I’m not getting direction to do anything else other than that in terms of what the conference looks like right now.”

It’s hard to believe that the Big Ten won’t revisit expansion at some point. The SEC is set to add Texas to its conference and could potentially be eyeing more candidates. Colorado is expected to join the Big 12 as part of the ever-changing landscape in college sports.

The USC football team will face Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State as part of its 2024 Big Ten schedule. UCLA is set to take on Ohio State, Michigan and Iowa, among others.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35478 on: July 27, 2023, 11:53:22 AM »
I think big 10 would rather expand with ACC teams and/or Notre Dame, and they are willing to wait.  I don't think Oregon and Washington are an option because of this.

That is what I am thinking too. The two bigs have picked who they want from Big 12 and PAC, now they wait until the ACC GOR ends for their next moves.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35479 on: July 27, 2023, 11:56:06 AM »
Man, if the PAC already met and decided against SDSU (prolly because being snobby again), are they going to change their minds now? Is proceeding with nine teams an actual option?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35480 on: July 27, 2023, 12:01:17 PM »
Man, if the PAC already met and decided against SDSU (prolly because being snobby again), are they going to change their minds now? Is proceeding with nine teams an actual option?

I could see the remaining holding their noses and adding SDSU, Fresno State, and Boise State, like we did with our knee jerk additions.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35481 on: July 27, 2023, 12:04:19 PM »
big 10 says they aren't interested in expanding any furth at this point.

Big Ten Commissioner addresses expanding further after adding USC, UCLA

The Big Ten will expand to 16 teams in 2024 when USC and UCLA are added to the conference. Could even more teams be added to the conference in the near future? It seems to be an unlikely scenario after listening to Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti at Big Ten media days.

In light of USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten next year, Tony Petitti was asked if the conference might expand even more.

“All the direction I’m getting from leadership — our presidents and chancellors and our athletic directors — is to focus on USC and UCLA,” Petitti told reporters on Wednesday. “We have a lot of work to do there. I’m proud of the scheduling format we created in football. I think it touches on all the right things. But we have significant work to do in scheduling for our other sports, especially our olympic sports, to come up with the best solutions. We have a good plan in motion. I think we’ll learn from it. Like anything, there’ll be tweaks and changes. But overall, that’s really where we are. I’m not getting direction to do anything else other than that in terms of what the conference looks like right now.”

It’s hard to believe that the Big Ten won’t revisit expansion at some point. The SEC is set to add Texas to its conference and could potentially be eyeing more candidates. Colorado is expected to join the Big 12 as part of the ever-changing landscape in college sports.

The USC football team will face Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State as part of its 2024 Big Ten schedule. UCLA is set to take on Ohio State, Michigan and Iowa, among others.

I'm hoping this is true but we all need to remember that the mechanism for conference expansion is a bunch of lying to people.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35482 on: July 27, 2023, 12:29:50 PM »

Even if they change their minds it's probably too late for SDSU unless they just decide to eat a bunch of cash or a benefactor steps up. It will cost them $34 million to leave the conference today. Clearly they don't have that much money and whatever new Pac 12 deal is eventually agreed to won't be $34 million a year, probably not close at this point.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35483 on: July 27, 2023, 12:36:18 PM »
Even if George K has a media agreement ready to roll out, if they just lost another part of their inventory, wouldn't that put him back at square one?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 12:39:21 PM by MadCat »

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35484 on: July 27, 2023, 12:39:19 PM »

Even if they change their minds it's probably too late for SDSU unless they just decide to eat a bunch of cash or a benefactor steps up. It will cost them $34 million to leave the conference today. Clearly they don't have that much money and whatever new Pac 12 deal is eventually agreed to won't be $34 million a year, probably not close at this point.

What about 2025 and beyond? Are certain PAC schools really going to be able to get beyond their snobbiness?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35485 on: July 27, 2023, 12:59:02 PM »

What about 2025 and beyond? Are certain PAC schools really going to be able to get beyond their snobbiness?

Yeah, that's the next part of this that hardly anyone is talking about when discussing what's next for the Pac 12, they don't have overwhelming support for expansion and that clearly means Stanford and Cal don't support it. If three more schools leave before they decide on expansion that really puts the actual Pac 12 brand in peril. They'd be left with 6 teams, 2 of them, the lead two, are absolutely leaving to question their commitment to FBS football.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35486 on: July 27, 2023, 01:07:39 PM »
If BY gets UO & UW to join, I hope we take UA and leave Utah/ASU to rot.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35487 on: July 27, 2023, 01:23:39 PM »
WOW!!!  Today I watched four pro PAC podcasts and everyone thinks the PAC is dead.  Most think the Big XII has a choice of UA, ASU, UU, UO, and UW.  It's amazing how the PAC talking heads see the Big XII as a lifeboat.  These same guys didn't see Big XII as having a chance to get a PAC school.  Surprising how quickly opinions change.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35488 on: July 27, 2023, 01:54:01 PM »

eff ‘em. I feel for Wazzou & Oregon St. eff Utah.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35489 on: July 27, 2023, 01:58:33 PM »
Yea big FU to Utah.  They turned their nose up to Big 12 since alignment talk started.  It then got worse with their success in football.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35490 on: July 27, 2023, 02:02:01 PM »

eff ‘em. I feel for Wazzou & Oregon St. eff Utah.

I say eff them all as they laughed at the "hateful eight" when we were down.  There was not one of the PAC schools that gave a crap about K-State or what was left of the Big XII.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35491 on: July 27, 2023, 02:04:53 PM »
Yea big FU to Utah.  They turned their nose up to Big 12 since alignment talk started.  It then got worse with their success in football.

One good thing from BY about only wanting schools that want to join the Big XII is that he knows how Utah feels.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35492 on: July 27, 2023, 02:10:38 PM »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35493 on: July 27, 2023, 02:23:32 PM »
Vid of a secret meeting between Colorado president and Yormark.https://twitter.com/Keleven80/status/1684458567514968066?s=20.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35494 on: July 27, 2023, 02:26:50 PM »

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35495 on: July 27, 2023, 02:27:14 PM »
We keep making the grossest additions

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35496 on: July 27, 2023, 02:30:34 PM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35497 on: July 27, 2023, 02:52:00 PM »
They may schedule around it, but I see some really shitty potential travel scenarios for USC and UCLA.

With the full understanding of online classes, but how much of a studanent (use your Cartman in the CU prez's office voice) athalete experience is it if say the best methodology for a UCLA or USC football is to to spend 8 or 9 straight days in the Rust Belt-Mid Atlantic because that makes more sense then flying back and forth.  How do you avoid say a Rust Belt away game-LA Home game-Rust Belt away game on back to back to back weekends?  I think that would blow. 

I cannot imagine the USC-UCLA aren't demanding some West coast partners in the Big 10.  They're going to have to written some new lines of code for that scheduling software to avoid some of these seemingly awful scenarios I would think.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35498 on: July 27, 2023, 04:16:18 PM »
Well, folks, it's official!  :billdance:

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f