Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4140351 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32925 on: November 29, 2021, 01:51:52 PM »
That gif is great

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32926 on: December 02, 2021, 11:58:21 AM »
So the 4 teams the Big 12 is adding are a combined 41-7 this season (which is crazy as hell), with one of them currently being in the CFP. But they have to play another team slated for the new Big 12 that is 11-1 in their current conference championship.

Hopefully the conference leadership can work on some TV deals because the new conference is considerably better than the PAC, and most years will probably be better than the ACC.

Current Top 40 teams (Future New Conferences)

SEC: 13
big 10: 8
Big12: 7
ACC: 5
PAC: 4

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32927 on: December 02, 2021, 03:31:10 PM »
So the 4 teams the Big 12 is adding are a combined 41-7 this season (which is crazy as hell), with one of them currently being in the CFP. But they have to play another team slated for the new Big 12 that is 11-1 in their current conference championship.

Hopefully the conference leadership can work on some TV deals because the new conference is considerably better than the PAC, and most years will probably be better than the ACC.

Conference strength really doesn't matter if nobody is watching nationally. Hopefully that's not the case, but competition doesn't necessarily bring eyeballs. That being said, Big 12 payouts should absolutely still be well above the current Pac.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32928 on: December 02, 2021, 05:14:58 PM »

Conference strength really doesn't matter if nobody is watching nationally. Hopefully that's not the case, but competition doesn't necessarily bring eyeballs. That being said, Big 12 payouts should absolutely still be well above the current Pac.

Winning puts asses in seats and eyes on the TV.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #32929 on: December 02, 2021, 05:59:11 PM »

Which is why it hurts that we won't have what is considered a NC contender or 3. It would take a crazy amount of luck, but would help immensely if OSU or Cincy flukes into a championship this year.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32930 on: December 02, 2021, 06:25:55 PM »

Which is why it hurts that we won't have what is considered a NC contender or 3. It would take a crazy amount of luck, but would help immensely if OSU or Cincy flukes into a championship this year.

I prefer OSU, since they are Big XII and Cincy is still in the AAC.  Cincy would do more for the AAC status than the Big XII.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #32931 on: December 02, 2021, 07:10:28 PM »

I prefer OSU, since they are Big XII and Cincy is still in the AAC.  Cincy would do more for the AAC status than the Big XII.
Agree, but in the end if we can have a recent NC winner in the conference it will help with clout. At least a little.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32932 on: December 03, 2021, 09:01:23 AM »
The point is, the current projected payouts for the new Big 12 are closer to the AAC than the ACC, when they should be on par or higher than the ACC.

Both and football and basketball product, and TV sets added, justify P5 status and payout. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32933 on: December 03, 2021, 11:29:34 AM »
The point is, the current projected payouts for the new Big 12 are closer to the AAC than the ACC, when they should be on par or higher than the ACC.

Both and football and basketball product, and TV sets added, justify P5 status and payout.

I haven't seen any projection that indicates that. However, it's way too early for anyone to accurately predict what the payout will be. It all depends on what networks will get involved in the bidding. If CBS doesn't get Big 10 or Pac 12 rights, they'll go all in for the Big 12.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32934 on: December 03, 2021, 12:14:57 PM »

I haven't seen any projection that indicates that. However, it's way too early for anyone to accurately predict what the payout will be. It all depends on what networks will get involved in the bidding. If CBS doesn't get Big 10 or Pac 12 rights, they'll go all in for the Big 12.

I've read multiple times that they project the conference lost 50% of it's value with OUT leaving, obviously could be clickbait.

But, you're absolutely right on the timeline. Will be interesting to even see how quick they try to move to the SEC. And even if (longshots of course) Amazon, Hulu, or other types get involved in the bidding.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32935 on: December 03, 2021, 12:19:15 PM »

I've read multiple times that they project the conference lost 50% of it's value with OUT leaving, obviously could be clickbait.

that was before the additions of the new schools, I think.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32936 on: December 03, 2021, 12:47:16 PM »

Without looking it up, say the deal is currently valued at $250 million. That's $25 mill per school currently, but you take $125 million away, and add the schools that were valued at $7 million per in their old conference (but we'll go with $10 for shits and grins), and that puts you at $165 million split between 12 schools.

You go from $25 mill per, to $14-ish mill (56% of payout).

Again, it's all just for the messageboarding to pass the time until it matters. But hard to find where they previously said the TV deal would get close to previous numbers after the adds.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32937 on: December 03, 2021, 01:36:30 PM »
When KU leaves for the Big 10 our contract won’t be worth the paper it’s printed on
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32938 on: December 03, 2021, 02:28:06 PM »

Without looking it up, say the deal is currently valued at $250 million. That's $25 mill per school currently, but you take $125 million away, and add the schools that were valued at $7 million per in their old conference (but we'll go with $10 for shits and grins), and that puts you at $165 million split between 12 schools.

You go from $25 mill per, to $14-ish mill (56% of payout).

Again, it's all just for the messageboarding to pass the time until it matters. But hard to find where they previously said the TV deal would get close to previous numbers after the adds.

I think the value of the next Big 12 contract can be larger than that for a couple of reasons.  One, those schools were worth a lot less in their old conference because they were in the AAC and were playing worse schools.  Two, if the Big 12 stays at 9 conference games, that gives you 54 games to sell rather than only 45 when there were 10 teams.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #32939 on: December 03, 2021, 02:47:46 PM »
Bowlsby publicly called out ESPN over the OU UT thing. Can't help when it comes to negotiation time, unless of course they really did eff up and we have lots of proof so they over pay us to shut up.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32940 on: December 03, 2021, 02:53:18 PM »
Bowlsby publicly called out ESPN over the OU UT thing. Can't help when it comes to negotiation time, unless of course they really did eff up and we have lots of proof so they over pay us to shut up.

That sounds to me like when Scarlett Johansson sued Disney and supposedly wasn't ever going to be able to work for them again. Disney will offer exactly as much as they would have otherwise.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #32941 on: December 03, 2021, 03:28:39 PM »

That sounds to me like when Scarlett Johansson sued Disney and supposedly wasn't ever going to be able to work for them again. Disney will offer exactly as much as they would have otherwise.
You might be right, but I don't think they'd be highly interested in us before the mud slinging. That just might cool them off a bit more.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32942 on: December 03, 2021, 06:30:03 PM »

That will not matter a single bit. The bid will be solely about how much live content they feel like they need.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32943 on: December 03, 2021, 07:08:46 PM »
i’d rather go with fox

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32944 on: January 13, 2022, 02:25:59 PM »
Seems like this guy has the same suggestion that I mentioned.  This is in response to John Kurtz's CFP negotiations podcast yesterday.

Those extra bowl games should be moved to the beginning of the year, thus creating great matchups in the beginning of the year. I think we need to reward conference champions from all conferences and move to 16 team playoff. This makes the season important down to the last game. If a 6-6 team beats a 10-2 team for the conference, that 10-2 team falls into the at-large selection pool of 6 best teams available. The first rounds should be at the top seed sights to reward fans and teams. This gives ALL teams under the FBS umbrella an opportunity and direct path to the playoff (no subjective criteria bs, leave that to at-large). This does not devalue the season, because everyone is invested.

A little different than I suggested with only a 12 team playoff, along with two of the highest-ranked nonchampions.  The main thing is it makes every conference a part of the CFP and turns the whole season into a meaningful completion.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32945 on: January 13, 2022, 02:55:37 PM »
I like it but would put a cap on the number of teams from any 1 conference being selected...I think the bowl games should stay at the end as a reward for the seniors.  The teams are going to be much different by the beginning of the next season in most cases
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 03:02:32 PM by MadCat »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32946 on: January 13, 2022, 03:49:16 PM »
A two team cap should be included.  With ten of the spots taken by CCG champs, there would only be two teams left to pick from so a cap should not be a problem.  I do think this would increase interest in the regular for all 10 conferences.  Every game would have meaning and the CCGs' would be very highly watched and attended.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32947 on: January 14, 2022, 12:16:02 PM »
I don’t know if this is the right thread.

ACC commish just killed playoff expansion wanting to wait for an entire CFB overhaul & maybe more conference realignment.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32948 on: January 14, 2022, 06:03:42 PM »
I don’t know if this is the right thread.

ACC commish just killed playoff expansion wanting to wait for an entire CFB overhaul & maybe more conference realignment.

As John Kurtz would say, "What a stupid ass rookie.".

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32949 on: January 14, 2022, 06:18:09 PM »
They don’t want to trigger a renegotiation of the playoff and let ESPN get a longer contract.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best