Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4073246 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #27475 on: March 08, 2016, 07:53:42 PM »
Any new deal will have to give Texas more money than they would get by just sticking with the LHN.

It would be really shitty to ask the two new teams to effectively fund Texas's "better deal," but I would not be surprised in the least to see them do exactly that.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27476 on: March 08, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »
Any new deal will have to give Texas more money than they would get by just sticking with the LHN.

It would be really shitty to ask the two new teams to effectively fund Texas's "better deal," but I would not be surprised in the least to see them do exactly that.
i don't think it would be all that shitty tbh to ask them to give ut a cut of their money.  everyone else in the b12 is already doing it and any incremental dime they get is due to playing in the same conference as ut.  assuming we're talking about some garbagey pos mid-major team and not anyone worth a damn.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #27477 on: March 09, 2016, 08:14:32 AM »
The idiocy of some fans in the B12 who want to see their school go to the BIG still flourishes. 

Nebraska outside of Vball is a zombie athletic program now mired in mediocrity.   The BIG assimilated Penn State and again outside of Vball they've done nothing.   

Maryland and Rutgers are just along for the ride and I predict that outside of some splashes here and there from Maryland both will be pretty much inconsequential on the landscape of college athletics. 

As a poster on Shaggy said if OU and Texas were to go to the BIG it would be akin to Old Yeller'ing both schools athletic programs.  But there are still idiot KU fans who want KU to go to the BIG.

The BIG exists to feed its old cornerstone schools and anyone who doesn't see that just isn't very smart.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27478 on: March 09, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »
What KU fans can't seem to grasp is that is fun to hate other schools. They claim to be rid of MU. They claim to want to be rid of us. They apparently want emotionless sports where nobody particularly cares about them and they don't particularly care about anyone else. It's very odd.

Familiarity breeds contempt, and they want that gone. They'll all be dead before they have another real rival....if it ever happened.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27479 on: March 09, 2016, 01:35:37 PM »
Now you've got these attempts to manufacture rivalries like Corn vs Iowa or MethU vs Arkansas.   While there is some zeal there, it's still barely registering on the rival-o-meter. 

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27480 on: March 11, 2016, 01:33:11 PM »
For what it's worth, BITB recounted a conversation with NUBB fans he ran across at the tourney yesterday. The hate the BIG and long to return to the Big-12. Of course, they were KC area fans but hard to believe that isn't widespread and growing  sentiment.
Corn pride, tho, so won't every happen as we'll have to tell the disbelieving grandchildren about big red and its place in history with U. of Chicago and School of the South.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27481 on: March 11, 2016, 02:17:08 PM »
wish I could say I felt sorry for them

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27482 on: March 11, 2016, 04:28:29 PM »
they are that co-worker who told off the boss on their way to quitting and now works at bed bath and beyond. Not coming back, but wishing they could.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27483 on: March 12, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »
they are that co-worker who told off the boss on their way to quitting and now works at bed bath and beyond. Not coming back, but wishing they could.

Imperfect analogy.  They don't work at Bed Bath and Beyond...they work at a large major corporation and make a quite a bit more money than their last job, but they hate their job, they aren't respected or appreciated by their colleagues, and they have zero chance of ever getting promoted again.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #27484 on: March 13, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »

Imperfect analogy.  They don't work at Bed Bath and Beyond...they work at a large major corporation and make a quite a bit more money than their last job, but they hate their job, they aren't respected or appreciated by their colleagues, and they have zero chance of ever getting promoted again.

Given what their T3 rights may have been valued at, I don't think it's a big raise.

The Big Train

« Reply #27485 on: April 16, 2016, 09:43:27 AM »
:surprised:

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27486 on: April 16, 2016, 10:14:25 AM »
 :surprised:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27488 on: April 16, 2016, 01:00:20 PM »
Is this happening?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-big-12-expansion-mike-bianchi-0414-20160413-column.html
certainly hope not, 25k peeps a game won't cut it.  you can talk TV sets until you're blue in the face but it doesn't matter if no one is watching them.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27489 on: April 16, 2016, 01:18:32 PM »
Forgot that Scott Frost coaches their football squad now. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27490 on: April 16, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »
Mike Bianchi is a hack, remember this?
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-25/sports/os-bianchi-ucf-kansas-state-20100925_1_ucf-knights-bcs-opponent-knights-fall
Dude has good ass ears to hear what a fan told a player all the way from the press box.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27491 on: April 16, 2016, 03:34:24 PM »
if i was ucf i would be on my hands and knees begging for attention too.  what idiotic losers.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27492 on: April 16, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »
Mike Bianchi is a hack, remember this?
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-25/sports/os-bianchi-ucf-kansas-state-20100925_1_ucf-knights-bcs-opponent-knights-fall
Dude has good ass ears to hear what a fan told a player all the way from the press box.

The lede on this article is something else. It reads like he's super butt hurt over the loss and wanted to get as close as possible to 'hick'

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27493 on: April 16, 2016, 04:07:27 PM »
yup, like he forgot he lives in Florida.  which is like the most embarrassing place to live in the entire northern hemisphere

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27494 on: April 17, 2016, 07:05:31 PM »

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27495 on: April 18, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »

Stud Joel Klatt is trying hard to not shame the kid.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27496 on: April 18, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
That game reminds me that the Sniper Cat logo theme is worth a look.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27497 on: April 19, 2016, 03:23:50 PM »
People reporting BigTen reached deal with Fox for $250MM/yr for 1/2 of non-BTN content (25FB/50BB games per year).  Quick math puts BigTen non-BTN money at $500MM per year or almost $36MM per school starting in 2017.  Over $35MM per school before BTN money.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27498 on: April 19, 2016, 03:28:34 PM »
Zero surprise: Fox is going to pay the Big Ten

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2016/04/19/Big-Ten.aspx

Fox is close to signing a deal that gives it half of the Big Ten’s available media rights package, according to several sources. Deal terms still are flexible – both in terms of money and rights. However, the two sides have agreed on basic terms that will give Fox the rights to around 25 football games and 50 basketball games that it will carry on both the broadcast channel and FS1 starting in the fall of '17. The deal runs six years and could cost Fox as much as $250M per year, depending on the amount of rights the Big Ten conference puts in its second package.

In a way, that could be good for us because it will elevate the Fox broadcasts and FS1 broadcasts.  Bad news is that more games will probably get pushed to FSN or FS2.  The other thing is that ESPN may have anticipated this because our allotment of games on ESPN is set to go up in 2016.  I think by 6-8 games spread out over the year.  That could go up with the rights swapping that ESPN and Fox have.

The other half of those games will go to market for ESPN, CBS, etc.  However, I'm guessing that Fox gets first pass, so the other games won't get as much on the open market.

The other big thing to take from this is that ESPN put an underwhelming offer out there because of cost cutting efforts that Disney has forced upon them.  We knew that was happening, but it's always interesting to see how this plays out.

For those that are anti-expansion, this is probably a good thing because ESPN certainly isn't going to give us more money, and Fox may be tapped out after this deal.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27499 on: April 19, 2016, 03:32:04 PM »
People reporting BigTen reached deal with Fox for $250MM/yr for 1/2 of non-BTN content (25FB/50BB games per year).  Quick math puts BigTen non-BTN money at $500MM per year or almost $36MM per school starting in 2017.  Over $35MM per school before BTN money.

Don't assume that the other half of that money will get $250 million.  It may get half of that.

The other thing is that the Big Ten itself will take a cut of that money, probably a full share (divide by 15 and not 14).  Also, I'm sure the deal is backloaded like every other deal.

What this does do is give Fox greater incentive to protect Big Ten content, and it may create some synergy with the BTN.  BTN may get some protection in the coming a la carte days if Fox wants to protect its investment.