Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4168956 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #17850 on: January 24, 2012, 01:54:51 PM »
lol at the idea that the Big 12 is going to add good teams

I don't even want to add good teams. The conference at the 10 teams it has now is perfect.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17851 on: January 24, 2012, 05:20:50 PM »
TheCouchBurner on Twitter:

If 12.5 mil turns out to be true, #WVU legal team did a fine job. #Big12 in 2012

Sounds like it's close

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17852 on: January 24, 2012, 07:11:55 PM »
TheCouchBurner on Twitter:

If 12.5 mil turns out to be true, #WVU legal team did a fine job. #Big12 in 2012

Sounds like it's close

At the time WVU announced it was leaving the Big East, the buyout was $5 million and 27 months.  To turn that into $12.5 million and 9 months is a pretty solid effort. 

I've also seen numbers tossed around like $24 or $25 million.  IMO, if WVU pays that much to get out, it's an epic fail by their legal team.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17853 on: January 24, 2012, 10:15:06 PM »

TheCouchBurner:
@CNSCasey you know how it works..."they" are saying it, but it should be finalized in the next few weeks. schedules must be finalized

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17854 on: January 25, 2012, 06:44:43 AM »
12 to 18 mill is probably good work by them for how they exited. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17855 on: January 25, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »
12 to 18 mill is probably good work by them for how they exited. 

12 Million is a steal.  Wasn't the original buyout 10 million plus 24 months?(Didn't they put down 5 up front)?

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17856 on: January 25, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »
Louisville To Big 12 talk...

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyCBS  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open
Big 12 expansion meeting today. B12 has to decide if it wants 10, 11, 12 teams. Louisville slam dunk choice for No. 11

http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/big-12-conference-reopens-expansion-talk/29477

Louisville, which the Big 12 considered adding last year, is the likeliest choice, according to people with knowledge of the talks. And Brigham Young, another university the conference has considered, continues to be a possible target. One official said the league was open to adding just one institution. “The Big Ten made 11 work for a number of years,” the source told The Chronicle.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17857 on: January 25, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
Louisville To Big 12 talk...

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyCBS  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open
Big 12 expansion meeting today. B12 has to decide if it wants 10, 11, 12 teams. Louisville slam dunk choice for No. 11

http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/big-12-conference-reopens-expansion-talk/29477

Louisville, which the Big 12 considered adding last year, is the likeliest choice, according to people with knowledge of the talks. And Brigham Young, another university the conference has considered, continues to be a possible target. One official said the league was open to adding just one institution. “The Big Ten made 11 work for a number of years,” the source told The Chronicle.

:cheese:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17858 on: January 25, 2012, 02:41:33 PM »
WTF is that website?

Pulled from the comments...

I'm tired of BYU being Charlie Brown and the Big 12 being Lucy and pulling the football away just as we run up to kick off.  I'm not going to pay any attention to the BYU-to-the-Big-12 rumors until I hear something definitive from Tom Holmoe.

Let's see: The Big Ten has eleven teams, and the Big 12 has only ten, but is considering expanding to eleven. The Pac-Whatever now includes Idaho and its great Pacific beaches, and the Big East includes those Eastern Seaboard institutions, Cincinnati and Louisville.

Am I to assume the commissioners of those conferences are former D-I football players who majored in math (OK, arithmetic) and geography?

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17859 on: January 25, 2012, 03:37:40 PM »
WTF is that website?

Pulled from the comments...

I'm tired of BYU being Charlie Brown and the Big 12 being Lucy and pulling the football away just as we run up to kick off.  I'm not going to pay any attention to the BYU-to-the-Big-12 rumors until I hear something definitive from Tom Holmoe.

Let's see: The Big Ten has eleven teams, and the Big 12 has only ten, but is considering expanding to eleven. The Pac-Whatever now includes Idaho and its great Pacific beaches, and the Big East includes those Eastern Seaboard institutions, Cincinnati and Louisville.

Am I to assume the commissioners of those conferences are former D-I football players who majored in math (OK, arithmetic) and geography?

Some people just don't appreciate history while being sticklers for math and geography.  Big 10 has 12 schools though.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17860 on: January 25, 2012, 04:00:13 PM »
If Big 12 decides 11 is a good point to stop expanding, then that just tells me they are clinging on to hope that we have a fighting chance at ND when they finally need to pick conference to join.  Or....a sign that ND joins Big 12 for Olympic sports, and we keep at 11 for football.

This is the only reason 11 worked well for the Big 10 for so long.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #17861 on: January 25, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »
If Big 12 decides 11 is a good point to stop expanding, then that just tells me they are clinging on to hope that we have a fighting chance at ND when they finally need to pick conference to join.  Or....a sign that ND joins Big 12 for Olympic sports, and we keep at 11 for football.

This is the only reason 11 worked weqll fhr the Big 10 for so long.

I think the stop gap would be ND in basketball and the non-revenues until ND decides on a future course of action.

BYU joins in football only until then with an option to join later should they stop demanding things they have no juice to actually demand.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17862 on: January 25, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »
I don't want Notre Dame or BYU unless they are full members. I don't care whats "best" for the Big 12 financially, that would suck.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #17863 on: January 25, 2012, 06:10:24 PM »
Agreed.  eff that crap.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17864 on: January 25, 2012, 09:06:18 PM »
I third the crap-rough ridin'.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17865 on: January 25, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »
I third the crap-rough ridin'.
Hey third turd rough rider, here's some info. I found...
At least they waited until the offseason to discuss it this time. The Big 12 committee charged with evaluating expansion options for the conference will meet today to discuss potential expansion targets as well as big picture decisions concerning whether or not expanding back to 12 teams and hosting a conference championship game should be pursued. This is an important development for the Big East because, according to a report in the Chronicle of Higher Education, Louisville is a high priority target for the Big 12, should the conference decide to expand further.

Brad Wolverton writes:

Further Big 12 expansion is "very possible," two high-ranking sources told The Chronicle. An expansion committee, dormant for months after the conference accepted West Virginia and TCU into league play, will meet today to discuss its options.

While conference officials stressed that no decision is imminent–and there is some opposition to moving beyond the current 10 member institutions–two schools are at the top of the list, should the league make a move.

Louisville, which the Big 12 considered adding last year, is the likeliest choice, according to people with knowledge of the talks. And Brigham Young, another university the conference has considered, continues to be a possible target. One official said the league was open to adding just one institution. The Big Ten made 11 work for a number of years, the source told The Chronicle.

Just adding one team, even if that team is Louisville from the Big East, would likely satisfy both factions in the Big 12 that want to expand further for the television value, but do not want to have divisional play and play a conference title game. Losing Louisville would be a big blow to the Big East, but with the conference set on further expansion anyway, it would not likely result in the complete demise of the conference. With Pittsburgh and Syracuse remaining with the conference for two more seasons, the Big East would at least have time to try and find a replacement full member to maintain the football side of the conference.
 :gocho:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17866 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:53 PM »
Quote from: @GSwaim
#Big12 will definitely go to 12 for 2013 season, as TV partners demanding it. Also new 2013 #BCS contract renewal will have impact.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #17867 on: January 25, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
#Big12 will definitely go to 12 for 2013 season, as TV partners demanding it. Also new 2013 #BCS contract renewal will have impact.

When the BCS removes AQ status, it's going to be all about money.  And we're the only conference with open doors, and we're currently sitting at #4.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17868 on: January 26, 2012, 12:54:47 PM »

When the BCS removes AQ status, it's going to be all about money.  And we're the only conference with open doors, and we're currently sitting at #4.
Hope the expanision committe decides too include/invite Louisville and let them wait the two years like Pittsburgh and Syracuse.  That way they will be a part of the conference when the tier 1 network contract renewal is in play.  Maybe that is a sure sign we are making an effort to get Norte Dame, but doing it quitely.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17869 on: January 26, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »
greg swaim is such a loveable dumbass

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17870 on: January 26, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »
Anybody know when the expanision committe meeting is over today?

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17871 on: January 26, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »

When they run out of blow and the hookers leave.  :dunno:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17872 on: January 26, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: MadCat, I always enjoy your posts.

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17873 on: January 26, 2012, 01:46:25 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: MadCat, I always enjoy your posts.

I don't know if Neinas parties like Beebe.  Judging by his comments on expansion I'm guessing he doesn't get invited.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17874 on: January 26, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »
All I know is that if Neinas loves to run his mouth and seems like a shoot from the hip with a machine gun kind of guy so I love him. He's just a big shot, ya know?

Big 12 interim commissioner Chuck Neinas was clearly peeved when he told the Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette on Wednesday that Missouri’s move to the Southeastern Conference next school year was “selfish” and “disruptive.”

But Neinas didn’t just stop there when contacted by telephone by The Star on Thursday afternoon.

He was asked why he was saying those things now when Missouri’s move to the SEC in 2012-13 was already announced, just as Neinas had already assured West Virginia’s move from the Big East to the Big 12 would happen in 2012.

“Because it’s true,” Neinas said..

:lol:

http://m.kansascity.com/kcstar/pm_730/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=yNt2Zk1d
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:07:56 PM by michigancat »