Author Topic: This site is a cancer to the success of this basketball team !  (Read 5506 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: This site is a cancer to the success of this basketball team !
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »
let's not pretend that likability is the key factor here.

i think it matters.  13-14 is going to cause some muttering, no matter who you are.  but if former kstate bball playing and coaching legend bunderwood had won a big 12 title and then tanked, he'd be getting more benefit and less doubt than previous failure bweber is getting.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 04:00:53 PM »

i think it matters.  13-14 is going to cause some muttering, no matter who you are.  but if former kstate bball playing and coaching legend bunderwood had won a big 12 title and then tanked, he'd be getting more benefit and less doubt than previous failure bweber is getting.

Jim Wooldridge coached here for six years. Likability rough ridin' matters.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »

He wasn't Asbury.  That was more about hate than like.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 04:03:34 PM »

He wasn't Asbury.  That was more about hate than like.

For the first couple years, maybe. Certainly not for year six though. He got a sixth year because of sentimentality. People really wanted to see Jim succeed.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 04:08:14 PM »
Wooly was thought to be competitive by some fans.  He was losing, but barely.  The KState condition is that we are some lowly bumfuck place that we will never be able to get quality talent to, so take what we can get and try super hard.  Those fans are still around and still trying to ruin everything as if hope is a cancer.  I think a bunch of them thought Wooly was one year, one player, one call away from really turning a corner.  Take what you can get because who would want us anyway type mentality.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »

He also wouldn't have failed before at a similar job.  Weber got a lot more time, likability aside, at Illinois because he had succeeded at SIU immediately prior.  Just needed to get his high major legs. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »
So if Currie had brought him in to replace Frank after oscar's SIU stint and his Illinois tenure never existed then you've got a completely different perceived oscar on your hands.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 04:11:51 PM »
Though being a proven loser does arguably decrease one's general likability. 

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 04:14:05 PM »
Wooly was thought to be competitive by some fans.
Hell, Wooly even had Jason Whitlock in his corner toward the end. Jason usually hates everybody, except Jeff George.
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2015, 04:14:25 PM »
Consistently beating bad teams is an underrated aspect of a good team.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2015, 04:16:43 PM »
He also wouldn't have failed before at a similar job.  Weber got a lot more time, likability aside, at Illinois because he had succeeded at SIU immediately prior.  Just needed to get his high major legs.

again, i wonder just how much oscar really failed in the big ten. at least relative to expectations. the big ten he walked into is much different than the big ten he left. when he was coaching at illinois, the big ten was typically the fourth or fifth best league in the country. it was that way throughout his tenure. in his final two years (and the ensuing two years after) the big ten was the toughest conference. no matter what he does, he's not surpassing izzo, bo, beilein or matta. all those coaches are more talented and have better, more established programs. in his final season, the year everything went wrong, he played the 7th, 3rd, 10th, 23rd, 28th, 2nd, 23rd and 7th best teams in a six-week stretch to close the season. things went poorly...but it wasn't unsurprising. he didn't have a top 15 caliber team that can hang with those teams, especially not on the road.

this year, it's the same story. by season's end, k-state...a team that on paper isn't a top 25 team...will have played 11 teams rated 25th or better in big 12 play. they've won four of the seven so far, and with a team that's in apparent disarray. the tcu and texas tech losses...awful...obviously. and again, oscar sucks, he's unlikable, his sideline demeanor is the worst of any coach i've ever seen, etc.

but going forward, k-state...with oscar...with any coach...is not going to be a consistent, every year top-5 team in this league. it just isn't going to happen.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »

yes
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2015, 04:18:40 PM »

yes

It would drastically have changed this year.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 04:21:55 PM »

again, i wonder just how much oscar really failed in the big ten. at least relative to expectations. the big ten he walked into is much different than the big ten he left. when he was coaching at illinois, the big ten was typically the fourth or fifth best league in the country. it was that way throughout his tenure. in his final two years (and the ensuing two years after) the big ten was the toughest conference. no matter what he does, he's not surpassing izzo, bo, beilein or matta. all those coaches are more talented and have better, more established programs. in his final season, the year everything went wrong, he played the 7th, 3rd, 10th, 23rd, 28th, 2nd, 23rd and 7th best teams in a six-week stretch to close the season. things went poorly...but it wasn't unsurprising. he didn't have a top 15 caliber team that can hang with those teams, especially not on the road.

this year, it's the same story. by season's end, k-state...a team that on paper isn't a top 25 team...will have played 11 teams rated 25th or better in big 12 play. they've won four of the seven so far, and with a team that's in apparent disarray. the tcu and texas tech losses...awful...obviously. and again, oscar sucks, he's unlikable, his sideline demeanor is the worst of any coach i've ever seen, etc.

but going forward, k-state...with oscar...with any coach...is not going to be a consistent, every year top-5 team in this league. it just isn't going to happen.
Big 10 has always been a top heavy conference. I think it is harder to finish in the top third in the Big 10 than the Big 12. You have coaches like Izzo, Bo Ryan, Thad Matta and on top of that schools like Indiana and Michigan. Big 10 has a lot weakness at the bottom.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 04:22:18 PM »

That's just not true at all. I mean, literally, our last coach just did that very thing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:25:40 PM by ksupamplemousse »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2015, 04:23:28 PM »
no matter what he does, he's not surpassing izzo, bo, beilein or matta. all those coaches are more talented

Yeah, when it becomes apparent that no matter what a coach does, he's always going to be worse than half of his league because he's just not good enough, that is when school's typically decide to try somebody else.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »

oscar didn't change, the big 10 did is something oscar should have been saying when he got fired or was about to be.  He would have loved that talking point.  It's fantastic.

Quote from: The Father, The Son, and The Holy DeBruce
The big 10 of today is as good as it's ever been, better even. So 9th is really 4th, maybe 3rd if you really think about it. Here I am getting fired after finishing the season in 3rd place.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »

That's just not true at all. I mean, literally, our last coach just did that very thing.

Frank Martin's Big 12 was far easier than the Big 12 of the present and future.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2015, 04:52:36 PM »

Not to finish top 5 in, it wasn't.

Offline Super fan#99

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »

Far easier?  Mizzou was a top 25 team, UT was probably better, Baylor was relatively similar, A&M was solid.  The only major change would probably be ISU's emergence from mediocrity to not as shitty.  It's not like we have any great teams in the Big 12 right now.  2009-10 Cats would win this conference. 

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 05:06:22 PM »
Missouri, KU, and Baylor were all in the top ten Frank's final year, and he finished in the top five of the Big XII...with a freshman point guard.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
This is why beems is so successful here.  The low-hanging grapes of gE. 

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2015, 05:24:53 PM »

yeah. j rake is going straight up :Take the Bait:

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Pretty sure he's not fishing. If he is, then good for him, I'm an idiot and he got me.

Offline Super fan#99

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 05:51:52 PM »

yeah. j rake is going straight up :Take the Bait:
Well that sucks.  I guess that makes me a low hanging grape :blush: Maybe if I practice real hard I can be one of the cool bros on a message board  :thumbsup: