Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 380892 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #5951 on: September 25, 2023, 10:51:46 PM »
https://m.facebook.com/PrincetonPopcorn/videos/the-best-popcorn-youve-never-tried/1003300044354003/

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Lol, I like how he says that his popcorn is gluten free....

As someone who has to look to make sure it's gluten free on ever-y-rough ridin'-thing now I appreciate this even if it's obvious tbh.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #5952 on: September 26, 2023, 08:21:54 AM »
https://www.agweb.com/news/machinery/used-machinery/holy-grails-us-history-two-plows-forged-john-deere-hide-iowa-farm

How sweet would one of these be for the Farmageddon trophy.

Tom

« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 09:00:52 AM by KST8FAN »

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: September 27, 2023, 09:03:21 PM »
Scored a nice sprayer (never used) for about half of new.  Off week will be used to spray the scourge that is lespedezia.

Tom

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5955 on: October 03, 2023, 05:31:57 PM »
Wild seeing that cow deflate like a balloon, though she did look relieved (as would I). Has @stevedave or anyone else ever experienced this irl?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: October 03, 2023, 05:47:40 PM »
My old man did it many times and yes it vomited stink gas smell.  The only thing different is she is entering from the back.  When I helped with gassing a bloated cow we stuck a small pocket knife in the side of the belly and then used a copper pipe around 5/8 to 3/4 inch in diameter.  It took quite a while for the gas to drain, so Pop would have me sit on the cow's belly to speed up the process.
One of the worst farm jobs around and would not recommend it.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: October 04, 2023, 07:28:01 AM »
Did some flint hills pasture spraying last Saturday.  About 40 replacement heifers waiting for their ride back to the home place.  The old truck cab has been on this place since dad bought it.  Tater enjoyed a 100 gal shower after we drained our unused water from the tank.

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: October 04, 2023, 10:26:54 AM »
The juggalo cows/sunset/flint hills combo is incredibly sexy.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: October 04, 2023, 10:28:21 AM »
Wild seeing that cow deflate like a balloon, though she did look relieved (as would I). Has @stevedave or anyone else ever experienced this irl?
Yep.  Been a part of two cow deflations.  My experiences were more similar to Katdaddy's though I didn't have to sit on the cow to speed up the process.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: October 04, 2023, 11:36:34 AM »
Did some flint hills pasture spraying last Saturday.  About 40 replacement heifers waiting for their ride back to the home place.  The old truck cab has been on this place since dad bought it.  Tater enjoyed a 100 gal shower after we drained our unused water from the tank.

Tom

:love:

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: October 04, 2023, 12:08:18 PM »
Stabbed into some corn yesterday. Got rained out for today.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: October 04, 2023, 12:18:09 PM »
Embarrassingly low farming IQ, so I apologize for this question, but what happens with the stalks? You know, the majority of the plant ...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 01:12:42 PM by Spracne »

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: October 04, 2023, 01:02:01 PM »
Embarrassingly low farming IQ, so I apologize for this question, but what happens with the stocks? You know, the majority of the plant ...
When corn is harvested for the grain only, the stalks are usually left on the field. The stalks themselves are where the majority of the potassium is stored for the plant. When they are left on the field, they will break down and return the potassium to the soil for the needs of future crops. Some farmers will also bale the corn stalks for livestock bedding.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: October 04, 2023, 01:13:33 PM »
K.

I appreciate the knowledge drop.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: October 04, 2023, 01:47:58 PM »

Any yield estimates?  We (the renter) harvested last weekend.  Made 160-180.

Got a harvest moon shot with the stalks.

Tom

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: October 04, 2023, 02:07:50 PM »
I have witnessed cow deflations. It is gross.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: October 04, 2023, 02:09:12 PM »

Is there a term for it? Or did I accidentally stumble upon deflation?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: October 04, 2023, 02:09:32 PM »

that looks great. have you harvested any beans? Dad cut some last week that make about 10 bu / acre after drought and hail impacts. He said the insurance adjuster was coming out - hopefully it will save him the time and fuel need to harvest any more fields that are that terrible.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: October 04, 2023, 02:15:09 PM »

Is there a term for it? Or did I accidentally stumble upon deflation?
maybe a fistulization?

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5970 on: October 04, 2023, 02:46:46 PM »
Any yield estimates?  We (the renter) harvested last weekend.  Made 160-180.

Tom
I'm not sure how it's doing as I was driving truck all day. I would guess about average for our area since the combine operator wasn't griping about yields.

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: October 04, 2023, 02:57:40 PM »
that looks great. have you harvested any beans? Dad cut some last week that make about 10 bu / acre after drought and hail impacts. He said the insurance adjuster was coming out - hopefully it will save him the time and fuel need to harvest any more fields that are that terrible.
We are mostly done harvesting our beans. They've been a little below average which is a lot better than I was expecting. I saw a lot of flat pods and figured we were in for an insurance claim. Turns out I checked about the worst parts of the field.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: October 04, 2023, 08:44:37 PM »
Yep.  Been a part of two cow deflations.  My experiences were more similar to Katdaddy's though I didn't have to sit on the cow to speed up the process.

schreds21, I was a kid during those times and didn't weigh that much.  I am sure that my adult weight would probably hurt a cow in the bloated condition.  I actually kneeled on a cow with the stinking gas floating in my nostrils and that was one of the reasons I dreaded it.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: October 04, 2023, 10:10:15 PM »
We are mostly done harvesting our beans. They've been a little below average which is a lot better than I was expecting. I saw a lot of flat pods and figured we were in for an insurance claim. Turns out I checked about the worst parts of the field.
Glad to hear that they turned out okay.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: October 04, 2023, 10:12:40 PM »
Stabbing a cow and shoving a pipe in the hole is the most cow farmer crap I've ever heard of
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite