Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 360571 times)

Online farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
Our moisture is pretty good here. Mostly waiting on it to dry out a little bit to finish planting. Everything that's been planted is off to an excellent start. Wheat should be set up pretty good to have good yields. Weather during grain fill will be important now.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Our moisture is pretty good here. Mostly waiting on it to dry out a little bit to finish planting. Everything that's been planted is off to an excellent start. Wheat should be set up pretty good to have good yields. Weather during grain fill will be important now.
Hope that your operation has a prosperous year.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
gonna need you to feed more of the world than normal this year, farming_cat.  so, good luck.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Skip ahead to 6:50 when they break out a JD 95 from the 1950s and run it along with the modern machines:

https://youtu.be/vT_VDYn1H-4

The song that they play during that part of the video was also very familiar.  I originally thought it was from the Hoosiers soundtrack, but I was wrong.  It was from Rudy instead!

Same composer though.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
is wheat the whole stick or just the top part?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
There was some decent looking wheat out in NW KS but the majority of it looked pretty shitty, wind erosion in some spots and spotty growth. They didn't get any real precipitation from Oct to April.

Best of luck on getting the wheat in without any issues.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Token pic of our cow farmer Nate's yearling cows hanging out by the windmill.

#62 was moving slow and off by itself with drool hanging out of it's mouth coughing and my dad mentioned it's probably sick. I told him he better tell Nate to hit him with the Nuflor needle and my dad was shocked to know I knew what that was.

Look at all this knowledge I am absorbing from the best farming thread on a sports themed message board in the world.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Farming_cat

Where's our spring drone pix of you planting?

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
So far it's been too windy to put the bird in the air the days that we've been planting. Here is a video that I shot last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyli7K_i1Fs
Thanks farming_cat.  I always stress when I see a planter with both markers up until I realize you're running using GPS.  Probably just sitting in the cab reading goEMAW.

Do you like the White planter?  I've known one other farmer who had one, and they liked it.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

#62 was moving slow and off by itself with drool hanging out of it's mouth coughing and my dad mentioned it's probably sick. I told him he better tell Nate to hit him with the Nuflor needle and my dad was shocked to know I knew what that was.

Look at all this knowledge I am absorbing from the best farming thread on a sports themed message board in the world.

Probably whatever is in that contrail is making the cows sick.

Tom

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
That's one of those Chinese hurricane contrails.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Farming_cat

Tom

So far it's been too windy to put the bird in the air the days that we've been planting. Here is a video that I shot last year.

Nice perspective on the planting. Is your moisture situation okay? Was talking to one of Mrs SSOC's family members from the Pratt area and they are hurting for moisture - bad enough that even wheat is suffering.

Have you seen any of this guy's farming / drone videos? Skip ahead to 6:50 when they break out a JD 95 from the 1950s and run it along with the modern machines:

https://youtu.be/vT_VDYn1H-4

No idea what this thing is but maybe it blows grain or something?

Gawd I'm such a newb, after watching that 1950's JD tractor I realized this thing was to used to move the grain from the old timey combine to the grain truck.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I almost forgot about the equipment seats.  If you let them go for $25 ea, you are giving them away.  They are almost as popular as steel wheels.  Let's say I saw them go for around $100 to $150 at auctions when they are cleaned up, but not painted or power bushed since that will destroy the art value.  People use them as seating next to their garage/barn/house.  Usually, weld the equipment mount to a metal post as this makes the seat bouncy like when it was on the horse-drawn equipment.

Here is an online auction site that might help you with the value of your equipment. 
https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/for-sale/horse-drawn-equipment/40045

Getting around to checking this site out and I'm going to email some of the sellers to see if they have any interest in the old implements. When you and Tom make the trip to the antique farm circuit this summer feel free to mention you know a guy who has some old timey goods waiting to be picked up.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Probably whatever is in that contrail is making the cows sick.

Tom

Tom, return that overpriced box scraper and grab this tried and true scraper (I'm assuming that's what it is) from the cat ranch for free.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
catranchPAK 2022

Online farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
Farming_cat

Tom

Thanks farming_cat.  I always stress when I see a planter with both markers up until I realize you're running using GPS.  Probably just sitting in the cab reading goEMAW.

Do you like the White planter?  I've known one other farmer who had one, and they liked it.

Tom

You're correct. We have been running Auto-Steer for a few years now. It has been a great asset that allows me to catch up on goEMAW.

We have been getting along pretty good with the White planter. I worked for AGCO for a few years out of college as a design engineer for White planters. That helped with the decision to buy one as I knew my way around them pretty well.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
That's one of those Chinese hurricane contrails.

Someone shoot it!!!!  :ohno:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Farming_cat

Tom

Tom

You're correct. We have been running Auto-Steer for a few years now. It has been a great asset that allows me to catch up on goEMAW.

We have been getting along pretty good with the White planter. I worked for AGCO for a few years out of college as a design engineer for White planters. That helped with the decision to buy one as I knew my way around them pretty well.

Do you have another job or is it farming 24/7 365 now for farming_cat?

Online farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
Do you have another job or is it farming 24/7 365 now for farming_cat?
I have another job. I would like to farm 24/7 365, but that is not in the cards yet.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
revisiting this question since it was ignored by everyone probably because it’s too advanced?

let’s assume wheat is the whole thing that sticks up from the ground, so the stick, the leaves, and the seeds next to the leaves, it’s crazy to think that the mayans or maybe incas, iroquois? decided to smash the stick/leaves/seeds together between two cement stones (assuming this is what a combine is) and then you would have flour which has vitamins and minerals in it. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
revisiting this question since it was ignored by everyone probably because it’s too advanced?

let’s assume wheat is the whole thing that sticks up from the ground, so the stick, the leaves, and the seeds next to the leaves, it’s crazy to think that the mayans or maybe incas, iroquois? decided to smash the stick/leaves/seeds together between two cement stones (assuming this is what a combine is) and then you would have flour which has vitamins and minerals in it.

I know for sure that you have to at least separate the wheat from the chaff. As per the Bible.

"He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with his winnowing fork. Then he will clean up the threshing area, gathering the wheat into his barn but burning the chaff with unquenchable fire.” --Matthew 3:12

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
chaff?  we’re talking wheat.  unless chaff is a weed that grows in/around wheat like crabgrass for wheat?

Online farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile

The entire plant is wheat. The grain (seeds) itself is harvested with a combine. The combine separates the grain from the MOG (material other than grain) or chaff. Flour is made from only the grain at the mill. The remaining stock of the plant is considered straw. Some farmers will choose to bale the straw and either sell it or use it as bedding for livestock. Other farmers leave it on the field as there are nutrients in the straw that will be available for other crops to use once it is broken down over time.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
thanks farming_cat fan.  it’s hilarious how much more you know about farming than the rest of the poser downgrades ITT.  a few of these guys bought a garth brooks compact disc in high school and decided they were john deere reincarnated.

one follow up- is straw the same thing as hay?  and if there’s vitamins and minerals in the straw why not turn it into flour too?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
tom is rolling in his den at these "questions"

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The dirt is also wheat. And the rocks. And the sky. We are all wheat.