Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 360218 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Like, its the great american desert out there but these sunsets are the bee's knee's, especially now that its spring and daylight goes until 9pm.

(would still trade our land in NWKS for half the amount in the flint hills AKA gods country)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
You can’t plant farm the flint hills tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So, a couple of country homes near my hometown blew up in the past few months. Both were determined by authorities to be caused by natural gas leaks.  Locals have determined they were wind turbine related.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
So, a couple of country homes near my hometown blew up in the past few months. Both were determined by authorities to be caused by natural gas leaks.  Locals have determined they were wind turbine related.

What part of Kansas, if you don't mind?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Allen County

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
I mean that's gotta be meth related

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I mean that's gotta be meth related

I don't think so.  Both of the houses that blew up had old people living in them.

Here's the story from when the second house exploded.

https://www.koamnewsnow.com/a-second-home-in-5-months-explodes-near-moran-kansas/

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
An update on the story, the guy who survived the 2nd blast died a few weeks later.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Allen County

Any idea if they store natural gas underground? Years ago there was a series of explosions in Reno County that were determined to be caused by gas stored in underground caverns escaping through "wildcat" wells that were drilled in the early 20th century but never recorded.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Have mentioned this before but our cow farm is paid by the Nat Gas company to store gas like that under our land. It’s nice because they maintain nice gravel roads into their pipe deals where they do gas stuff. Also the cash is nice.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Love how sd's dad always leverages every angle humanly possible.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Allen County

Any idea if they store natural gas underground? Years ago there was a series of explosions in Reno County that were determined to be caused by gas stored in underground caverns escaping through "wildcat" wells that were drilled in the early 20th century but never recorded.
If they have natural gas, then they have a well on the property. Otherwise, they’d have propane.  My dad told me they were natural gas related.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Love how sd's dad always leverages every angle humanly possible.

the only way to make money in the farm game today is to farm mafia your ass off. I joke about it, but it's definitely irl.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Allen County

If they have natural gas, then they have a well on the property. Otherwise, they’d have propane.  My dad told me they were natural gas related.

I'm talking about something else. Stevedave seemed to understand.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Allen County

I'm talking about something else. Stevedave seemed to understand.
I’m pretty sure stevedave made that up.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I definitely did not

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
SD is right on the gas storage. 

the only way to make money in the farm game today is to farm mafia your ass off. I joke about it, but it's definitely irl.

I'd be a capo

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re farm mafia stuff

My grandpa never any money farming until he bought the aforementioned fertilizer distributor. Some salesman comes to him and says “how much you pay for _______ fertilizer?”

“I can get it to you for _______”

Deal. Boom. Grandpa pays everything off in a couple years buys a bunch more land.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Today's random mystery farm tool...

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Old timey fence stretcher?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Well that was too easy.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I irl was guessing but I’m also irl farm AF so not surprised I nailed it. I’ve seen baby calf’s attempted to be pulled with modern stretchers....and a chain and a pickup. Mixed results.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I irl was guessing but I’m also irl farm AF so not surprised I nailed it. I’ve seen baby calf’s attempted to be pulled with modern stretchers....and a chain and a pickup. Mixed results.

:lol: and  :frown:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm headed back to the big city on sunday for at least one week (maybe more). My brother is currently unemployed and will probably stay out here all summer and I will probably go back and forth until I can no longer work from home.

Here are some random thoughts/notes that have not warranted a whole post.

1. Hot/Electric fences, most are pud but I recently brushed against the one by the butler building that has power sockets that power the whole fence and OMG it was alot stronger.

2. I bought a 2016 rav4 with AWD last year but it is definitely not a full time farm vehicle.
2A- I drove it through the windbreaks and the dam cedar tree's kind of scratched the paint on one side (barely noticeable)
2B- I typically take a cruise through the pasture in the evening after WFH and I ran over a tree limb buried in grass that knocked loose a plastic cover that protects the exhaust. (It started dragging but I managed to put it back in place)
2C- We moved alot of dead limbs next to the road to throw in the burn pit and one time when I was pulling out of the driveway and looking at my phone I hit a limb and did some minor cosmetic damage to my front right bumper.
2D- Yesterday I had the low tire pressure light come on and my back right tire may have a metal spike embedded in it. Fun times.

3. When I realized how much my vehicle was getting F'd up driving around the farm I started looking at used polaris etc on craigslist and holy crap these things are about as expensive as a toyota corolla. I think we will just stick with our 1993 EZ GO golf cart my brother got for free.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:25:37 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Today's random mystery farm tool...

Tom

Tom,

What if I told you I had multiple buildings (half falling down) full of old timey farm tools. Would you like it if I took pictures of these old timey tools and we could have a contest on who could identify the tools/implements?