Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 386058 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Saw another line of Ammonia tanks today and did some googling about how its used. I figured it was sprayed on the field but apparently its injected/disc'd into the soil or someting? Rad.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Saw another line of Ammonia tanks today and did some googling about how its used. I figured it was sprayed on the field but apparently its injected/disc'd into the soil or someting? Rad.

This was a job I hated.  The gas was disced in the ground but if the wind was blowing the same direction you were traveling, you got lots of the stink to inhale.  It was so bad that I would only travel upwind and I didn't care if the old man had a cow.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
sd dad got sprayed up his torso with some from a faulty hose. they are supposed to have a water tank on them (you can see them in the pics) for stuff like this so you can hose it off if something bad happens but the water tank was empty. had to drive back to town with it and was in the hospital for over a week with really bad burns. has scars up one side from it. anhydrous ammonia is very nasty.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Weekend project was cleaning up the windbreaks by the house and planting flowers.

Here is all the dead limbs/debris we removed.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We tilled up the area without grass and planted some perennial bulbs along with scattering wildflower seeds.

Will it bloom? Will it last? Hopefully!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:55:23 PM by ben ji »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
What a beautiful day
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
These vines were thriving underneath the decades of ponderosa pine needles/leaves and were choking out the trees. Had to pull them all out by hand.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Tons of Lilac plants out here that have survived pretty well without any attention. Just started blooming in KSU colors.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Ben Ji, do you guys have a stocked pond on the property out there? Man, my grandparents had a ton and i'd do that all summer when I was younger. Catching 10 LB catfish and snapping turtles like a champ!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
There is a "creek" in the pasture but it doesn't hold water year round, not enough rain for a pond.

Closest we have is the tailwater pit by the corrals that holds runoff from the barn roof and decades of cow poop juice. I've recently seen ducks in here waiting for the rains to fill up the creek.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
man, Lilacs and pine trees. That's a homestead if I've ever seen one.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ben Ji, do you guys have a stocked pond on the property out there? Man, my grandparents had a ton and i'd do that all summer when I was younger. Catching 10 LB catfish and snapping turtles like a champ!

IIRC my uncle made a pond and stocked it with catfish on one of his properties and it lasted about 5 years before there was a drought and the pond dried up.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:15:11 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
man, Lilacs and pine trees. That's a homestead if I've ever seen one.

And currants, a metric F ton of currants. They are blooming now so I'm excited to try their berries in a month or so, apparently they have a pretty unique taste and were used for Jams in old timey days.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
mullberrys and sand hill plums are also ks farm wild disgusting fruits.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
mullberrys and sand hill plums are also ks farm wild disgusting fruits.
My grandma made delicious sand plum jam - AFAIK the addition of pounds of sugar is the only way to make them edible.

Also I had amazing success catching catfish from a creek using mulberries as bait with a bamboo pole when the deer liver didn't work

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Mulberry’s are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
as a kid, we used to find gooseberries in our pastures, pick them and eat them on the spot.  can't remember what they tasted like, a little tart i'm sure, but we loved them.  not sure there are any around anymore.  anyone heard of gooseberries?  NE Kansas btw.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
as a kid, we used to find gooseberries in our pastures, pick them and eat them on the spot.  can't remember what they tasted like, a little tart i'm sure, but we loved them.  not sure there are any around anymore.  anyone heard of gooseberries?  NE Kansas btw.

I believe that gooseberries are a variety of the currant plant so I'm guessing they are still around. We have golden currants out here.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Currants taste weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
gooseberry pie is my fave pie

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
p tart/sour if they're good

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
An ADA accessible church

FYI this church had an outhouse that was not ADA accessible.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Break time after that, BLT'S for lunch then attempted to weed my dad's "Garden". In reality he didn't even till it, just planted tomatoes and other stuff and ran soaker hoses.

The grass was taller than the garden plants but I did the best I could.
The garden has come along way in the 2 months my brother and I have been out here.

We made my dad actually rototill rows(with manure mixed in) and fence it off so the rabbits cant eat it all.

My brother works at music festivals so is basically unemployed for the next year and will probably be out here all summer to actually tend the garden. He also worked at a commercial nursey for a couple of years so he is our landscape/garden guru.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
A picture of 4 of the apple trees (planted with cow manure). The larger trees behind the apple seedlings are pear trees my uncle planted a couple of years ago. There is a water faucet thing by the quisonet building so Im guessing that is where the automatic watering device will connect to.

Also LOL at the "Danger Keep out" sign on the collapsing out building my dad put up sometime in the last year.

You can also see the incinerator (aka 2 steel drums welded together with hatches at top and bottom) that i cleaned out last year when i was trying to do something productive.
My brother finally ran a soaker hose to the apple and pear tree's that were recently planted, even put some chicken wire around them to keep the dam rabbits out.

We are going to have so much fruit in like 10 years assuming we continue to water them  24/7 365.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:25:03 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
NWKS sunset