Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 372510 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
also lmao at the manual hauling of rock. You need, like, 3 times that much rock.

Actually like 3,000 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
How will dumping ash from the fireplace into the rut make it worse? Wont the ash just get all mixed up with the mud the next time it rains and then start to fill it back up?

When the ruts get all muddy we just drive around em. What is a rough estimate of how much it would cost to have someone dump a bunch of gravel inside the cat ranch?

Thanks buds

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How will dumping ash from the fireplace into the rut make it worse? Wont the ash just get all mixed up with the mud the next time it rains and then start to fill it back up?

When the ruts get all muddy we just drive around em. What is a rough estimate of how much it would cost to have someone dump a bunch of gravel inside the cat ranch?

Thanks buds

I'm not here to question the logic behind the ash plan. did I lmao when I read it? yes. will it work? no. will it make the road all weird looking and make ash blow all the eff over the place? yes. but I'd also appreciate pictures of the results.

that said you probably need a dump truck load of gravel with a blade to spread it all around to do it right. no idea what that costs but that's what it will take for a long term solution. you then just push the gravel around with a tractor occasionally (if you don't have a blade) to fill in the low spots. it'll last a long time.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Gravel is super cheap in the city, no idea if it's still cheap in the sticks. Like $600? I dunno, @xhocolatethundar probably knows
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Enough rut talk, how about this hot n sexy stock tank waterfall powered by a windmill. Water fills 3 stock tanks then flows over and fills up a depression about the size of a hot tub.

Will have to check and see if the Wally's out here is still selling goldfish.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I drove up to the base of a windmill yesterday, the size of these things up close is pretty impressive. You can definitely hear the sound they make when your this close, rarely hear it on the farm though.

Please send some T's P's this way to help me battle the cancer I will surely get.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If I remember, the cat ranch is in far NW KS.  If so, your closest source for decent crushed gravel is probably going to be Eastern Colorado (Holly).  Good news is that this is crushed river gravel and very durable.  Bad news is freight costs are going to suck.  I think there are some sand sources around the area, but it won't be crushed material and won't stabilize the road for crap.  If someone has some crushed concrete around the area, that could be an option as well.  However, just know that there will still be some pieces of steel in the material and you will need to cover it with an inch or two of some other material to help eliminate flat tires.  I have it on my driveway and I covered it with crushed asphalt.  We still find a few small pieces of wire from time to time that we pick up and throw away.

The aggregate source info is from my experience many years ago travelling around the state making and laying asphalt for highway projects.  There may be a new source or two that have popped up since then that I'm not aware of.  If you can find a material source and you have access to a skidloader, you could probably heal up the ruts and then have someone tailgate the rock on the drive.  This isn't ideal, but it will be cheaper than hiring someone to haul a blade to the ranch and grading the road.

My guess is that you are going to pay at least $10 per ton at the source and then freight to the ranch on top of that. If you have 500 feet of driveway that is 12 feet wide and you want to place 3" of rock on it, you would be looking at about 100 to 125 tons of rock. 
@mikec2w

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If I remember, the cat ranch is in far NW KS.  If so, your closest source for decent crushed gravel is probably going to be Eastern Colorado (Holly).  Good news is that this is crushed river gravel and very durable.  Bad news is freight costs are going to suck.  I think there are some sand sources around the area, but it won't be crushed material and won't stabilize the road for crap.  If someone has some crushed concrete around the area, that could be an option as well.  However, just know that there will still be some pieces of steel in the material and you will need to cover it with an inch or two of some other material to help eliminate flat tires.  I have it on my driveway and I covered it with crushed asphalt.  We still find a few small pieces of wire from time to time that we pick up and throw away.

The aggregate source info is from my experience many years ago travelling around the state making and laying asphalt for highway projects.  There may be a new source or two that have popped up since then that I'm not aware of.  If you can find a material source and you have access to a skidloader, you could probably heal up the ruts and then have someone tailgate the rock on the drive.  This isn't ideal, but it will be cheaper than hiring someone to haul a blade to the ranch and grading the road.

My guess is that you are going to pay at least $10 per ton at the source and then freight to the ranch on top of that. If you have 500 feet of driveway that is 12 feet wide and you want to place 3" of rock on it, you would be looking at about 100 to 125 tons of rock.

Woah, lots of detailed info here. Thanks bud!

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
X has it figured out.  TomDad rock farm we get AB-3 rock.   Its roughly $9 per ton.   Packs well.  If quarry too far... any rock walls in NWK? That rock might be large, but could be a base.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Did we get before after pics on the golf cart weld job?
Which time? Just finished our 4th weld on it, will probably last another week.

Finally got around to contacting JAKES LIFT KITS to see if they will sell me that 1 individual part I need so we dont have to buy the whole lift kit again.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Here are some abandoned building I've seen while country cruising on the high plans.

Old homestead #1

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
An ADA accessible church

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
These buildings were across the road from each other.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:07:34 AM by ben ji »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
lmao, old west abandoned buildings circa 1962.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Old barn

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This draw/creek next to one abandoned homestead was the largest concentration of deciduous trees I have seen in this county outside the city.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
lmao, old west abandoned buildings circa 1962.

Those are from the 1880’s at least, SD.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
No one lived in NW KS in the 1880's, thats when the first settlers arrived.  I found a map showing who owned what land around our farm from 1907 and at that time like alot of the land was still owned by the Railroad.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
When are you being summoned back to the big city? This has become my favorite thread saga by far.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
No one lived in NW KS in the 1880's, thats when the first settlers arrived.  I found a map showing who owned what land around our farm from 1907 and at that time like alot of the land was still owned by the Railroad.
Actually, yeah people did live there ben ji.  They had lived there for hundreds or probably thousands of years.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Actually, yeah people did live there ben ji.  They had lived there for hundreds or probably thousands of years.
No one that was building structures like those pictured was living in NW KS in the 1880's.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
When are you being summoned back to the big city? This has become my favorite thread saga by far.
Tentative plan is to go back in the next 2 weeks, the earliest my office is projected to open is mid june so I may come back to the cat ranch this summer.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I like that you call them homestead and not house or barn

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I am working under the assumption that the area with all the houses/barns/buildings is referred to as the "homestead" area and then you have fields/pasture etc. Is this incorrect? Honestly have no idea what the correct terminology would be.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

I am working under the assumption that the area with all the houses/barns/buildings is referred to as the "homestead" area and then you have fields/pasture etc. Is this incorrect? Honestly have no idea what the correct terminology would be.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_Acts

Typically a homestead is 160 acres.    Free land to encourage settlers to move west.  I refer to our farm as the homestead.  Whether it actually is i would have to research.

Dad always referred to the Baker place, Rake place, and Hildenbrand place which were the other 3 quarters that made up our farm with TomDad 160 acres.  Over time the others moved away and sold to TomGPA.

Each of those quarters had barns silos, houses at one time.  A couple still had barns and silos when I was a kid.  All gone now.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk