Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 371406 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Did we get before after pics on the golf cart weld job?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
is the house in decent shape? 20+ years of vacancy seems like a long time
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Planting

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
is the house in decent shape? 20+ years of vacancy seems like a long time
People lived there on/off over the last 20 years. Some of my uncles hired hands/my cousin/my dad for the last 4 years.

But yes, the house is in the same shape as when I was 10 years old chasing rabits with a .22 on a 3 wheeler.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:02:01 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So I talk alot of crap on my dad for injecting himself with snake venom and being a #Maga head but he is a great dad.

When they were originally splitting up my grandparents estate my family was going to get 2 quarter sections of cropland a couple miles down the road.

My dad really wanted the parcel with the house on it that was mostly pasture even though it was worth less than the cropland. He wanted this parcel so we could stay connected to the land etc and my uncle was like "um okay".

Long story short he switched the 2 quarter sections of cropland for the homestead even though it was a bad financial decision and I'm glad as hell he did.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also when we inherited the homestead my cousin was living in the upstairs part time so he put his bed in the unfinished basement. He pee's in a gallon jug down there and sprinkles it around the homestead to "Mark his territory so the coyotes dont eat the cats"

Here he is sprinkling his urine to keep the yotes away.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
#CatRanch2020 is a trip

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Put down some gravel! Sheesh.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Guyz, MY DAD SPRINKLES HIS OWN URINE AROUND THE PERIMETER OF THE HOMESTEAD! But I respect the crap out of him for not giving a eff about what anyone thinks and living his best life.

He's raised three semi successful children and if he thinks that sprinkling his 64 year old urine around the homestead will keep the coyotes from eating his cats who the hell am I to stop him?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 10:58:14 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lol, i have a story about my brother and I's naive ideas about how to fill these ruts. Gonna have to wait until sunlight tomorrow to show our futility.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Surely there's a box blade in one of those barns.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
ben ji, remind me again what you do for a living?  are you working remotely out there at all or just heavy cat ranching/golfing/urine scattering 24/7?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
benji I don't know if I'd call peeing in a jar and spreading it around is an important part of living ones best life.

also why doesn't he live out there full time in normal times. Isn't he retired?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
ben ji, remind me again what you do for a living?  are you working remotely out there at all or just heavy cat ranching/golfing/urine scattering 24/7?

I'm WFH out here, talking on phones and sending emails from 9-5 then cat ranching/golf/urine scattering after.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
benji I don't know if I'd call peeing in a jar and spreading it around is an important part of living ones best life.

also why doesn't he live out there full time in normal times. Isn't he retired?

My mother is not a farm person and wont let him live out there 24/7.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
also ben ji I remember when I was a little kid my grandpa did coyote trapping because they were bothering his baby cows and they used coyote urine to lure them into the traps. I was like "I wonder if there's something like that out there on the internet" and sure enough you can buy coyote urine on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Predator-Pee-100-Coyote-Urine/dp/B01AL5YYSM

So one of the questions is does this attract coyotes? And Maine Outdoor Solutions had an answer:

Yes, IF coyotes are in the immediate area. In other words, the scent does not travel for miles and miles. Depending on the application, Wolf Pee often is a good substitute and has the added effect of keeping the coyotes away too!

you betcha, Wolf Pee is also for sale on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Predator-Pee-100-Wolf-Urine/dp/B01600EAPY?th=1

Now you could inform your dad of this and he'd probably do something like pretend he didn't hear you because I imagine he kind of likes the idea of spreading his urine around the cat ranch but maybe you want to know.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
also ben ji I remember when I was a little kid my grandpa did coyote trapping because they were bothering his baby cows and they used coyote urine to lure them into the traps. I was like "I wonder if there's something like that out there on the internet" and sure enough you can buy coyote urine on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Predator-Pee-100-Coyote-Urine/dp/B01AL5YYSM

So one of the questions is does this attract coyotes? And Maine Outdoor Solutions had an answer:

Yes, IF coyotes are in the immediate area. In other words, the scent does not travel for miles and miles. Depending on the application, Wolf Pee often is a good substitute and has the added effect of keeping the coyotes away too!

you betcha, Wolf Pee is also for sale on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Predator-Pee-100-Wolf-Urine/dp/B01600EAPY?th=1

Now you could inform your dad of this and he'd probably do something like pretend he didn't hear you because I imagine he kind of likes the idea of spreading his urine around the cat ranch but maybe you want to know.

Nice! Maybe I'll get him some wolf pee as a surprise bday gift and he can mix it with his own pee to be super potent.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
And yes, that is an extension cord running from a building to power one of the 18 harbor freight electric chainsaws my dad bought. (It was unplugged during the watering session)

Welp, this explains why these HF chain saws didn't last.  Electric weed eaters, electric lawn mowers, electric chain saws all will burn up with long small amp rated extension cords.  Very common for mistake for non electrical types.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Wolf Pee is also for sale on Amazon:

Now you could inform your dad of this and he'd probably do something like pretend he didn't hear you.

you underestimate benji's father.  he will buy a wolf.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why buy the wolf when you can get the pee for free?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lol, i have a story about my brother and I's naive ideas about how to fill these ruts. Gonna have to wait until sunlight tomorrow to show our futility.
Following up on this. Im guessing the last time the roads inside the cat ranch had rock dumped on them was around 1990.

There was a "road" by the corral that was used to dump feed to the cows but is no longer in use. Still a ton of stone/rocks out there and part of our golf course.

My brother and I decided to be productive and collect a bunch of those rocks by hand, fill up a large cattle feed container and dump them on the road to fix the ruts, good idea huh?!?

Spent about 45 minutes picking up rocks by hand to fill the container and dumped it in a large rut.

Results were not what we were expecting

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Current plant is to just dump all the ash from the fireplace into the ruts until they are filled...gonna be a while.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Current plant is to just dump all the ash from the fireplace into the ruts until they are filled...gonna be a while.

@mikec2w

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Benji, no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
You’re going to have to pay for gravel to be hauled in. You can box blade it but it’ll be a short term fix and ultimately make the problem worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk