Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 355929 times)

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #1825 on: November 11, 2019, 02:55:57 PM »
I don't really get the windmill hate. Is it because they think it ruins the scenery? Jealous they are not getting phat wind turbine checks and others are? Afraid of new things?

Just seems like a weird thing to get bent out of shape about. Our farm is sandwiched between two rows of windmills and in the 48 hours I've spent out there since they put them up they have already blended into the scenery.

I think those are the two main underlying feelings.  They then google reasons why they feel this way....hence the brain cancer, aborted calves, decreased land value and noise excuses.  Heard two of the more radical neighbors went in for psychological treatment.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #1826 on: November 11, 2019, 03:27:23 PM »
I can see the point about the blinking lights being annoying but as a counter point to that my dad loves going to the "hill" on our farm and looking at all the lights blinking in unison.

I don't understand the noise point unless maybe you are living right underneath one. There are like 5 windmills within 2 miles of the house and you cant hear any noise from them.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: November 11, 2019, 03:28:34 PM »
I can see the point about the blinking lights being annoying but as a counter point to that my dad loves going to the "hill" on our farm and looking at all the lights blinking in unison.

I don't understand the noise point unless maybe you are living right underneath one. There are like 5 windmills within 2 miles of the house and you cant hear any noise from them.

You probably already contracted the brain cancer and can't hear them anymore.  Ts & Ps

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: November 11, 2019, 03:31:24 PM »
Like, the entire point of living out in the country (aside from the doing cow farming) is to be able to look up at the sky and see the Milky Way and crap. The blinking lights all over make that a shitty experience imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: November 11, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »
there's gotta be a way to make huge money on milk arbitrage.

off topic, but on some of the solar projects i've worked on, big solar cuts a check to neighbors to compensate for the eye blight and whatnot.  kansans would learn to rough ridin' love the blinking night lights pretty quick if they had laws they encouraged that sort of crap.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: November 11, 2019, 03:34:59 PM »
They'll be caf when they go up.  Oh,Ts & Ps on the brain cancer ben ji. :pray:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: November 11, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »
CAT UPDATE - My cousins friend dropped off some orange cats at the cat ranch to liven up the gene pool(probably why he doubled his food order). Also just got this email

Subject:White Paws

More native American than democrat E. Warren.  Lil's smaller size but only half the weight.  Rather get pets than eat.  Her pure motor is like a big diesel tractor.  Bet if I brought her back, just for a visit (after thorough bathing) mom would love her so much she'd come to the farm to visit her.  She is about a year old.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: November 11, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »
those white paws are pretty distinctive.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: November 11, 2019, 06:17:36 PM »
Those are some healthy looking cats.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: November 11, 2019, 06:28:37 PM »
ben ji have you considered having a kegger at the farm?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: November 11, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »
ben ji have you considered having a kegger at the farm?

Trying to build up my dads trust so he lets me go out there alone first. We should be golden by summer break, 4th of July kegger? Hopefully Isabell's hot cousin from Des Moines is in town again next 4th of july! 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:37:19 AM by ben ji »

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: November 11, 2019, 08:07:08 PM »
i’ll get a gross of bottle rockets and bring them

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: November 11, 2019, 08:35:28 PM »
I'd just assumed thst ben ji's dad pretty much always posted up at the farm.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1838 on: November 12, 2019, 03:42:25 AM »
And rural poverty does have it's own appeal.

Update showing some of the mount to be encased in concrete:
What part of KS is your farm? What if slackcat and ben ji are farm neighbors?!?

Sadly, SEK.   :facepalm:  This is a 450 million dollar project (private company) going into a poor county and some loose their minds over it.  Explains why SEK is SEK.
No progress today, just sleet and snow.

Really enjoy the cat ranch updates.  :D  My cat has yet to leave the garage, she'll hold it 'till tomorrow.
Have some high school friends in south central kansas losing their minds over windmills. FB feed got to be too much and muted them.

I'm guessing Sumner County?
Correct

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: November 12, 2019, 09:04:42 AM »
are those scrambled eggs those purr motors are getting after?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: November 12, 2019, 10:03:30 AM »
are those scrambled eggs those purr motors are getting after?

Scrambled eggs with whole milk poured over the top is the standard cat ranch base feed. Usually there will be whatever leftovers are laying around mixed in with the eggs/milk and sometimes, if the cats are really purr'n they will get some Aldi hot dogs.

In the winter when my dad spends most his time in the city they just eat dry catfood although I have heard rumors that when its super cold sometimes my uncle will pop a couple rabbits with a .22 and throw them to the cats to keep them purr'n strong. I have not seen this in person tho so its just a rumor for now.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: November 12, 2019, 10:13:49 AM »
what city does your dad spend most of his time in, KC?

pretty incred testament to the love a cat rancher has for his herd, cooking up scrambled eggs for them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: November 12, 2019, 10:14:22 AM »
Scrambled eggs with whole milk poured over the top is the standard cat ranch base feed.

:lol:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: November 12, 2019, 10:36:36 AM »
what city does your dad spend most of his time in, KC?

pretty incred testament to the love a cat rancher has for his herd, cooking up scrambled eggs for them.

Probably every other week out there in the summer and about once a month in the winter. My mom is a city girl and refuses to go out to the farm with him so I think he just likes getting away and living the hobby farm/cat ranching dream. No Cable/TV (Just old DVD's/VHS), barely functional internet, 15 miles from town, etc etc.

Just a man, his land and his herd of cats. What more could you want?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: November 12, 2019, 10:41:45 AM »
the american dream right there.

there's no way i could make that drive twice a month to tend to the cats tho, but i'm probably not cut out for life on the working cat ranch

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: November 12, 2019, 11:29:25 AM »

Sadly, SEK.   :facepalm:  This is a 450 million dollar project (private company) going into a poor county and some loose their minds over it.  Explains why SEK is SEK.

Really enjoy the cat ranch updates.  :D  My cat has yet to leave the garage, she'll hold it 'till tomorrow.
Have some high school friends in south central kansas losing their minds over windmills. FB feed got to be too much and muted them.

Correct

I'll bet they aren't too excited about the biogas plant that is getting ready to go in east of Wellington either. 
@mikec2w

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: November 12, 2019, 03:31:37 PM »
Scrambled eggs with whole milk poured over the top is the standard cat ranch base feed.

this is most amazing thing i've ever heard.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: November 12, 2019, 03:33:40 PM »

also your father's plan to use the white-footed cat to entice your mother out to the ranch is probably the most romantic thing i've ever heard.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1848 on: November 12, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »

Correct

I'll bet they aren't too excited about the biogas plant that is getting ready to go in east of Wellington either.
Looks like we're still fighting against windmills and for animal rescue.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: November 13, 2019, 08:34:32 AM »

also your father's plan to use the white-footed cat to entice your mother out to the ranch is probably the most romantic thing i've ever heard.

Did you notice how he promised to bathe the white footed cat before he brought it back?

When he first brought lil lil back from the farm as a kitten he didn't bathe her and My mom ended up with a large circular rash on her neck/chest and she couldn't figure out what it was.

I wrestled in high school and as soon as I saw it I was like "That ringworm yo"...Sure enough lil lil had given my mom ringworm.