Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 356049 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
what does FFA stand for and also what is it?

Future farmers of america
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
i would not cuddle that thing. it would only take ~5 seconds before you were lying in a puddle of its poo.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
My entire senior class drove tractors to school on the last day.  We were pretty Farmeo at our podunk school though and it took up the entire lot so that was fun for the rest of the kids.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile

what does FFA stand for and also what is it?

Future farmers of america
and it's for a majority of kids who will never farm.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
It's apparently monsoon season

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
It's apparently monsoon season

You're in Iowa?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
If a cow farmer has just a ton of cows on his farm, so many that you can't keep track in your head and there's tons being born and dying all the time, how does he figure out exactly how many he has?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If a cow farmer has just a ton of cows on his farm, so many that you can't keep track in your head and there's tons being born and dying all the time, how does he figure out exactly how many he has?

rough estimate. we usually have a cowboy driving around through the cows that are going to have baby cows soon and if they see a baby cow that can't really run away yet they will put a tag on its ear with the same number on it as its mom and then record it in a book. sometimes they don't get them in time and they are too big to catch so you just put in the book that #1756 has a black baby cow with a white face or something similar. sometimes you will find them and you can't tell who the baby belongs to because its in like a big group of cows. sometimes you just don't ever see them anyway because they are in like a huge area with streams and trees and hills and stuff so you just don't see them. at some point during the year you hire a shitload of cowboys to come and get all of the cows and baby cows into one area and then you separate the babies from the moms and give them vaccinations and stuff. they count them all then again and get the ones they missed. then you let the moms back out and move the babys to another place where they live by themselves. then you put the bull cows back in with the mom cows and (finger through hole made by fingers of other hand< LOL) and start the whole cycle again. some of the girl baby cows are eventually put back with the moms and every once in a while one of the boys is put in with the bulls because someone who knows about cows thinks he will be a good bull. the rest of the babies are fattened up and sold.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
sys, sddad just bought some more ropinfeet bulls. an interesting thing I learned over memorial day is that if a ropinfeet bull dies from anything the first year they will give you another bull. that's like a special warranty that's exclusive to ropinfeet bulls apparently.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile

rough estimate. we usually have a cowboy driving around through the cows that are going to have baby cows soon and if they see a baby cow that can't really run away yet they will put a tag on its ear with the same number on it as its mom and then record it in a book. sometimes they don't get them in time and they are too big to catch so you just put in the book that #1756 has a black baby cow with a white face or something similar. sometimes you will find them and you can't tell who the baby belongs to because its in like a big group of cows. sometimes you just don't ever see them anyway because they are in like a huge area with streams and trees and hills and stuff so you just don't see them. at some point during the year you hire a shitload of cowboys to come and get all of the cows and baby cows into one area and then you separate the babies from the moms and give them vaccinations and stuff. they count them all then again and get the ones they missed. then you let the moms back out and move the babys to another place where they live by themselves. then you put the bull cows back in with the mom cows and (finger through hole made by fingers of other hand< LOL) and start the whole cycle again. some of the girl baby cows are eventually put back with the moms and every once in a while one of the boys is put in with the bulls because someone who knows about cows thinks he will be a good bull. the rest of the babies are fattened up and sold.

Wow, that sounds awfully complicated.  Why not just use a cowculator? :Keke:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
oh man.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
what's upcow?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
sys, sddad just bought some more ropinfeet bulls. an interesting thing I learned over memorial day is that if a ropinfeet bull dies from anything the first year they will give you another bull. that's like a special warranty that's exclusive to ropinfeet bulls apparently.

that's a pretty good deal.  if i were you, i'd try to get your father to call up ohlde's people and see if they'll offer the same guarantee on ohlde bulls.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
sd, has your father ever thought about creating his own breed of cow?  make his mark on the world, so to speak.

The Big Train

the real question I have is that a cowculated risk sddad would be willing to take?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
I'm not 100% certain that sd knows exactly what goes on at his dad's ranch. I also not 100% certain that sd dad is not Ted Turner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

sd, has your father ever thought about creating his own breed of cow?  make his mark on the world, so to speak.

Not that I know of.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
Anybody else having trouble getting their soybeans planted with all this rain?

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Anybody else having trouble getting their soybeans planted with all this rain?
Not with this bad boy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

does your dad have any of these?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
A vintage looking t-shirt that says:

Farmer Tans
Rough Hands
Dirty Boots
Country Roots

Would you wear one?

What about if the sleeves were cut off?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i want one of those cow scratchers.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
There's got to be some hilarious cow buffer thingy video out there. I want to see it.