Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 360271 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #225 on: February 07, 2015, 09:26:24 AM »
SD-

When I eventually inherit like 1/3 of my grandparents farmland (NW KS) how should I "Rent" it out to the local yokels? Flat fee every year? Take 1/3 of the cut? Pro's and con's of each?

Non irrigated dryland farming, assuming my uncles don't screw my dad out of his share and assuming I can screw my sibling out of their share I could eventually end up with UP TO 3 quarter sections. So like almost a square mile from what I understand.

Keep in mind that the land will be held in a LLC that will never turn a profit, everything will be spent on "Expenses" like a HUGE F-250 Ford.

I think most people take a cut of the revenue on farms but just lease it for a fee for like cows to eat.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #226 on: February 07, 2015, 09:29:33 AM »
Also you should definitely send SD jr down there for summers when he gets older.

I spent a couple weeks each summer on my grandparents farm when is was in the 8-12 range and absolutely loved it.

Typical day below

-Wake up and watch like 2 hours of cartoon network because grandparents had a huge satellite that picked up like every channel.
-Ride 30 minutes into town with gramps and sit around the coop watching them drink coffee and smoke cigarettes
- Do some random chores like throw food scraps to pigs and collect tumble weeds to burn (Only if it had rained recently)
- Grab a .22 and a 4 wheeler and chase rabbits around all day

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »
Also you should definitely send SD jr down there for summers when he gets older.

I spent a couple weeks each summer on my grandparents farm when is was in the 8-12 range and absolutely loved it.

Typical day below

-Wake up and watch like 2 hours of cartoon network because grandparents had a huge satellite that picked up like every channel.
-Ride 30 minutes into town with gramps and sit around the coop watching them drink coffee and smoke cigarettes
- Do some random chores like throw food scraps to pigs and collect tumble weeds to burn (Only if it had rained recently)
- Grab a .22 and a 4 wheeler and chase rabbits around all day

literally none of those things happen on sddads farm. that's like some farm disneyworld.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2015, 09:32:55 AM »
lil sd did ride in the feed truck with sddad over christmas break. loved blasting the horn. it's like one of those truck horns you pull down on the string or whatever. just went nuts blasting it the entire time. the cows didn't care. they just wanted the food in their bowl.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2015, 09:49:31 AM »
The life you described sounded like a pretty romantic upbringing to me. Did you want to be a cow farmer when you grew up when you were a little boy?  If so, can you remember when you decided that that life wasn't for you?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
Steve Dave, would you ever go back? Like after your kid is all grown up?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2015, 09:56:14 AM »
I have a friend with a horse farm and he also works a 9-5 (wife does lessons and keeps other people's horses out there) and it sounds miserable.  Nostalgia is a very skilled and beautiful lying liar.  Which is great, but just don't dive in to the shimmering water.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2015, 10:01:16 AM »
The life you described sounded like a pretty romantic upbringing to me. Did you want to be a cow farmer when you grew up when you were a little boy?  If so, can you remember when you decided that that life wasn't for you?

no. very very early. it's romantic but it's not a job, it's a life. like my dad and all of us had work on christmas morning and every other day. he has plenty of people working for him but obviously they want time with their family too. he would always say "cattle have to eat on christmas/saturday/thanksgiving/whatever too". he wouldn't take vacations for more than a few days because he couldn't handle being away. I'm sure there are a lot of more casual farmers that wouldn't have a problem leaving someone else in charge for a bit but that's not how my dad did stuff (still doesn't). he works sun up to sun down most days. he would tell me all the time that it's not a life he wanted for me or my siblings. I didn't want it either. mostly when people ask me why I didn't want to become a rancher I just tell them "because I grew up on a ranch"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 07, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »
Steve Dave, would you ever go back? Like after your kid is all grown up?

no

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 07, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
makes sense.  wonderful thread, sd.  just what this combofan season needed.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »
I have a friend with a horse farm and he also works a 9-5 (wife does lessons and keeps other people's horses out there) and it sounds miserable.  Nostalgia is a very skilled and beautiful lying liar.  Which is great, but just don't dive in to the shimmering water.

oh absolutely. for every piece of nostalgia there are a hundred pieces of hot/freezing, coverd in cow poop, bleeding hands, exhaustion, awful memories.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 07, 2015, 10:06:32 AM »
the real hero growing up on the ranch is my mom. YOU DA REAL MVP MOM! how people marry and stay with farmer/ranchers like my dad is a mystery. he's a really fantastic person but that's not a life anyone should voluntarily sign up for.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 07, 2015, 10:07:11 AM »
Did you drain the hell out of that aquifer that people get freaked out about?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 07, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »

no. very very early. it's romantic but it's not a job, it's a life. like my dad and all of us had work on christmas morning and every other day. he has plenty of people working for him but obviously they want time with their family too. he would always say "cattle have to eat on christmas/saturday/thanksgiving/whatever too". he wouldn't take vacations for more than a few days because he couldn't handle being away. I'm sure there are a lot of more casual farmers that wouldn't have a problem leaving someone else in charge for a bit but that's not how my dad did stuff (still doesn't). he works sun up to sun down most days. he would tell me all the time that it's not a life he wanted for me or my siblings. I didn't want it either. mostly when people ask me why I didn't want to become a rancher I just tell them "because I grew up on a ranch"

This.  When I worked for beef research and the dairy farm on campus that was the favorite refrain of everyone there.  I ended up working a ton of holidays because I lived in town and it definitely taught me a lot about how life is off the academic calendar.  I ran right back to the academic calendar.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2015, 10:08:29 AM »

Did you drain the hell out of that aquifer that people get freaked out about?

Yes, still draining it actually. My dad had to testify in the KS Supreme Court about the topic like five years ago.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2015, 10:38:40 AM »

this is the high plains journal:

http://www.hpj.com/
why do you think the print edition was such a weird size?

Gonna win 'em all!
This was a question that I wanted answered. Also, it was to show my HHPJIQ.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 07, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »
How many cows are we talking here like 1000?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2015, 10:47:48 AM »
sd, did you have any favorite farmer magazines to read? I used to hate BEEF because there weren't as many cool tractor picture. I think Farm Industry News was my fave.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 07, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »
Did you get "Farm and Ranch Living" magazine? I submitted a picture of my dad one time and the picture and my little explanation got published. That is probably, not gEing, one of the greatest things I have ever done.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 07, 2015, 10:54:41 AM »
Did the transition from small square bales to big round bales give you more free time?
Did you ever have to pitch silage?
Did you ever have to steeple fence where the posts were made of hedge?
What was your preferred brand of barbed wire?
Dad ever make you spray brush with 2-4-5-t and diesel fuel?
Did you prefer a hot shot or a sorting stick?  Whip?
Do you have a brand registered with the state?

Tom

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 07, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »

this is the high plains journal:

http://www.hpj.com/
why do you think the print edition was such a weird size?

Gonna win 'em all!
This was a question that I wanted answered. Also, it was to show my HHPJIQ.

I have no idea

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 07, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »

How many cows are we talking here like 1000?

More but not like ten thousand. Medium cow farm size I think.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 07, 2015, 11:28:56 AM »

sd, did you have any favorite farmer magazines to read? I used to hate BEEF because there weren't as many cool tractor picture. I think Farm Industry News was my fave.

We had those but I ignored them. I liked the auto trader for tractors one though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 07, 2015, 11:29:17 AM »

Did you get "Farm and Ranch Living" magazine? I submitted a picture of my dad one time and the picture and my little explanation got published. That is probably, not gEing, one of the greatest things I have ever done.

I don't think so

The Big Train

« Reply #249 on: February 07, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »
did you ever go cow tipping?