Author Topic: So did we not hold practice the last 3 days?  (Read 3039 times)

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
  • Hates All Races Equally
    • View Profile
So did we not hold practice the last 3 days?
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »
It appeared that we had absolutely no rough ridin' clue WVU presses on a regular basis. I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a team so unprepared to face a full court press let alone actually get the ball in play before 5 seconds had expired. What JV crap was that? The few times we did break the press we seemed content to hold onto the ball until all of WVU's players we back into defensive position. Heaven forbid we attack the rim when we have numbers.

Also, your starting PG cannot be the worst FT shooter on the team. He shouldn't even be on the court against a team who is going to send you to the line every other possession. I was praying they actually wouldn't foul him because sending Thomas to the line is the equivalent to just turning the ball over.

What an abortion of a game. oscar's dumbfuck look only compounds the problem. Somebody needs to give him a ice cream cone and tell him to sit the eff down and stop embarrassing our University.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Purple Prince Thrice Crowned in MMXIII
  • Combo-Fan
  • Purple Get Ready To Roll!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: So did we not hold practice the last 3 days?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »
I would love to see Mr. Bread comment on this.
Hire Brad Underwood Now!!!!!!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 10:05:04 PM »
I would almost tend to say it was the opposite. If anything our guys were over thinking everything. oscar talked about how you must attack WVU's press, but he also talked about avoiding TOs that led directly to points. To me it looked like we were so deliberate with the basketball and we were not going to give up TOs that led to points that we held the ball way too long and had too many terrible cuts/screens, etc.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 10:09:44 PM »
the Hail Mary offense was ingenious

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 10:11:48 PM »

Yeah. Also, Big Meat trying to throw the ball off of a defender at the half court line is something I have never seen before.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 12:27:26 AM »
Our press breaks were terrible. There was very little screening and often times they would initiate the press break after a second or two, it wasn't quick enough.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:33:58 AM »
It appeared that we had absolutely no rough ridin' clue WVU presses on a regular basis. I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a team so unprepared to face a full court press let alone actually get the ball in play before 5 seconds had expired. What JV crap was that? The few times we did break the press we seemed content to hold onto the ball until all of WVU's players we back into defensive position. Heaven forbid we attack the rim when we have numbers.

Also, your starting PG cannot be the worst FT shooter on the team. He shouldn't even be on the court against a team who is going to send you to the line every other possession. I was praying they actually wouldn't foul him because sending Thomas to the line is the equivalent to just turning the ball over.

What an abortion of a game. oscar's dumbfuck look only compounds the problem. Somebody needs to give him a ice cream cone and tell him to sit the eff down and stop embarrassing our University.

Ice cream cones won't do it. Has to be chicken nuggets or chicken nuggets.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 12:43:43 AM »
I would almost tend to say it was the opposite. If anything our guys were over thinking everything. oscar talked about how you must attack WVU's press, but he also talked about avoiding TOs that led directly to points. To me it looked like we were so deliberate with the basketball and we were not going to give up TOs that led to points that we held the ball way too long and had too many terrible cuts/screens, etc.
On inbounds players have to be able to make cuts and get open. Jevon was the only one worth a dam. Everyone else was disappointing. Thought we were pretty good at getting the ball up the court. Would of liked us to be more efficient and getting easy basket through the pressure.

Offline Rabid Cow

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 07:59:23 AM »

Yeah. Also, Big Meat trying to throw the ball off of a defender at the half court line is something I have never seen before.

These are the types of things that keep the cats entertaining this year.  I'm always wondering what terrible fundamentals they'll show next.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 09:11:47 AM »
Why did marcus throw the ball way high out to the half court line to a wv player that one time?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 09:21:54 AM »
Why did marcus throw the ball way high out to the half court line to a wv player that one time?

It really is a treasure trove of gems.  Hard to pick just one.  The Hurt debacle is the best for me.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 10:10:11 AM »

it was an acceptable turnover. The cats all had plenty of time to react to the upcoming turnover as the ball floated high through the air. We got back on defense and avoided the turnover that led to an easy basket.

#coaching

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 10:16:44 AM »

It really is a treasure trove of gems.  Hard to pick just one.  The Hurt debacle is the best for me.

Edwards giving up trying to inbounds the ball in the first half and pleading to oscar prior to the 5 second call was my favorite.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »
Some of the time this season a player has been open the second the official hands us the ball.  Then we feel obligated to run some terrible inbounds play instead of just getting the ball in.

WV's big standing in front of the ball so they have time to set up the press was a good move.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 10:23:14 AM »

yeah I couldn't believe my eyes after that one.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »
I bet we did hold practice. If we didn't I think some serious evaluations need to be made by Currie and Co. I mean how can you not have practice during the heart of the conference schedule?  It's unthinkable.  I know some of you have a hardened heart when it comes to oscar, but come on!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »
Words can't even describe what kind of amateur hour the press break was, maybe one on of the worst coaching efforts relative to a teams capabilities I've ever seen.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »
Screening against that press would have compounded the problem you dumbasses
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 11:10:03 AM »

#doublescreens

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:23 AM »

Yeah, moving/cutting was as much of a problem as screening. I think you can use screening and cutting off of screens to relieve pressure though.

Also, while the TOs were extremely frustrating, I'm still more upset about the things that we can control. Shooting 38.5% on 2s and 10-22 on FTs in the 2nd half is more frustrating to me. In the paint you've got to find a way to get body contact and draw fouls and not let WVU's bigs change your shot or put yourself into a position where officials aren't going to give you a call. I thought we did that far too often. Its inexcusable to only get 2 points off of 9 offensive boards in the first half.

Finally, you absolutely must make FTs against WVU because you know you are going to the line a lot against them. I'm not advocating that we make 80-90% either, even if we just shoot around our average (70%) we have 5 more points and it completely changes the dynamics down the stretch.

IMHO, those two factors had more of an impact on losing this game than the TOs. And the TO problems were really bad.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 11:19:50 AM »

Yeah, moving/cutting was as much of a problem as screening. I think you can use screening and cutting off of screens to relieve pressure though.

Also, while the TOs were extremely frustrating, I'm still more upset about the things that we can control. Shooting 38.5% on 2s and 10-22 on FTs in the 2nd half is more frustrating to me. In the paint you've got to find a way to get body contact and draw fouls and not let WVU's bigs change your shot or put yourself into a position where officials aren't going to give you a call. I thought we did that far too often. Its inexcusable to only get 2 points off of 9 offensive boards in the first half.

Finally, you absolutely must make FTs against WVU because you know you are going to the line a lot against them. I'm not advocating that we make 80-90% either, even if we just shoot around our average (70%) we have 5 more points and it completely changes the dynamics down the stretch.

IMHO, those two factors had more of an impact on losing this game than the TOs. And the TO problems were really bad.

I think turnovers are easier to control than shooting percentage, and they were worse than turnovers in a typical game because so many of them came in the backcourt. It was probably the worst I have ever seen a college team handle full court pressure, honestly.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 11:23:22 AM »

I think turnovers are easier to control than shooting percentage, and they were worse than turnovers in a typical game because so many of them came in the backcourt. It was probably the worst I have ever seen a college team handle full court pressure, honestly.

WVU only scored 11 points off of TOs though. They got run outs only a handful of times.

Now, each TO is a missed opportunity on offense for us, so that still hurts.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »
Yeah, WVU getting points is not the worst part of the TO problem in this case.  It was that in a low possession, close game we needed those opportunities to get to the FT line or to score in the half court.  Both of which required more possessions than normal for us to score because we weren't shooting very well.  They are all problems and are all in some sense related, but the TO/pressure seems like the easiest thing to control.  I mean FT shooting is very weird and I don't know how you "control" that.  The 2pt% is obviously related to their fouling/pressure. 

It really is simple enough to say that the possession starts with inbounding the ball.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 11:28:18 AM »

When you screen on a press the expectation is not that the person being screened for will be open but the person who sets the screen and then rolls off. On a press, whether it is a zone press or a man-to-man press the defense usually switches screens so the screener is instructed to roll to the inbounder. On that particular press with someone on the ball, I would have had a play that screened the man guarding the inbounds pass. While I think you should almost always use screens to get the ball in, there is a reasonable argument to be had for just making hard cuts. Going the entire game without making an adjustment when we struggled getting the ball in for 40 minutes is completely inexcusable.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »
Yeah, WVU getting points is not the worst part of the TO problem in this case.  It was that in a low possession, close game we needed those opportunities to get to the FT line or to score in the half court.  Both of which required more possessions than normal for us to score because we weren't shooting very well.  They are all problems and are all in some sense related, but the TO/pressure seems like the easiest thing to control.  I mean FT shooting is very weird and I don't know how you "control" that.  The 2pt% is obviously related to their fouling/pressure. 

It really is simple enough to say that the possession starts with inbounding the ball.

Good points. The entire thing was a cluster last night.