Author Topic: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools  (Read 71954 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: State of the State - Jan. 15 at 6:30
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2015, 12:44:30 PM »
high schools playing football is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  playing any sports is at best unnecessary.  i don't know why michigancat thinks kansas should encourage poor children to waste their time playing sports.
what should poor kids do instead?

play free sports on their own time?  i dunno, what do third world children do to stay in so much better shape than the fat little monsters we have in this country?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2015, 12:45:59 PM »
It's good for your health and teaches kids a lot of valuable lessons.

same is true of hard physical labor.  and the state could be paid for the children's efforts instead of wasting tax dollars on recreation.

I don't think hard physical labor teaches lessons, and it could be detrimental to their health.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »
high schools playing football is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  playing any sports is at best unnecessary.  i don't know why michigancat thinks kansas should encourage poor children to waste their time playing sports.

Play for their muni's team on a subsidized/reduced entry fee as they do now for little league sports.
wouldn't that make one less reason for poor kids to go school?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »

play free sports on their own time?  i dunno, what do third world children do to stay in so much better shape than the fat little monsters we have in this country?
I have LTWIQ but i think they play soccer :dunno:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »

Play for their muni's team on a subsidized/reduced entry fee as they do now for little league sports.
wouldn't that make one less reason for poor kids to go school?

If we are using sports to keep any kid getting C's so that he/she can play sports, well we are doing it(education) completely wrong.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »
Like, I don't have a big problem with dropping sports, (especially football), but is that really much of a problem with education budgets? The $5 on football for $1 on math comment seems misleading at best. this whole discussion just feels like a red herring

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2015, 12:55:04 PM »
also, third world children probably eat less junk food

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »
Like, I don't have a big problem with dropping sports, (especially football), but is that really much of a problem with education budgets? The $5 on football for $1 on math comment seems misleading at best. this whole discussion just feels like a red herring

It may be.  I heard it in a podcast yesterday.  Some lady was looking hard at South Korea and Finland for educational differences from US.  One was sports and she shot out a couple stats, the 5:1 thing being the biggest one. 

She had some really interesting notes from her study(now a book).  Podcast was an epi of This....Is Interesting, if anyone is interested.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2015, 01:01:15 PM »
also, third world children probably eat less junk food

they get a lot of great exercise walking to the nearest empty field to play sports with the other local third world children in their free time.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2015, 01:02:25 PM »
I don't think hard physical labor teaches lessons, and it could be detrimental to their health.

i'd like to see the data on workplace injuries v sports injuries.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »

It may be.  I heard it in a podcast yesterday.  Some lady was looking hard at South Korea and Finland for educational differences from US.  One was sports and she shot out a couple stats, the 5:1 thing being the biggest one. 

She had some really interesting notes from her study(now a book).  Podcast was an epi of This....Is Interesting, if anyone is interested.

It's this, I think:

http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/this-is-interesting/the-smartest-kids-in-the-world-are-not-in-the-u-s

I don't like how they just throw around the word "smart". Just bugged me in the first couple of minutes. I'll definitely listen to the whole thing though and maybe even read the book.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »

i'd like to see the data on workplace injuries v sports injuries.

"hard labor" is pretty vague, too.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2015, 01:07:03 PM »

It's this, I think:

http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/this-is-interesting/the-smartest-kids-in-the-world-are-not-in-the-u-s

I don't like how they just throw around the word "smart". Just bugged me in the first couple of minutes. I'll definitely listen to the whole thing though and maybe even read the book.

Yep, that is it.  If you hated that, just wait to hear how often the host uses "fetish".  Kinda creepy.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »
"hey, our children are fat and lazy, any ideas?''

"well, in the fall we could spend 5x our math budget to ship the largest males off to other schools to ram into the largest males at those schools.  then in the winter, the tallest males and females could jump up and down beneath metal hoops until a suitable fraction have ankle and knee problems.  in the spring, the ones with the best hand eye coordination can use a club to try to hit a small ball thrown at them by whatever child in a nearby town has the best throwing ability.  the children can take turns with the hitting, they can sit on a bench and chew stuff while they wait.''

"males and females?"

"the females should use a larger ball."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2015, 01:13:21 PM »
"hard labor" is pretty vague, too.

sorry.  gardening, the poor children should garden.  the growing of food will teach them lessons and help feed their beleaguered families.  now just look up the data on sports vs gardening injuries.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »

"well, in the fall we could spend 5x our math budget to ship the largest males off to other schools to ram into the largest males at those schools.  then in the winter, the tallest males and females could jump up and down beneath metal hoops until a suitable fraction have ankle and knee problems.  in the spring, the ones with the best hand eye coordination can use a club to try to hit a small ball thrown at them by whatever child in a nearby town has the best throwing ability.  the children can take turns with the hitting, they can sit on a bench and chew stuff while they wait.''

"males and females?"

I enjoyed this

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »

"males and females?"

:lol:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »
I used my internet browser skills to look up the state budget and actual expenditures. The last 2 years Kansas has spent the most money it ever has on education.  By hundreds of millions of dollars.

FSD doesn't adjust for inflation because of Kansas education

:lol: :lol:  Yes all that massive inflation we've had over the last 5 years...

I really enjoy this in light of the fact that both inflation metrics released this week showed prices declining.

You killed it, there has been no inflation in the past 5 years.

If you're suggesting the amount of money spent on education has increased at a rate slower than inflation, you are insane.

I'm suggesting they are not spending OMG SO MUCH MORE on education that Brownback needs to make a point in his address about cutting the crap out of education.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
it's kind of funny that in basketball the ball size is opposite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
wow, south korean schools sound awful. no thanks.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2015, 01:27:48 PM »
wow, south korean schools sound awful. no thanks.

Yeah.  Finland(I think it was Finland) sounds pretty great, though. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2015, 01:29:27 PM »
wait, she says we train twice as many teachers as we need? :dubious:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2015, 01:31:58 PM »
Elevating the teaching profession (like Finland) is something I've mentioned many times on this blog.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2015, 01:49:26 PM »
Yeah, I don't believe her stat about math/football, and I don't think anyone considers sports as a "main mission" of schools as she asserts. she shouldn't even mention it and should focus on elevating the teaching profession IMO.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2015, 01:50:09 PM »
Yeah, I don't believe her stat about math/football, and I don't think anyone considers sports as a "main mission" of schools as she asserts. she shouldn't even mention it and should focus on elevating the teaching profession IMO.

link to these claims/stats?