Author Topic: Thanks, Obama! (for reals tho)  (Read 3901 times)

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Thanks, Obama! (for reals tho)
« on: January 08, 2015, 10:55:32 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks, Obama! (for reals tho)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »
FHA loans are for poors, and signing up more poors for mortgages they can't really afford is exactly what led to the last crash. So in other words, par for the Obama course. Speaking of which, I wonder where he's golfing today?

For example, from the article you cite...

Fiscal conservatives have faulted the FHA for taking on risk and failing to meet statutory requirements related to cash reserves. By law, it is required to have 2 percent of its portfolio of guarantees held in reserve, but it hasn't met that requirement in years. Before the announced changes, the Obama administration did not expect it to meet the requirement before 2016. In 2013, the FHA required a $1.7 billion bailout from the Treasury.

"The federal government should be winding down its involvement in the mortgage business, not engaging in a race to the bottom," said Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., in response to the announcement.

House Financial Services Chairman Jeb Hensarling, a Texas Republican, called the move "a grave mistake" that would put the FHA behind in rebuilding capital reserves. He noted that the committee plans to question Castro on the FHA's finances.

My advice would be to save up for a 20% DP and take out a conventional mortgage. You'll save more money than paying that "reduced" FHA fee.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:22:43 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:25:10 AM »
the government should eliminate the mortgage interest deduction

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 11:31:21 AM »

Agreed. And while we're wishing for things that will never happen, I'd like Congressional term limits and pay cuts and a balanced budget amendment.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »
Shut your stupid face, renter!
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 11:35:31 AM »

Agreed. And while we're wishing for things that will never happen, I'd like Congressional term limits and pay cuts and a balanced budget amendment.

well if we aren't going to eliminate it, we should make it easier for less wealthy people (aka people you so eloquently refer to as "poors") to purchase homes.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
i mean, i don't consider myself "a poor" but i also don't have 20% laying around to throw down, udigg?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 11:38:59 AM »
i mean, i don't consider myself "a poor" but i also don't have 20% laying around to throw down, udigg?

I would recommend waiting until you get the 20%, too. But, I had to move for work when I had like zero equity in my house and it was really scary/stressful. It's really the only time in my life I've been stressed. Of course, that may never happen to you.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »

well if we aren't going to eliminate it, we should make it easier for less wealthy people (aka people you so eloquently refer to as "poors") to purchase homes.

Those are two separate issues. Is it "fair" to provide a perverse incentive to take on more debt? I don't know - I know it's bad policy at least.

But whether it is fair or not, it's just stupid to encourage people who can't afford to put 20 down to take out a loan many magnitudes larger than their annual income. Talk about not learning from mistakes - this is the same bullshit Barney Fwank was advocating 10 years ago.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »

Sorry dude - hope I didn't insult you. Aspiring to own a home is a good thing, and it's possible that taking out a mortgage with less down will work out just fine and not cost you too much more money. I genuinely hope it works out great for you.

It's just that as a matter of overall policy - this is not good.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
PMI rates should be based upon the risk of default. They should not be based upon idiotic political stunts to save first time home buyers and zero equity buyers $3 a month.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 11:53:37 AM »
i agree with you for the most part, that it is risky to give out loans to people with such small amounts down. but also the lenders are being much much more strict about who qualifies for these type loans.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 11:53:55 AM »
PMI rates should be based upon the risk of default. They should not be based upon idiotic political stunts to save first time home buyers and zero equity buyers $3 a month.

yeah well it's a lot more than that

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 12:00:59 PM »
Ignoring how irresponsible and reckless this is from a policy standpoint, if the $75 a month savings quoted is the difference between buying a house with no equity and not, you should not buy a house.

Mortgage interest deductions are okay with me. We need people to die with assets.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 12:03:12 PM »
well it's not the difference between buying and not buying, but it's just XX amount more going to principal rather than insurance. i mean sheesh i thought i could just come in here and  :D

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 12:07:04 PM »
FHA loans are not just for the poors. Lots of first time buyers straight out of college participate in the program as do many older people in middle class career positions.

Also KSU, dude quit with the Barney Frank caused this bullshit. If you had any type of knowledge of the financial meltdown you would point the finger at the sub-prime mortgage firms (Countrywide) and the investment banks who offered such terms.

Quit playing for the team and deal with the actual facts

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »
well it's not the difference between buying and not buying, but it's just XX amount more going to principal rather than insurance. i mean sheesh i thought i could just come in here and  :D

If you put the $75 towards principal, good for you.  :D

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
FHA loans are not just for the poors. Lots of first time buyers straight out of college participate in the program as do many older people in middle class career positions.

Also KSU, dude quit with the Barney Frank caused this bullshit. If you had any type of knowledge of the financial meltdown you would point the finger at the sub-prime mortgage firms (Countrywide) and the investment banks who offered such terms.

Don't forget Fannie, Freddie, va, fha, etc.  Also, the complete failure of a well funded of numerous redundant regulatory bodies. The government had myriad opportunities to fulfill their stated objective and fell flat on its face. Barney Frank was very much a part of the problem, although far from 100% to blame.

That's some of the rest of the facts.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »

Don't forget Fannie, Freddie, va, fha, etc.  Also, the complete failure of a well funded of numerous redundant regulatory bodies. The government had myriad opportunities to fulfill their stated objective and fell flat on its face. Barney Frank was very much a part of the problem, although far from 100% to blame.

That's some of the rest of the facts.

I can't disagree with the government sponsored regulatory bodies like Fannie and Freddie who also had private market interests and a closer relationship with congress.

But its dumb to always bring up Democrats as the culprit when Republicans ran the committee for the first six years of last decade. Ultimately tho, it was congress being bought out by the financial lobby and government officials revolving back into the private sector that was the problem.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »

Those are two separate issues. Is it "fair" to provide a perverse incentive to take on more debt? I don't know - I know it's bad policy at least.

But whether it is fair or not, it's just stupid to encourage people who can't afford to put 20 down to take out a loan many magnitudes larger than their annual income. Talk about not learning from mistakes - this is the same bullshit Barney Fwank was advocating 10 years ago.

We need people to die with assets.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 02:33:25 PM »

I'm well aware of the actual facts - I suspect quite a bit more than you. This is my industry. I'm not going to write a book on the details of the subprime mortgage crisis on a message board. Of course Barney Fwank was not the primary culprit, but he was one of the most outspoken cheerleaders for these terrible policies, so he makes for a good example. Plus, I don't think anyone provides a better caricature of a corrupt buffoon than Barney.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 03:07:27 AM »

but they mostly aren't.  the vast majority of people don't shop for pmi, they just accept whoever the mortgage issuer or servicer "recommends".  it's a ridiculously profitable industry.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 03:11:35 AM »

changing it from a deduction to a credit is probably politically feasible and would be a significant improvement.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 03:23:21 AM »

but they mostly aren't.  the vast majority of people don't shop for pmi, they just accept whoever the mortgage issuer or servicer "recommends".  it's a ridiculously profitable industry.

just read on the subject a little more and found out that no one shops for pmi.  the lender selects, the borrower pays.  what a joke.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 06:09:41 AM »
As someone who was poor when buying my first house in 2006 it was incredibly easy.   I'm closing on a house on Tuesday and the process has been 10 times more difficult because of new Fed regulations.