Author Topic: Things to do in Houston in Late May  (Read 2102 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Things to do in Houston in Late May
« on: April 15, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »
So I will be in Houston from May 25 to the 29th.  What fun stuff can I do at night so I don't kill myself at the end of every day I am there?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do in Houston in Late May
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
Hang out with J-Mart

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:02:52 PM »
Hang out with J-Mart
:frown: I don't have the extensive wardrobe necessary...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
Hang out with J-Mart
:frown: I don't have the extensive wardrobe necessary...

He has a pair of black K-State Nike Elite shorts.  He will prolly let you wear them if you ask. 

Offline BRULL

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:28:08 PM »
So I will be in Houston from May 25 to the 29th.  What fun stuff can I do at night so I don't kill myself at the end of every day I am there?

Depends on your interests. If you like skanky women, there is a titty bar on every corner. If you like getting your nails done, there are a plethora of options.

Restruants galore...

Offline krazykat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:47:58 PM »
take a gun and do some target practice.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
just go over to Brull's house and PAK with him

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »
I will be at the mercy of public transport and downtown at the the Hyatt Regency.  I assume this will be the noncool part of town.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
I'll be there in early May so I can hide a $10 bill somewhere and give you clues of its whereabouts.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 06:56:41 PM »
I think that's the start of mosquito herding season.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 07:37:28 PM »
I have a sister who lives in Houston

Offline krazykat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 08:15:02 PM »
I have a sister who lives in Houston

if she is hot you should let chingon nail her.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 06:51:44 AM »
I will be at the mercy of public transport and downtown at the the Hyatt Regency.  I assume this will be the noncool part of town.

You will be fine.  Good location if on foot. 

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 08:32:41 AM »
I'll be there in early May so I can hide a $10 bill somewhere and give you clues of its whereabouts.
lol
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »
Downtown isn't bad safety-wise if you use your head.  The concierge should be able to direct you to plenty of places within walking distance of the Hyatt.  The light rail is pretty easy to use, too, but it is a limited route.  There are lots of bars and restaurants along Main.  Might require a cab, but between Dallas and W. Gray on the other side of I-45 there are lots of options.

I'm not downtown very often, but I like the Flying Saucer (downtown) for a good cocktail and the Ginger Man (Rice Village-probably have to get a cab or use the buses to get there, but if you check out the routes/schedules the buses are managable, but are what you would expect) for just about any beer available on tap.  Vic & Anthony's, Post Oak Grill and the Strip House are decent places to get a steak, and I think there is a Pappa's BBQ down there, but I'm not as big a fan as others.  I'm sure there are some good mexican places down there, but I'm not familiar with any.  Kim Son is also supposed to be good.  I like the habanero shrimp burrito at Cabo for like $7.

Kind of a stretch, but maybe check out what is going on at Discovery Green.  Never been there, but occaisionally there might be a concert or something there that some people might find interesting.  Astros are another option if they are in town, and the stadium is not far form the rail.

Check out the Aquarium or the food court at Ikea if you have time.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
Go to an Astros game at Minute Maid Park. Their stadium is downtown.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »
I am going to hold you to this.

Offline BRULL

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 12:58:04 PM »
Downtown isn't bad safety-wise if you use your head.  The concierge should be able to direct you to plenty of places within walking distance of the Hyatt.  The light rail is pretty easy to use, too, but it is a limited route.  There are lots of bars and restaurants along Main.  Might require a cab, but between Dallas and W. Gray on the other side of I-45 there are lots of options.

I'm not downtown very often, but I like the Flying Saucer (downtown) for a good cocktail and the Ginger Man (Rice Village-probably have to get a cab or use the buses to get there, but if you check out the routes/schedules the buses are managable, but are what you would expect) for just about any beer available on tap.  Vic & Anthony's, Post Oak Grill and the Strip House are decent places to get a steak, and I think there is a Pappa's BBQ down there, but I'm not as big a fan as others.  I'm sure there are some good mexican places down there, but I'm not familiar with any.  Kim Son is also supposed to be good.  I like the habanero shrimp burrito at Cabo for like $7.

Kind of a stretch, but maybe check out what is going on at Discovery Green.  Never been there, but occaisionally there might be a concert or something there that some people might find interesting.  Astros are another option if they are in town, and the stadium is not far form the rail.

Check out the Aquarium or the food court at Ikea if you have time.

You can also take a cab anywhere in downtown/midtown for $5. The best Steak House downtown imho is Vic and Anthony's. It's like a block away from Minute Maid Park. Get the Surf and Turf... f'ing awesome. The Flying Saucer is alright and there are a couple of Irish pubs a block from the saucer that aren't bad, just depends on the night. Market Square Grill and Tavern has some of the best burgers and if you like em real greasy and fresh, try the Hubcap Grill. There is the Bayou Place, which has a movie theater, Hard Rock, a SLick Willie's Pool Hall, Verizon Theater (concerts, comedy shows), and a couple other restaurants. For late night after hours food, try Frank's Pizza. Pretty good New York style and they are open until 3AM.