Author Topic: Anybody heard about this Rolling Stone UVA rape story controversy?  (Read 15214 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody heard about this Rolling Stone UVA rape story controversy?
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »
Do you really think that a raper would pass on a possible rape because the potential rapee wasn't showing cleavage or wearing tight pants?  He can see a little titty and it's raping time.  Those tits are nice and covered, no thanks he'll pass. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2015, 04:55:09 PM »
Do you really think that a raper would pass on a possible rape because the potential rapee wasn't showing cleavage or wearing tight pants?  He can see a little titty and it's raping time.  Those tits are nice and covered, no thanks he'll pass.

no boners, no rape

know boners, know rape

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2015, 05:32:03 PM »
I can honestly say, in my fraternity, rape prevention was never on one of our meeting agendas.

Honestly? In-house risk management can be good to extremely poor depending upon the chapter. It was pretty good at ours at KSU - which, by the way, has a relatively well-managed and tame Greek system. These are 18-22yo males with often far too-little supervision. And college women also seem to be getting dumber and putting themselves in riskier situations when it comes to parties, dress, drugs, and alcohol. It terrifies the general fraternities. They're constantly trying to recruit alums to come in and provide guidance - especially risk management. Women and alcohol are literally lawsuits waiting to happen.

:sdeek:

I know that's not a PC thing to say, but it is true. Don't be a PCtard. That doesn't mean scantily-dressed women deserve to be assaulted, and it doesn't reduce the culpability of the men involved, but it's still a stupid thing to do. Women are engaging in riskier behavior and it's a serious liability problem. National fraternities are clamping down more and more, as they should. I would bet you that most fraternities outlaw house parties within the next decade. Parties will be held at more easily monitored public venues, just like a number of fraternities already do now.

I mean...c'mon guy.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2015, 06:14:09 PM »

no boners, no rape

know boners, know rape

Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2015, 06:16:24 PM »
i'm a little confused about who is going to have their reputation tarnished by this forever.  did the story use actual names of individuals?

The girl asked the Rolling Stone not to contact any of the fraternity bros or house, which should have put an end to the story. She only identified one guy as "Drew", and it turns out he isn't even a member of the frat.
Ah of course.  "Drew."  Yeah everyone knows "Drew" that goes to UVA.  "Drew" that goes to UVA...man his reputation is tarnished forever.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2015, 06:23:03 PM »
I have met a "drew" that went to ksu  :ohno:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »
i'm a little confused about who is going to have their reputation tarnished by this forever.  did the story use actual names of individuals?

The girl asked the Rolling Stone not to contact any of the fraternity bros or house, which should have put an end to the story. She only identified one guy as "Drew", and it turns out he isn't even a member of the frat.
Ah of course.  "Drew."  Yeah everyone knows "Drew" that goes to UVA.  "Drew" that goes to UVA...man his reputation is tarnished forever.

My point was they never should have identified the frat house just on her word. Poor journalism.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2015, 09:28:18 PM »
Great point, I'm sure nobody at uva knows who is in the phi psi house.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2015, 10:27:28 AM »

Everyone knows to not wear yoga pants over there now.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »

Everyone knows to not wear yoga pants over there now.

No rape, tho

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2015, 10:57:56 AM »
We gotta get some type of rape safe/rape attracting clothes manual.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2015, 12:41:43 PM »
And surely it's members' reputations will be forever tarnished.

I'm not saying RS didn't screw up in a catastrophic way, but lets tone it down just a tad.  A year from now, anyone who paid attention to this enough to remember that it was the phi psi house, will definitely remember the widely publicized retraction.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2015, 01:29:25 PM »

I'm not saying RS didn't screw up in a catastrophic way, but lets tone it down just a tad.  A year from now, anyone who paid attention to this enough to remember that it was the phi psi house, will definitely remember the widely publicized retraction.

But the women!  With their skirts and sexuality, they're practically asking for it! /KSUW
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »

i think "let's just tone it down a tad" is exactly what i was going for earlier ITT, but that was a fruitless endeavor

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »

If the RS had exhibited a modicum of candor or integrity in its reporting, you might have a point. Still yet, if it had exhibited the slightest bit of remorse for the damage it's recklessness caused the fraternity, it could be forgivable. None of that happened, which makes its actions malicious and unconscionable. In our society, that warrants harsh punishment.

Since its a corporation and not a person, we probably can't punish it though, because corporations can't do anything that's not corporate-y, by the silence of the constitution.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »

That's not a strong defenses to a libel suit nor should it be. RS needs to be severely punished. This wasn't just negligent (and that's all that's required) it was reckless. The fraternity will have no problem proving damage and it may not even have to (rape accusation would seem to perfectly fit libel per se).
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2015, 02:07:30 PM »
do you guys get this fired up about actual rape when it happens? seriously.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2015, 02:08:34 PM »
like, i'm not even sure if there's a Cosby thread around here, but i feel like you're going after RS ten times harder than you have Bill Cosby. why?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2015, 02:19:46 PM »

You think an apology to the stained bed sheets is consequence enough for the convicted rapist, so what difference does it make?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2015, 02:27:46 PM »

You think an apology to the stained bed sheets is consequence enough for the convicted rapist, so what difference does it make?

so, no?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »
It's a long post, but worth a read if you're curious about the various legal hurdles the fraternity will face. Eugene Volokh is a very smart law professor. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/04/05/libel-law-and-the-rolling-stone-uva-alleged-gang-rape-story-an-update-in-light-of-the-columbia-school-of-journalism-report/

The toughest challenge the fraternity will face is whether the chapter and/or national fraternity can sue as a group, since it seems doubtful any individual was identified with enough specificty to stand on his own. But based on the law I've seen and what is cited by Volokh, I'd say there's a better than 50/50 chance that the fraternity will prevail on this point. That's because the allegations of a gang rape performed as part of some initiation defame a large portion of the chapter, and thereby defame all members of the chapter by implication.

The only thing I wish Volokh had addressed was "defamation per se." Under Virginia law, an allegation of "commission of some criminal offense involving moral turpitude" is defamation per se, which means that you don't have to show any damage at all.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »
I like volokh a lot, and I think he's right that no individual would have a case. But he kind of nonchalantly dubbed the fraternity a private figure.  I think that's a little suspect, and that designation is super important because it changes the negligence standard.

Even so, itll be interesting if they can prove damages to the fraternity itself.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2015, 07:00:40 PM »
itll be interesting if they can prove damages to the fraternity itself.

The chapter or general? Chapter should be pretty easy, what with having to shut down and the vandalism. General may be tougher but I bet they could show a drop in fundraising with creative enough accounting. If this case gets to the damages element RS is eff'd.

I'm also not sure that the public/private figure distinction will matter much, since I think the judge will find a question of fact for the jury as to whether RS was reckless - not just negligent. Again, if this case goes to a jury RS is eff'd.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:05:40 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2015, 07:16:36 PM »
If the frat asks for a jury trial, they should have a subsequent decent malpractice claim against their attorney. No rough ridin' way you're able to get a majority of people who aren't predisposed to hating fraternities.

The RS would be Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) not to settle, there's no upside to defending what they did. They should just admit that they're a comic book and quit pretending to be journalists. That's actually probably their best defense in this matter.