Author Topic: not just missouri, best to avoid all cops  (Read 181178 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: not just missouri, best to avoid all cops
« Reply #300 on: August 05, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
http://boingboing.net/2015/08/05/sheriffs-deputy-resigns-afte.html

According to the Wooster Daily Record, Peterman was hired by Holmes County Sheriff's Department shortly after he quit. Holmes County Sheriff Timothy Zemerly says he does not "foresee any issues with him."

"What was Wayne County's loss is Holmes County's gain," Zimmerly told the Record, confirming that Peterman had been sworn in as a deputy.

she was a mental health patient, which as Ed alluded to is the type of situation when cops need to let them know who's boss.

Awesome that we're just lying are asses off at this point.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 05, 2015, 11:54:49 AM »
what is going on here

A few posters were foolish with constructing their strawman and it fell apart on them.  Now they are running amok being uber cool.

A straw man is when somebody makes up a position you don't have and then attacks that position. Everyone is just attacking the stuff you type, fwiw.

yeah except I'm not advocating anything you guys are "attacking."  And doing a very poor job at that.  But don't bother reading posts, because than you'd know what a straw man you've created.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 05, 2015, 12:01:37 PM »
what is going on here

A few posters were foolish with constructing their strawman and it fell apart on them.  Now they are running amok being uber cool.

A straw man is when somebody makes up a position you don't have and then attacks that position. Everyone is just attacking the stuff you type, fwiw.

yeah except I'm not advocating anything you guys are "attacking."  And doing a very poor job at that.  But don't bother reading posts, because than you'd know what a straw man you've created.

Well, I have no idea what you are even talking about now. So you don't think the shooting was justified, and actually agree with everyone else that it was a murder?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 05, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »

According to the Wooster Daily Record, Peterman was hired by Holmes County Sheriff's Department shortly after he quit. Holmes County Sheriff Timothy Zemerly says he does not "foresee any issues with him."

"What was Wayne County's loss is Holmes County's gain," Zimmerly told the Record, confirming that Peterman had been sworn in as a deputy.

she was a mental health patient, which as Ed alluded to is the type of situation when cops need to let them know who's boss.

Fair enough, I do even remember reading that. I was wrong to lump you in, although I disagree with you on the interrupting part being an escalation.

less interrupting and more patience are examples of something the cop could have done differently. Not necessarily "escalations". Although human interaction is complicated and tone, body language, etc. can be considered "escalations" when added all up. It's stupid to split semantic hairs here.

But as you note these are important techniques for cops to have to keep situations under control.  I mean this isn't applicable to random stops in the hood, but are also useful when dealing with people with mental health issues, particularly body language/tone.  How do you strike the balance between maintaining control over situations where the cop "dictates" the pace of the conversation and prevents the suspect from monopolizing the conversation wasting time with excuses/distractions/obstruction. <--tough convo to have

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 05, 2015, 12:26:21 PM »
what is going on here

Well, I have no idea what you are even talking about now. So you don't think the shooting was justified, and actually agree with everyone else that it was a murder?

rough ridin' seriously?  We're that rough ridin' stupid around here?

Lets try bullet points:
*Ohio statute allows for the use of deadly force to prevent harm in assaults with a deadly weapon. 
*I'm believe a car can be a deadly weapon.
*I'm not sure if the cop was dragged long enough to rise to the statute's necessary level of harm
*I believe the cop acted respectfully during his verbal interaction with Dubose.
*I believe he was justified to detain Dubose to ascertain his identity.
*I also believe anyone who thinks asking for the license was unreasonable (Michigan) is a rough ridin' idiot. Dubose was indirect and acting in a suspicious manner, therefore simply providing his name was not a reasonable alternative.
*I believe it was legitimate but stupid to open the car door and to reach inside of the car. 
*I believe Dubose bears a great deal of responsibility for his death because he attempted to flee a legitimate detainment and investigation. That does not remove the culpability for the cop killing him.

*The question(s) many have failed to recognize is that the cop was preforming a legal stop and investigation.  Does Dubose attempting to flee and the cops fear of harm rise to the level of assault with a deadly weapon's felony provisions? Remember that the standard is harm, not fear of death.  Do people feel the cop needs to be dragged "X" feet before harm is "achieved?" 

*Finally, as the video shows, there was a physical confrontation, and I think the cop was too fast to pull his weapons.  I do believe he, the cop, thought he was being dragged. I am personally unresolved about the shooting because it was too early, ie he should have been dragged further.  I personally believe it was not murder, under the statute, at best it's voluntary manslaughter.  I am glad I'm not on the jury because I'm not sure if he is guilty or innocent.  The video is too poor to really tell how long he has been moved down the street before the shot.  I know that Dubose actions directly led to his death, specifically turning the car on and putting it in gear.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 05, 2015, 12:27:21 PM »

Fair enough, I do even remember reading that. I was wrong to lump you in, although I disagree with you on the interrupting part being an escalation.

less interrupting and more patience are examples of something the cop could have done differently. Not necessarily "escalations". Although human interaction is complicated and tone, body language, etc. can be considered "escalations" when added all up. It's stupid to split semantic hairs here.

But as you note these are important techniques for cops to have to keep situations under control.  I mean this isn't applicable to random stops in the hood, but are also useful when dealing with people with mental health issues, particularly body language/tone.  How do you strike the balance between maintaining control over situations where the cop "dictates" the pace of the conversation and prevents the suspect from monopolizing the conversation wasting time with excuses/distractions/obstruction. <--tough convo to have

Thanks for quoting me so people can see where you are lying your ass off. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2015, 12:50:53 PM »

Good lord that guy's picture.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2015, 12:56:24 PM »

Which is scarier, that conduct or the guy's new sheriff who says it's not a problem?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 05, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »

Which is scarier, that conduct or the guy's new sheriff who says it's not a problem?

The Sheriff.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2015, 01:08:43 PM »
what is going on here

rough ridin' seriously?  We're that rough ridin' stupid around here?

Lets try bullet points:
*Ohio statute allows for the use of deadly force to prevent harm in assaults with a deadly weapon. 
*I'm believe a car can be a deadly weapon.
*I'm not sure if the cop was dragged long enough to rise to the statute's necessary level of harm
*I believe the cop acted respectfully during his verbal interaction with Dubose.
*I believe he was justified to detain Dubose to ascertain his identity.
*I also believe anyone who thinks asking for the license was unreasonable (Michigan) is a rough ridin' idiot. Dubose was indirect and acting in a suspicious manner, therefore simply providing his name was not a reasonable alternative.
*I believe it was legitimate but stupid to open the car door and to reach inside of the car. 
*I believe Dubose bears a great deal of responsibility for his death because he attempted to flee a legitimate detainment and investigation. That does not remove the culpability for the cop killing him.

*The question(s) many have failed to recognize is that the cop was preforming a legal stop and investigation.  Does Dubose attempting to flee and the cops fear of harm rise to the level of assault with a deadly weapon's felony provisions? Remember that the standard is harm, not fear of death.  Do people feel the cop needs to be dragged "X" feet before harm is "achieved?" 

*Finally, as the video shows, there was a physical confrontation, and I think the cop was too fast to pull his weapons.  I do believe he, the cop, thought he was being dragged. I am personally unresolved about the shooting because it was too early, ie he should have been dragged further.  I personally believe it was not murder, under the statute, at best it's voluntary manslaughter.  I am glad I'm not on the jury because I'm not sure if he is guilty or innocent.  The video is too poor to really tell how long he has been moved down the street before the shot.  I know that Dubose actions directly led to his death, specifically turning the car on and putting it in gear.

The car didn't even start moving until after the cop killed the driver.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 05, 2015, 01:25:53 PM »

Hard to tell from the unedited video.  But that gets back to a central point that few have answered. Is there a bright-line of harm that being dragged 1ft is different than 10ft?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 05, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »
There is certainly some pretty hard evidence that the driver was intending to move the car. I mean, when I start the car and put it in drive, you can rest assured that I am leaving.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2015, 01:29:11 PM »

Hard to tell from the unedited video.  But that gets back to a central point that few have answered. Is there a bright-line of harm that being dragged 1ft is different than 10ft?

Is it reasonable to believe he was being dragged at all? That would require him to draw and fire his weapon one-handed and hit a moving target while he is also moving and his left arm is in the way.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 05, 2015, 01:48:29 PM »

Is it reasonable to believe he was being dragged at all? That would require him to draw and fire his weapon one-handed and hit a moving target while he is also moving and his left arm is in the way.
A few things you can tell from the video.  1) He is low to the side of the car.  Part of that is assuredly from leaning over to reach in.  I think part of it is because the car moves slightly (certainly not the 10ish ft people are claiming on Blaze).
2) He draws and fires very quickly but has a high angle.  Cops are necessarily taught to shoot for the head but center mass.  So part of me thinks it as a nervous quick fire where the cop was just trying to get on target (Dubose) and shot as soon as the weapon was near.  Due to the angle and speed of the action, that left the head as the destination.  All of that, by built in muscle memory is milliseconds.  So the car would not have moved much, the target was not moving much, and his left arm was down on the seat belt/left arm/chest of Dubose, as clearly visible in the frame by frame video I posted. Now the video, even the unedited video, doesn't give you a food idea of the surroundings of the car.  Because of the motion blur and poor frame rate it's hard to tell when the shot occurred to how much has moved.  I do believe the car moved slightly as most car do when you put them in gear, but 99% of the motion was probably after the shot/Dubose death.  Does that 1% rise to the level of harm or fear of harm?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 05, 2015, 02:08:28 PM »
Does the video show him getting blown away?  I don't want to watch that

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2015, 02:12:06 PM »
the video I posted earlier has a blur over it.  I've found an unblurred video and you really can't see much at all.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
This cop is a liar.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »

when someone posted a compilation video of cops killing citizens I learned that gunshot wound deaths aren't particularly graphic initially.

Although I did find an extended video that blurs out the confrontation and shot (murder), but doesn't blur out the dude just laying there dead with blood everywhere.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2015, 03:40:40 PM »
I'm not watching anyone getting shot to death even if it isn't gorey. it's almost more unsettling if it's not. like, someone posted a video on here one time of a guy running from the police and then he just stops and shoots himself and falls over dead and there was no blood or anything but it was really disturbing.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2015, 03:46:32 PM »

0'-0" = not dragged.

You are def the one building something to argue in this thread.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2015, 04:09:34 PM »
I'm not watching anyone getting shot to death even if it isn't gorey. it's almost more unsettling if it's not. like, someone posted a video on here one time of a guy running from the police and then he just stops and shoots himself and falls over dead and there was no blood or anything but it was really disturbing.

This.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2015, 04:14:29 PM »
I normally wouldn't watch something like that, but I think it's important for people to see citizens murdered by police. But I understand why you wouldn't want to (and I think you guys know this is a problem). I'm still scarred from seeing the video of the pennsylvania politician putting his gun in his mouth at a press conference in the 80's. (I saw it in like 2004).

But I think anyone that shares the fetus parts videos should be like required to also see the videos of cops blasting folks.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 05, 2015, 04:26:28 PM »
Bud!

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 05, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »
Field knife video scarred me for a bit. Dnepropetrovsk maniacs hammer video, I only made it about 20 to thirty seconds.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 05, 2015, 05:50:04 PM »

0'-0" = not dragged.

You are def the one building something to argue in this thread.

Sorry you didn't watch the video and providing a voice of slow reason instead of a rush to judgement.