Author Topic: Contesting a traffic ticket (OFFICER DARIS NOT ALLOWED)  (Read 9710 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: Contesting a traffic ticket (OFFICER DARIS NOT ALLOWED)
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »
#se2

Offline brandochav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »
NO CONSEQUENCES!

Gonna win 'em all!

Well, that only applies to a certain group of people.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 04:01:12 PM »
I was making a right turn last week and almost got hit by some guy trying to take a left turn all the way over into my lane. :shakesfist:

And that's a situation where the law makes sense. The law doesn't make sense where you're not at a 4-way stop, like exiting off the interstate in the OP's situation. In that instance, it doesn't matter which lane you turn into because there's no oncoming traffic.

I received a nearly identical bullshit ticket just a few months ago when turning right at a highway exit. I turned into the inner lane because my very next turn (less than half a block) was to turn left from the inner lane into a neighborhood. I tried to explain this to the cop - he wrote me the ticket anyway. This is why I strongly dislike cops. It's all well and good when they're actually "serving and protecting," but they too often engage in nothing more than writing up bullshit tickets to raise revenue for their new SWAT gear.

But in answer to the OP, pay the fine. You'll actually end up paying more money in adminsitrative fees (yes, you have to actually pay more money to get your "trial") than if you just pay the ticket, and you're going to lose except in the rare instance where the ticket is dismissed because the cop doesn't show up.

Besides, if you believe in karma, there's a good liklihood that cop will develop ass cancer in the near future for the screwjob he gave you. So take solace in that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 04:18:52 PM »
I was making a right turn last week and almost got hit by some guy trying to take a left turn all the way over into my lane. :shakesfist:

And that's a situation where the law makes sense. The law doesn't make sense where you're not at a 4-way stop, like exiting off the interstate in the OP's situation. In that instance, it doesn't matter which lane you turn into because there's no oncoming traffic.

I received a nearly identical bullshit ticket just a few months ago when turning right at a highway exit. I turned into the inner lane because my very next turn (less than half a block) was to turn left from the inner lane into a neighborhood. I tried to explain this to the cop - he wrote me the ticket anyway. This is why I strongly dislike cops. It's all well and good when they're actually "serving and protecting," but they too often engage in nothing more than writing up bullshit tickets to raise revenue for their new SWAT gear.

But in answer to the OP, pay the fine. You'll actually end up paying more money in adminsitrative fees (yes, you have to actually pay more money to get your "trial") than if you just pay the ticket, and you're going to lose except in the rare instance where the ticket is dismissed because the cop doesn't show up.

Besides, if you believe in karma, there's a good liklihood that cop will develop ass cancer in the near future for the screwjob he gave you. So take solace in that.

in Shawnee county/Topeka you pay court costs either way.   I mean, he is guilty, so pay the fine, but if he chose to he could show up and either hope the cop doesn't, or try to plea it down to a non-moving violation with the prosecutor.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 04:25:34 PM »

in Shawnee county/Topeka you pay court costs either way.   I mean, he is guilty, so pay the fine, but if he chose to he could show up and either hope the cop doesn't, or try to plea it down to a non-moving violation with the prosecutor.

Good to know, but I'd verify that if I was the OP. Also, wasting half a day (it really could take that long) at traffic court to see if the bad person shows up is probably not worth it. Not sure what pleading down to non-moving violation requires in Shawnee County, but it often requires doubling the fine. I've never been sure whether that would be costlier than just keeping it on insurance for 5 years as a moving violation.

I really hate when cops act like dickheads for no genuine safety purpose just to raise money.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 04:33:27 PM »
just show up at the court date at your assigned time and plead not guilty.  the fuzz will either show or not show and you will either be asked to pay or you won't be.

to the original poster, irregardless of whether his turn was ethical or not - this is the correct advice.  if you have the time, you have nothing to lose by contesting.  half the time the cops don't show up and you get off.  cops are really lazy and stupid.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 04:37:10 PM »
Showing up to court seems like a waste of PTO. I guess if you have some time that you are going to lose at the end of the year anyway, then show up, but otherwise I would just pay the fine.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
just show up at the court date at your assigned time and plead not guilty.  the fuzz will either show or not show and you will either be asked to pay or you won't be.

to the original poster, irregardless of whether his turn was ethical or not - this is the correct advice.  if you have the time, you have nothing to lose by contesting.  half the time the cops don't show up and you get off.  cops are really lazy and stupid.

Yeah, the ticket is $142.  $70 for the turn violation and $72 for court costs.  I'm on the hook for $72 no matter what I do but who knows, maybe I'll show up, get lucky and hopefully get the $70 knocked off. The ticket has the date and time of the court appearance printed on it so I'm going to call and ask if it will really happen reasonably close to that time or if I can expect to wait around for a few hours.

And KSUW, good lord I'm not thrilled about this either but I'm certainly not wishing ass cancer on the guy.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:42:32 PM by Brock Landers »

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »

Yeah, the ticket is $142.  $70 for the turn violation and $72 for court costs.  I'm on the hook for $72 no matter what I do but who knows, maybe I'll show up, get lucky and hopefully get the $70 knocked off. The ticket has the date and time of the court appearance printed on it so I'm going to call and ask if it will really happen reasonably close to that time or if I can expect to wait around for a few hours.

And KSUW, good lord I'm not thrilled about this either but I'm certainly not wishing ass cancer on the guy.

while youre on the phone asking if the time they gave you is actually the time you should show up to fight a $70 traffic ticket go ahead and argue with the clerk about your guilt. you might get off?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »
Send the clerk a picture of your hog

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 05:03:29 PM »
Ren said it with authority.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »
lawyer/cop types- what percentage of people who try to fight traffic tickets are poors?

my guess is 99%
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

The Big Train

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 05:09:34 PM »
it also may be better just to pay it and save yourself the embarrassment from judge judy

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »
you should have never pulled over.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 05:48:12 PM »
If there is no one around, why is it a big deal to turn into the proper lane, and then turn into the lane you need? This maneuver is easily pulled off under half a block in ksuw example and certainly can be done in the 2 block distance of the huntoon exit to Wanamaker.

However I do break this law more than i should, but it's only when I'm pulling a trailer and cops seem to be more lenient for that
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »

I'll wish it for both of us. I hope every cop who writes frivolous dickhead tickets gets a mean case of ass cancer.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
If there is no one around, why is it a big deal to turn into the proper lane, and then turn into the lane you need? This maneuver is easily pulled off under half a block in ksuw example and certainly can be done in the 2 block distance of the huntoon exit to Wanamaker.

However I do break this law more than i should, but it's only when I'm pulling a trailer and cops seem to be more lenient for that

It was half a "short" block, not a "long" one - and it would have required much more erratic maneuvering to turn into the right before immediately swinging left than to just make a nice smooth swing directly into the left. It was petty bullshit.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
I got one of those tickets out in Garden City.

I've never been to garden city, but I highly doubt there are any 4 lane roads there #debunked

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 05:55:10 PM »

It was half a "short" block, not a "long" one - and it would have required much more erratic maneuvering to turn into the right before immediately swinging left than to just make a nice smooth swing directly into the left. It was petty bullshit.

You sound petty and silly

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 05:55:51 PM »
And of course, my insurance doesn't differentiate between this bullshit and actually doing something dangerous, like texting of speeding. It's all just 1 moving violation.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 05:58:35 PM »
I got one of those tickets out in Garden City.

I've never been to garden city, but I highly doubt there are any 4 lane roads there #debunked
There's like two stop lights in town. I turned left and went into the wide lane going to work and then BOOM! Ticketed! I didn't even know it was a thing at the time. Nobody was to my right.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
It's all just 1 moving violation.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »
You people really should have been paying better attention during Driver's Ed.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »

Well, if no one is around, and a cop is someone, then you would never get ticketed for this.  However, we can conclude that at least one someone was around.