Author Topic: Any of you K-Staters from the early 90s remember this?  (Read 13839 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Any of you K-Staters from the early 90s remember this?
« on: April 14, 2010, 10:03:43 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Any of you K-Staters from the early 90s remember this?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:10:20 AM »
People used to write into the editor all the time about how much they hated that comic strip. 

LSOC and I were frequently angry letter writers back in the day....typically about Chad May related items.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »
Like what?

In fact, let's turn this thread into (largely non-sports related) K-State memories from the early 90s.  Those who were in town and/or students at the time get to comment.  Nobody else does.

1.  Remember when there was a big flap by feminists on campus in the very very early nineties because some girl gave a guy a blowjay at Rusty's in the middle of the day, kind of in broad daylight?  They said she was coerced into it, it was chauvinistic how guys on campus were celebrating it, etc.  There are old Collegian articles on it in the University Archives.  But mostly interesting is the fact that some girl gave a blowjay to a guy at Rusty's in the middle of the day!   :eek:

2.  Remember the Soul Asylum concert at Bramlage, supported by Matthew Sweet?  Was in 6th grade and went with TrustTheDust.  Amazing second show.  Bought our tickets at Streetside.  After the show we were waiting by what would later be the location of the Ernie Barrett statue.  Before my dad arrived to pick us up, two cool college guys came outside and offered us a joint.  We said no because we had just come from D.A.R.E. and were cool enough to know that drugs were bad.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 11:04:59 AM »
I went to that Soul Asylum concert.

There used to be this little Vietnamese kid who hung around the Union, I can't remember his first name, but his last name was Nguyen.  Anyway, he was a self-proclaimed performance poet and would read all the really crazy poems out loud all over the Union.  Stuff like "America is the penis that eff Vietnam..."  Wild stuff.

Jim Hmielewski (O-lineman) used to wear flip flops literally every day of the year.  Two feet of snow?  rough ridin' Hmielewski is still wearing flip flops.

The Omega Psi Phis (Q Dogs) used to be really big on campus.  Andre Coleman and those guys.  We used to hear constant barking around campus....one of them would start up at say Waters, and you'd hear those bastards as far away as McCain echoing each other.

Kites got shut down in 1993 because of too many MIPs.  Lucky's promptly opened up (where Porters is now, before it burned) and nothing missed a beat.  Lucky's was the hardest bar to get into with a fake....for awhile, before it too took a nose dive.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
Also went to the soul asylum/matthew sweet concert. I believe that was my sophomore year (95-96?)

used to spend hours down in the ville at streetside digging through the used cd's to find those 3 dollar one hit wonders that you just had to have.  Before Napster came along.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:11:25 AM »
Streetside was so badass bro.  I'd sit at the listening bar forever while my dad was doing some boring work bullcrap like going to Kinko's.   :blindfold:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:16:09 AM »
some students at the Kansas State University

lol

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »
I arrived in '95 so I don't have much.

I remember visiting a friend of mine in 1992 or so and us two broke-ass freshmen h.s. kids had enough money to order like 12 pizza shuttle pizzas for a basketball party.  Assuming Pizza Shuttle is still cheap as hell, but back then it was something ridiculous.

I remember Pyramid Pizza with fondness.  Hanging out at the "new" mall in the video arcade as a kid.  Kavanaugh kicking a dog.  Asbury getting on thin ice with fans on the "internet" prior to his '96 ncaa tourney appearance.  ICAT being "I contributed a twenty".  Enrolling in fracking Ahearn.  Soccer hippies at Old Stadium.  And of course the sheer brilliance of the moniker "Gaymaker" because of that dorm being all-male.  Ah, the memories.
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 11:25:22 AM »
Loved Jim's Journal.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
And Dickie V in the OOD was pretty incredible back in the day.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
Kites got shut down in 1993 because of too many MIPs.  Lucky's promptly opened up (where Porters is now, before it burned) and nothing missed a beat.  Lucky's was the hardest bar to get into with a fake....for awhile, before it too took a nose dive.

No, Porters was two busineses down.  There is a sub shop and some apartments there now. 

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »
And Dickie V in the OOD was pretty incredible back in the day.
Still don't understand why he came here then. But it was amazing.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 12:40:11 PM »

Jim Hmielewski (O-lineman) used to wear flip flops literally every day of the year.  Two feet of snow?  fracking Hmielewski is still wearing flip flops.

1) how can you mention hmielewski without mentioning his headphones  :confused:

2) i loved jims journal. have a jims journal paperback book.  :cool:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 12:43:04 PM »

Jim Hmielewski (O-lineman) used to wear flip flops literally every day of the year.  Two feet of snow?  fracking Hmielewski is still wearing flip flops.

1) how can you mention hmielewski without mentioning his headphones  :confused:

or his super dark tinted glasses that he wore all the time :confused:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 12:44:30 PM »
I had four fakes taken at Lucky's.  Started going with friends of ATO's had no problem.  Promptly puked in the pizza oven.  oops. :barf:

Jim's journal was awesome.  Waiting in line to pay fees at Ahearn was not.  One flat fee for as many classes was awesome.  Paying by the hour, not awesome.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »
I had four fakes taken at Lucky's.  Started going with friends of ATO's had no problem.  Promptly puked in the pizza oven.  oops. :barf:

Jim's journal was awesome.  Waiting in line to pay fees at Ahearn was not.  One flat fee for as many classes was awesome.  Paying by the hour, not awesome.
ya i loved being able to stock up on classes and pay the same amount as the people who were only taking 12 hrs.  i over enrolled knowing that i'd end up dropping half of them.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »
Also, Aggieville pizza.  Most of the time, the guys making the pizza were so stoned, they didn't charge you for it.

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 12:47:46 PM »
I had four fakes taken at Lucky's.  Started going with friends of ATO's had no problem.  Promptly puked in the pizza oven.  oops. :barf:

Jim's journal was awesome.  Waiting in line to pay fees at Ahearn was not.  One flat fee for as many classes was awesome.  Paying by the hour, not awesome.
ya i loved being able to stock up on classes and pay the same amount as the people who were only taking 12 hrs.  i over enrolled knowing that i'd end up dropping half of them.

So, that's why it took you seven years to graduate? :gocho:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »

:surprised:

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 01:54:02 PM »
What was the name of the advice column running in the Collegian around 94-96? Some of the questions were hilarious, like the guy that was worried about his roommate who liked to masturbate into a sock, and then wear it all day...

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 02:48:09 PM »

FIVE (and a half).  damn it.   :bang:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 02:55:37 PM »

FIVE (and a half).  damn it.   :bang:

:cheers:

me too. lol at the dumbasses who want(ed) to spend the next forty years or their lives working instead of the next 39.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:26:30 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline Prince McJunkins

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 03:14:54 PM »
There used to be this little Vietnamese kid who hung around the Union, I can't remember his first name, but his last name was Nguyen.  Anyway, he was a self-proclaimed performance poet and would read all the really crazy poems out loud all over the Union.  Stuff like "America is the penis that eff Vietnam..."  Wild stuff.
Quoc! Holy crap, I forgot about him. I knew him through a few friends. I went to some of the parties the Campus Vietnamese club hosted, which were quite a hoot. Quoc would make up the fliers, one in particular advertised the "mountains of beers". Good times.

Offline Prince McJunkins

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
Also went to the soul asylum/matthew sweet concert. I believe that was my sophomore year (95-96?)

used to spend hours down in the ville at streetside digging through the used cd's to find those 3 dollar one hit wonders that you just had to have.  Before Napster came along.

the year before Weezer and Live came to town. Me and some buddies went just for Weezer and left in the middle of Live's set. Also, this awful band called Fatima Mansions came on first. Lots of "get off the stage"/"you suck!" during their set.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 03:23:56 PM »
"Fatima Mansions"?   Man, that band was good at premonitions, because she undoubtedly lives in one now.