Author Topic: Any of you K-Staters from the early 90s remember this?  (Read 13827 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Any of you K-Staters from the early 90s remember this?
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 03:29:30 PM »
"Fatima Mansions"?   Man, that band was good at premonitions, because she undoubtedly lives in one now.

eff you for not acknowledging the fact that i have a jims journal paperback book. do you want to see it? too bad.  :flush:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 03:33:46 PM »
You're right bro, I apologize.  It actually is a very big deal to me.  I guess you could say I didn't acknowledge it because turnabout is fair play.

For reals though, I love that you have Jim's Journal.  Which one?  I Went To College And It Was Okay?  Because I just ordered that used on Amazon for $0.01 +$3.99 S&H.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 03:49:54 PM »
Also went to the soul asylum/matthew sweet concert. I believe that was my sophomore year (95-96?)

used to spend hours down in the ville at streetside digging through the used cd's to find those 3 dollar one hit wonders that you just had to have.  Before Napster came along.

the year before Weezer and Live came to town. Me and some buddies went just for Weezer and left in the middle of Live's set. Also, this awful band called Fatima Mansions came on first. Lots of "get off the stage"/"you suck!" during their set.

I remember being jealous of the Weezer flyers when I was visiting friends that year (had to stay home for one year of Juco, before heading to Kstate). Also remember seeing posters for Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids when I was there for highschool visitation.

Went to Neak Frasty one year not really knowing what to expect. That was the year that Soul 4 Real was there and ended up walking off stage in the middle of their set because the sound setup was horrible.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 03:52:51 PM »
You're right bro, I apologize.  It actually is a very big deal to me.  I guess you could say I didn't acknowledge it because turnabout is fair play.

For reals though, I love that you have Jim's Journal.  Which one?  I Went To College And It Was Okay?  Because I just ordered that used on Amazon for $0.01 +$3.99 S&H.

:lol:

totally did not see that thread and yeah...it is jims journal i went to college and it was okay. i guess he did a lot of stuff after that but i don't have it.

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »
best was drinking a beer in the street, watching bombers burn to the ground.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 05:16:38 PM »
best was drinking a beer in the street, watching bombers burn to the ground.

yeah. pretty good. watched it from my back yard.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »
also had JJIWtCaIWOK

Dilly's Deli....there was a sandwich.

And Union Fan loaf and biscuits and gravy.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 08:15:16 PM »
garth brooks concert in OoD, my dad bought a shirt and I totally wore it to bed. .....and the thunder rolllllllss and the lightning strikes, boom boOM BOOM
I'm purple down

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 08:23:13 PM »
i was so broke in college that i ate fan loafs for lunch for like 3 years straight.  just dipped the bread in the free ranch (sd's favorite dressing) and drank water.  elite.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »
i was so broke in college that i ate fan loafs for lunch for like 3 years straight.  just dipped the bread in the free ranch (sd's favorite dressing) and drank water.  elite.

I ate B&G and a Willie mug of DP every MWF morning during studio break  for 2 years.   And somehow I'm still fatter than in college.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
I was just a young pup traveling up for games, but I remember good music found at Streetside.  Also, had a friend (late 90s or maybe early 00s) that wrote the trash talking column they used to run in the collegian.  Distinctly remember him mocking Jonas Weatherbie, KU's third sting quarterback, for a DUI.  Pisses me off the Collegian won't run an article like that anymore.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 09:49:08 PM »
Soul Asylum wasn't early 90's.  It was 95.  Was a freshman then.  Didn't go.  Only about 10 people did since it was on a Tuesday I believe.  UPC lost something like $20K on it.

The bj at Chance was early 90's.  The article appeared on the front page of the Collegian on a day that there happened to be a whole bunch of us high school kids on campus.  Needless to say, we were all, "COLLEGE IS SOOOOO AWESOME!!! I'M  headED TO K-STATE!!!"

This is both early and mid 90's.  The expansion of Farrell Library into Hale and that stupid bottleneck through the one major artery between the north and south sides of campus.  Took forever to make it through there.  Slower yet when you were late for class.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Remember When We Had Hair and Didnt Drive Minivans?
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »
Sounds awesome doods^

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 01:47:45 PM »
What was the name of the advice column running in the Collegian around 94-96? Some of the questions were hilarious, like the guy that was worried about his roommate who liked to masturbate into a sock, and then wear it all day...

I remember that specific letter, I'm pretty sure the column was called "Dear Cassandra".  Anybody else remember?  Another Collegian gem was the column written by Kevyn Jacobs (note the spelling of his first name).  It was some 300 pound gay fat ugly dude with a  beard, who walked around campus in a fricking kilt. 

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 02:06:08 PM »
What was the name of the advice column running in the Collegian around 94-96? Some of the questions were hilarious, like the guy that was worried about his roommate who liked to masturbate into a sock, and then wear it all day...

I remember that specific letter, I'm pretty sure the column was called "Dear Cassandra".  Anybody else remember?  Another Collegian gem was the column written by Kevyn Jacobs (note the spelling of his first name).  It was some 300 pound gay fat ugly dude with a  beard, who walked around campus in a fricking kilt. 

That's right, it was Dear Cassandra. I remember everyone was pointing at each other when that one came out, and nobody dared touch another guy's sock. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 02:52:02 PM »

i remember both of those bags.  Dear Cassandra reminds me of that Effentra chick from 96.5 the Buzz, i hate her too.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 03:09:54 PM »
APHENTRA'S BIG FAT MORNING BUZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

</wacky morning DJamer>
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline kst8catfan

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 08:32:35 AM »
I wonder whatever happened to Shannon Casebeer.  That name was carved into hundreds of desks and written on every wall in Seaton / Seaton Court. :confused:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010, 08:48:28 AM »
I wonder whatever happened to Shannon Casebeer.  That name was carved into hundreds of desks and written on every wall in Seaton / Seaton Court. :confused:
shannon married dan gish.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 09:03:23 AM »

Excellent first post!   :cool:

Offline kst8catfan

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2010, 09:18:26 AM »
Dr. Milton Richards, our bean-counter athletics director, who was supposed to resurrect all our athletics programs, reported on the front page of the Collegian that his favorite restaurant in town was the snack-bar at K-Mart.  He didn't last long.  What a d-nozzle.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »
 :surprised:

Some jokester updated the Jim's Journal entry.

P. S. Daris.  I got my book.   :cool:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
:surprised:

Some jokester updated the Jim's Journal entry.

P. S. Daris.  I got my book.   :cool:

:lol:

what is your take on ruth? i don't like her.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »
My silk shirt and braided belt arrived in Marlatt Hall room 256, in the fall of 1993.  I remember getting harrassed by Campus Crusade for Christ.  I was skipping class as usual and watching Beverly Hillbillies re-runs one afternoon and got a call.  It was one of these CCC nutbags and he wanted to know if I had a few minutes to talk.  I couldn't think of anything better to do and figured I could just hang up on him when I got tired of talking to him so I said sure.  The phone goes "click" and 30 seconds later he is standing outside my door. (always left my door open)

He and some other nutball come into the room, hand me some crap, and start asking me about my relationship with Christ.  There are no less than 5 Playboys and other trash scattered about the room.  About every 10 minutes they asked me to repeat a prayer. Something about letting Jesus into my life.  Every time I completed the prayer they would ask... "Did you feel it?  Did you feel Christ enter your life?"

It took me at least a half hour to get them out of my room.  I have been worshipping Satan ever since.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
Holy crap.  That is insane.  Did they have one of the first ever cell phones or something?