Author Topic: How do we fix our rushing problems?  (Read 3307 times)

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
How do we fix our rushing problems?
« on: November 21, 2014, 06:54:39 AM »
Recruit better players?  I'm at a loss here.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: How do we fix our rushing problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:21:18 AM »
Have Waters throw for 400. :dunno:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:33:11 AM »
They did sell out against the running game.   But it isn't helped by the fact that:  1.  We have the exact oppossite of Optimus Klein at QB in terms of physicality.   2.  I've seen blocks of ice with more churn and elasticity than our RB's possess.  3.  Our O-Line really isn't very athletic. 

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 07:37:01 AM »
It looks like we have a zone running game.  It looks like crap when there are more people in the box than blockers and on top of that, the team blitzes into the play.  That or our line, running backs, and qb suck at running. Someone with hfbiq back me here. 

catzacker

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 07:51:13 AM »
1 – QB run game.  We simply can’t run the style of offense we want to run and have the QB’s ability to run the football removed from that equation.  Last night, our zone read run game would have been extremely effective if Jake would have pulled the ball and taken it himself.  They sold out on our RB’s because they didn’t respect Jake’s ability to run the football (obviously, a correct assumption).  I think the QB run game has a trickle-down effect to the rest of our run game, and certainly opens up more of a passing attack.  But when it’s jake that is trickling down his leg, then it becomes problematic.

2 – RB’s. As untalented of a bunch as we’ve had in a while.  Robinson has no speed nor does he have the quicks/feet to make up for it, Jones moves his arms and legs real fast but his body doesn’t move fast.  Neither have any real power at all.

3 – OL.  I think they have actually done a good job at pass protection this year, but other than a few wrinkles in OL splits, I don’t think they’ve been able to make much of a difference, however I do think they have done an adequate job in the run game, but our RB’s lack of ability doesn’t help them out any.

….so basically, personnel.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 08:03:29 AM »
I distinctly remember a play in the TCU game where the backside DE was able to cross his blockers face, come down the line and tackle the RB for a 1 yd loss.  There are alot of issues manifested in this one play and we have not fixed any of them.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 08:04:21 AM »
It looks like we have a zone running game.  It looks like crap when there are more people in the box than blockers and on top of that, the team blitzes into the play.  That or our line, running backs, and qb suck at running. Someone with hfbiq back me here.

I think this is a bigger part of it than people will admit. There is a reason we had 400 yards passing.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
29 rushes for one yard.  I mean, that's crazy.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 08:36:29 AM »
I don't understand why everyone is so surprised. This same bullshit happened when ck got skettibrained and we started babying our play calls for him. The staff is terrified of letting Jake run and Jake is scared of running himself.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 08:51:15 AM »
Wait, so where's all the cat fans piling on me back at the start of the season when I said Jones seemed pretty meh but everyone thought he was stud?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »
I mean, I wouldn't usually celebrate a guy being meh, but there were a lot of weirdo's getting super excited about a guy that appeared to be very average physically.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:59 AM »
Run the wildcat with Hubener.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 08:57:15 AM »
LFBIQ, all I can say is that it was the worst rushing effort I've ever seen in a football game at any level, down to 3rd grade football.  It's so bad, it has to be scheme, personnel, timing...everything. 

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 09:00:28 AM »
Of all the things that could've been attempted to jumpstart the running game last night, having Jack Walters running the option a half dozen times was the furthest thing I'd have considered.

:facepalm:
bears are fast...

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
Of all the things that could've been attempted to jumpstart the running game last night, having Jack Walters running the option a half dozen times was the furthest thing I'd have considered.

The option from the 2 yd line or so was very craptastic.  I think my exact words to Gooch were, "Why the eff do they have him running the option?".
@mikec2w

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
How do we get better players?

catzacker

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »
Both options we ran at or near the goal line, were actually “good” play calls, imo.  The first option would have been successful if Jake pitched it to Robinson correctly instead of pitching it to the 20 yard line – there was nobody outside to get Robinson once he got the ball.  And the second option, if Jake pitches it to Robinson (Or was it Jones?), he walks into the end zone.  WVU was bringing their safeties up off the edge, we ran the option right into their blitz and Jake just didn’t execute it. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
I love the option and am fine with jake running it as long as he chooses a different option that he has lately.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 09:48:21 AM »
Fire everyone.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 10:01:24 AM »
Wait, so where's all the cat fans piling on me back at the start of the season when I said Jones seemed pretty meh but everyone thought he was stud?

That definitely did not happen, sorry bud.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 10:08:36 AM »
i just want golden goalposts, don't care if we ever run the ball again

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 10:15:54 AM »
1 – QB run game.  We simply can’t run the style of offense we want to run and have the QB’s ability to run the football removed from that equation.  Last night, our zone read run game would have been extremely effective if Jake would have pulled the ball and taken it himself.  They sold out on our RB’s because they didn’t respect Jake’s ability to run the football (obviously, a correct assumption).  I think the QB run game has a trickle-down effect to the rest of our run game, and certainly opens up more of a passing attack.  But when it’s jake that is trickling down his leg, then it becomes problematic.

2 – RB’s. As untalented of a bunch as we’ve had in a while.  Robinson has no speed nor does he have the quicks/feet to make up for it, Jones moves his arms and legs real fast but his body doesn’t move fast.  Neither have any real power at all.

3 – OL.  I think they have actually done a good job at pass protection this year, but other than a few wrinkles in OL splits, I don’t think they’ve been able to make much of a difference, however I do think they have done an adequate job in the run game, but our RB’s lack of ability doesn’t help them out any.

….so basically, personnel.

This summarizes things well.

Yes, I have no idea why we continue to run speed option. He has been decent at zone read, though clearly last night he wasn't comfortable keeping the football or WVU was doing something to mess up his reads.

Still, I have to give credit for this staff finding ways to use the passing game to both move the football and use up time. In the 2nd half after we started with a 3 and out, we had effective drives the rest of the game, we just didn't finish when we got inside the 20. Even if we just finish 2 of those drives inside the 20 with TDs, we all probably feel a lot better about last night. Still, I'll take a road win at a place that has been tough to win at this year thanks to great defense, solid special teams, a good passing attack, and taking advantage of West Virginia mistakes. 8-2, 6-1 still feels pretty good to me even if we won ugly.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 10:23:50 AM »

That definitely did not happen, sorry bud.

yes it did dork

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »
In the pregame Stan and Wyatt were talking about how WVU disguises its defense and relies on trickery. Perhaps they just did something so confusing Jake couldn't read it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »
If they were so good at confusing jake, why did he bomb their asses off in the air?