Author Topic: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.  (Read 302609 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Nebraska's struggle for relevance.
« Reply #2225 on: September 13, 2022, 10:06:33 AM »
I know football coaches are a different breed, but if I were in Frost's shoes, I'd be done with football. 15 million bucks, and he's still a young guy. Take the money and do something more meaningful with your life.
Yeah but I think that applies to most people in leadership jobs that pay several million per year. Their work is their life.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.
« Reply #2226 on: September 13, 2022, 10:19:05 AM »
I know football coaches are a different breed, but if I were in Frost's shoes, I'd be done with football. 15 million bucks, and he's still a young guy. Take the money and do something more meaningful with your life.
Yeah but I think that applies to most people in leadership jobs that pay several million per year. Their work is their life.
This. Plus, he’s been making $5 million per year for the last five years. He’ll burn through that 15 million in three years. Probably been living paycheck to paycheck, poor slob.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: September 13, 2022, 10:28:36 AM »
Wonder what they agreed on for that extra $7.5m. “We’ll give you $500k of it if we fire you now instead of in a month” would be my guess. He’d be dumb not to take it and they’d be dumb not to pay that amount. Obviously aren’t paying that $7.5m full amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They can just not pay it?
If both parties to the contract agree to other terms, absolutely,

why would he not want NU to pay him $15M?

The assumption was that NU wouldn't be stupid enough to pay him $15 million and would wait 2 weeks so they would only have to pay him $7.5 million, but might be willing to pay him $8 million if he would agree to be fired early. But it really looks like Nebraska actually was dumb enough to pay him $15 million.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: September 13, 2022, 10:34:39 AM »
I'm pretty sure the AD confirmed they're paying the full $15m to not have to look at his stupid face for 2 weeks.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: September 13, 2022, 11:26:20 AM »
Wonder what they agreed on for that extra $7.5m. “We’ll give you $500k of it if we fire you now instead of in a month” would be my guess. He’d be dumb not to take it and they’d be dumb not to pay that amount. Obviously aren’t paying that $7.5m full amount.

The assumption was that NU wouldn't be stupid enough to pay him $15 million and would wait 2 weeks so they would only have to pay him $7.5 million, but might be willing to pay him $8 million if he would agree to be fired early. But it really looks like Nebraska actually was dumb enough to pay him $15 million.

why would he agree to be fired early and lose $7.5M? why would he not say if you want to fire me early you have to follow our agreed upon contractual buyout?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: September 13, 2022, 11:36:18 AM »

why would he agree to be fired early and lose $7.5M? why would he not say if you want to fire me early you have to follow our agreed upon contractual buyout?

Because he would get fired in 2 weeks and lose $7.5M. There shouldn't have been any realistic scenario where he would be able to keep that additional $7.5M, so a reduced offer would have been a good deal for him. Trev Alberts appears to have been dumb enough to not realize any of that, though.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: September 13, 2022, 12:07:12 PM »
Trev Alberts was not calling the shots on this. People don’t understand the ego of the Nebraska donor base and how much they control Nebraska athletics. $7.5 million was nothing to them. Their need to show the college football world that they would not let $7.5 million stand in the way of ending the embarrassment of having a Scott Frost on the sideline was more important than $7.5 million.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: September 13, 2022, 12:11:40 PM »
I would like a "we went searching for the best and came back with Charlie Weis" moment
Can't wait.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: September 13, 2022, 12:16:57 PM »
lol Tom Osborn said that the reason Scott frost was not successful was because of the lack of talent at Nebraska when he arrived in 2018 and Covid in 2020. Coach Kleiman says hello

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: September 13, 2022, 01:07:51 PM »
Gosh, I guess they should consider rehiring Scott.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: September 13, 2022, 01:13:29 PM »
Trev Alberts was not calling the shots on this. People don’t understand the ego of the Nebraska donor base and how much they control Nebraska athletics. $7.5 million was nothing to them. Their need to show the college football world that they would not let $7.5 million stand in the way of ending the embarrassment of having a Scott Frost on the sideline was more important than $7.5 million.

Sure, but when the next coach isn't immediately successful, those same donors will be pissed off at Trev and use this for ammo. A better athletic director would have been strong enough to hold firm for two more weeks, or at least tried to negotiate down because Frost would have been insane to turn down a reduced buyout.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: September 13, 2022, 01:20:25 PM »

Because he would get fired in 2 weeks and lose $7.5M. There shouldn't have been any realistic scenario where he would be able to keep that additional $7.5M, so a reduced offer would have been a good deal for him. Trev Alberts appears to have been dumb enough to not realize any of that, though.
Maybe he told them to F off and either pay him, or let him coach vs OU

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: September 13, 2022, 01:30:57 PM »
Sure, and if that happened, then they should have let him coach against OU. The program will not be any better for having 2 more weeks of Mickey Joseph.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: September 13, 2022, 03:36:05 PM »

Here is the problem with this whole line of thought. As soon as Nubb says hey we would like to fire you earlier for less money or we are just going to wait two weeks they have already fired him and owe him the full $15. Contacts don't work the way you think they do.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: September 14, 2022, 08:39:05 AM »

Here is the problem with this whole line of thought. As soon as Nubb says hey we would like to fire you earlier for less money or we are just going to wait two weeks they have already fired him and owe him the full $15. Contacts don't work the way you think they do.

What if instead of saying "hey, we're firing you in 2 weeks" you offer him a new contract, no pressure to sign, guaranteed 1 year, $8.5 million, no buyout?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: September 14, 2022, 01:58:28 PM »
fanfic

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: September 16, 2022, 08:23:06 AM »
It looks like Frost got canned for mor than losing games - he apparently took the Turner Gill relaxed approach to coaching.  So bad assistants were going to the AD to ask for help.

https://huskercorner.com/2022/09/14/nebraska-football-accusations-scott-frost/

It appears he also succumbed to the sweet fruit of big donors wives, but that's just rumor.

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: September 16, 2022, 08:27:27 AM »
It looks like Frost got canned for mor than losing games - he apparently took the Turner Gill relaxed approach to coaching.  So bad assistants were going to the AD to ask for help.

It appears he also succumbed to the sweet fruit of big donors wives, but that's just rumor.

If any of that is true, why the hell didn't he get fired in the offseason? Buncha idiots up there
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: September 16, 2022, 08:42:17 AM »
I just hope one of the Husker boards gets the scoop on the Scott Frost love sweepstakes at some point.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: September 16, 2022, 08:44:20 AM »
Wasn't Bo's brother banging a donor wife?

What kind of Ron Princian super orgy they running up there in Cornhole?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: September 16, 2022, 09:13:37 AM »

I read that and chalked it up to the normal made up rumor bullshit that happens whenever a coach is fired. Fan bases just can't ever chalk this stuff up to simply their teams sucking crap.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: September 16, 2022, 09:17:35 AM »
Yea I believe basically nothing from husker fans or husker media
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: September 16, 2022, 10:53:55 AM »
He did have some personal issues and stuff going on. I’d say a bit more than your average coach but nothing earth shattering. Good move not believing Husker fans or media though.