Author Topic: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.  (Read 299575 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.
« Reply #827 on: September 27, 2016, 06:18:45 PM »
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/nebraska-football-national-anthem-kneel-michael-rose-ivey/ua6ko8bva7ko1ku16hfpgciuu

I'm guessing this is the story he posted. Read about it this morning.

I have still been referred to on Facebook and Twitter as a clueless confused n---er, by former high school classmates, friends peers and even Husker fans. Some believe DaiShon (Neal), Mohamed (Barry) and myself should be kicked off the team or suspended, while some said we deserved to be lynched or shot just like the other black people that have died recently. Another believed that since we didn’t want to stand for the anthem we should be hung before the anthem for the next game.

These are actual statements we received from fans.

People assume this is just internet talk, but I can tell you from my own experience, at this very institution, and visiting other college campuses within he past few years that racism is still a problem that must be addressed. I can’t tell you the numerous amount of times I’ve heard the n-word being shouted to my teammates and I by opposing fans behind our bench.

Looking at MIR's link it looks like the BOR is stepping in which I wasn't aware of before.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 27, 2016, 06:19:21 PM »
The three players who chose to kneel during the national anthem ahead of last Saturday’s Husker football game demonstrated “poor judgment” and offensive behavior, one member of the University of Nebraska Board of Regents said.

Regent Hal Daub of Omaha, who served two years in Korea during the Vietnam War-era, and a former Omaha mayor, said in an interview that student-athletes at NU “are not supposed to do things that create disparagement or negative implications.”

“It’s a free country,” Daub told the Journal Star on Tuesday. “They don’t have to play football for the university either.

"They know better, and they had better be kicked off the team," he added. "They won’t take the risk to exhibit their free speech in a way that places their circumstance in jeopardy, so let them get out of uniform and do their protesting on somebody else’s nickel."

Daub continued: “Those publicity seeking athletes ought to rethink the forum in which they chose to issue their personal views at the expense of everyone else."

Huskers Michael Rose-Ivey, DaiShon Neal and Mohamed Barry elected to kneel during the national anthem on Saturday, a form of peaceful protest started by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick in August.

Opinions have been expressed from many corners, including Gov. Pete Ricketts, who during his statewide radio call-in show told a caller that the anthem protest was "disgraceful and disrespectful" to men and women who have sacrificed for the country, but that he "respect(s) the right of those players to protest."

During that radio show, a caller suggested the players involved should lose their scholarships. "Kick them off campus," the caller said.

Daub said he's heard similar comments from constituents.

“My phone and email inbox are full of highly critical commentary," he said. "I find their copycat conduct -- which is what I call it -- offensive. I’m personally offended.”

Another regent, Rob Schafer of Beatrice, said as a current lieutenant colonel in the Nebraska Air National Guard with more than 31 years of military experience, he is “honored and privileged to be able to protect the very freedoms that these Nebraska football players have chosen to exercise.”

But, in a statement to the Journal Star on Monday night, Schafer said, “University of Nebraska athletics is a unifying source of pride for our state that should not be used as a forum for political or social debate."

“I do not support the venue these student-athletes chose to express their political or social viewpoint.”

Husker athletes have “a tremendous opportunity and responsibility” to represent the university both on and off the playing field, he added, and if compelled to express a political or social viewpoint, Schafer said he encourages them to find a venue outside of the team to do so.

Regent Jim Pillen of Columbus agreed with Schafer, saying while he supports the student-athletes' cause and encourages all students to become engaged in issues locally as well as globally, he questions using the team as a platform of protest.

"I believe in team above everything," Pillen said. "I don't think any of those student-athletes would want me to represent them on the Board of Regents if I took my personal agenda to the table."

On Monday, Rose-Ivey spoke at a team news conference about the decision to kneel ahead of the game on Saturday at Northwestern University, saying he and his teammates chose to pray for their country while the national anthem was performed.

The Husker linebacker from Kansas City, Missouri, said the decision to kneel was to bring attention to the “policies and laws that discriminate and hinder the growth and opportunity of people of color, low income people, women and other marginalized communities.”

“To make it clear, I am not anti-police, I’m not anti-military, nor am I anti-American,” he added. “I love my country deeply.”

Rose-Ivey said he chose to kneel to "make the world a better place for the next generation."

Daub, who spoke by phone Tuesday, indicated he has spoken with university leaders on the matter, but did not indicate with whom he has spoken or the nature of the conversation, saying only: “Time will tell.”

"I am going to be wary of their future conduct," he said.

Asked if the university runs the risk of violating the student-athlete's rights guaranteed by the First Amendment if any rules are enacted, Daub reiterated that Husker athletes should not express political opinions while in uniform.

"Anything you do with respect to the First Amendment, you run a risk," Daub said. "Right or wrong, you can hide behind the First Amendment all day long."

A longstanding policy of the Board of Regents that has existed for a half century addresses demonstrations, stating: "The public exploration and resolution of differing views can be successful only when groups and individuals discuss the issues in forms where the right to disagree, speak freely, and be heard is preserved."

"Within this context, the University community recognizes peaceful demonstrations as a legitimate means of expressing one's opinion."

In his statement, Schafer referred to comments made by former President George W. Bush last weekend at the opening of the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C., who said “the journey toward justice is still not complete.”

“Many African-Americans believe the justice system is tilted against them, and too many Americans of every skin color are victims of violence,” Schafer said. “These are real issues that cannot be ignored and should be addressed through conversations and positive actions in our homes, in our schools, in our communities, and across our states and nation.

“A starting point is to initiate dialogues regarding our differences and to instill in our young people respect for all life.”

Pillen said he doesn't support penalizing players or any university employees over the actions during last Saturday's game.

"I support these kids for having beliefs and convictions and I admire they have the courage to stand up for what they believe in," he said. "I'm just not a supporter of the venue."

UNL last year began addressing several issues surrounding diversity training for students, faculty and staff, and Chancellor Ronnie Green said at his state of the university address last week that early next year the university will take part in a “diversity mapping” led by a consulting firm.

Green declined to address the matter Monday, communications director Theresa Paulsen said, but did support the athletics staff.

NU President Hank Bounds, himself a former National Guardsman of the Year in Mississippi, said on Tuesday the idea of academic freedom at a university extends to the playing field as well.

The university would not stop students who pause to pray before the game or after a big play, he said. Nor would student-athletes be stopped from sharing a controversial opinion in class.

"I have a deep love of this country and a love of the flag, and I certainly recognize freedom isn't free," he said. "Nebraskans have expressed their opinions on the actions -- some were supportive, some disagree and some passionately disagree."

Since Saturday, Bounds said he has received no more than 10 emails about Rose-Ivey and others' actions. He said he has spoken with Green about the issue and had a short conversation with Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst.

Bounds said he "completely opposes" imposing any actions against the players or changing any policies that would restrict their ability to express themselves.

"They are all free to state their opinion and that's what is really great about living in the greatest country in the world. The same freedoms that protect our speech protect students' speech."

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 27, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
That's probably mild vs what would come out from political leaders and regents in this state. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Nebraska's struggle for relevance.
« Reply #830 on: September 27, 2016, 08:35:17 PM »
Didn't we have players Neal this week?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 27, 2016, 08:37:35 PM »
No. We don't have players on the field during the anthem.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #832 on: September 27, 2016, 08:39:01 PM »
Our players aren't fucktards, teve ave
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

The Big Train

« Reply #833 on: September 27, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »
Didn't we have players Neal this week?

:D

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 27, 2016, 08:59:08 PM »

The Big Train

« Reply #835 on: September 27, 2016, 08:59:33 PM »
:frown:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 27, 2016, 09:08:15 PM »
Guys who served in the military aren't able to fathom not standing up for the anthem/flag. You have to just accept that their view of what it means is different than civilians. Even if its not about military, to them its about military. Gotta give those old vets grace on these things.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 27, 2016, 09:13:55 PM »
People in the reserves(like that lt. colonel in the guard) who are out of uniform are required to stand and place their hand over their heart.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 27, 2016, 09:18:09 PM »
Guys who served in the military aren't able to fathom not standing up for the anthem/flag. You have to just accept that their view of what it means is different than civilians. Even if its not about military, to them its about military. Gotta give those old vets grace on these things.

just a couple of vets that want to hang a few clueless confused niggers before the anthem

no biggie
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 27, 2016, 09:19:15 PM »
I'm referring more to the regents guy lib. I have no idea who made those other threats.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: September 27, 2016, 09:28:02 PM »
ok, i misunderstood you :(

even still, grace can be given to angry people because for the most part they are not of consequence, but when someone starts trying to kick people off football teams, or out of school i don't think they deserve it anymore.  be all  :curse:  all you want, but don't start taking steps to negatively influence the life of someone who has a different opinion, especially if you're a person that supposedly fought for the freedom to have that opinion.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 27, 2016, 09:32:28 PM »
ok, i misunderstood you :(

even still, grace can be given to angry people because for the most part they are not of consequence, but when someone starts trying to kick people off football teams, or out of school i don't think they deserve it anymore.  be all  :curse:  all you want, but don't start taking steps to negatively influence the life of someone who has a different opinion, especially if you're a person that supposedly fought for the freedom to have that opinion.

Unless, of course, they say or do something you don't like, then they must be expelled and black listed.  #stfu

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 27, 2016, 09:35:45 PM »
no, i don't agree with that at all fsd, but you have the right to that wrong opinion bud

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 27, 2016, 09:36:17 PM »
IMO any football player who is not beating/sexually assaulting women, taking drugs, and is a good student and citizen should be given the platform to make any and all political statements they want. I would love it if that kid was a KSU Cat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 28, 2016, 08:57:37 AM »
no, i don't agree with that at all fsd, but you have the right to that wrong opinion bud

Yea you do. You just aren't intelligent enough to recognize it.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 28, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »

just a couple of vets that want to hang a few clueless confused niggers before the anthem

no biggie

:sdeek:

Since post appeared to be in parody, I'll skip the  :opcat:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 28, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »
it always seems like the biggest blowhards are the ones who escaped combat duty but like to talk up their service.  TWO YEARS IN KOREA.......(during the Vietnam war era)!!!!!!!
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 28, 2016, 05:17:53 PM »
it always seems like the biggest blowhards are the ones who escaped combat duty but like to talk up their service.  TWO YEARS IN KOREA.......(during the Vietnam war era)!!!!!!!
Is that a summary of your service.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #848 on: September 28, 2016, 08:58:40 PM »
So, Mohammed Barry can transfer here and finally be a cat!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 28, 2016, 10:20:54 PM »