Author Topic: ESPN Gameday - K-State @ TCU  (Read 14816 times)

Offline cvmcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: ESPN Gameday - K-State @ TCU
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »
I understand the game was in Norman last week, but when they finally covered our game, they just soomed in on a bunch of Sooners and talked about them. They serve to the big names these days and it's not as fun anymore. They've taken 4 trips to Sec country, 1 to Stanford-michigan st., and have been to two Florida State games this year. The SEC contract mumped that show and took all the fun out of gameday.

Well, they did waste a whole day in Fargo.   :rolleyes:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »
friend at ESPN said there are a lot of pissed off peeps within their org because this game isn't in MHK. said they'll probably go SEC because of it*, but there's still a chance.

*Especially if LSU beats Ole Miss this weekend.

I don't think TCU has enough fans to make it worthwhile for Gameday to go there. The only redeeming quality that Gameday has left are the thousands of fans that hold up all kinds of creative signs. That doesn't sound like something TCU fans would be good at.

Gameday has been to Ft. Worth since they've been to Manhattan. They were there in 2009, week 1 this year, and they will be there for the national championship game. They've been pretty vocal about how much they like doing the show from Sundance Square.

wait, the Gameday crew complimented the town that just hosted them?  Seems strange, link?

That wasn't the context of the comments of why they are happy with Ft. Worth at all, do you think I am a rough ridin' moron?

http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2014/07/sundance-square-familiar-turf-for-college-gameday-this-season/
http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/07/29/6004731/espn-bringing-college-gameday.html

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »
why do we care if gameday is at our game when we are on the road?

i only care about gameday being in manhattan. otherwise its just something going on...

and dont give me the national media attention bullshit.

im fine with letting ESPN suck off the SEC while we win another big 12 trophy.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
the amount of ESPN and SEC butthurt is making us look very small time guys. rein it in.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

10 SEC teams in the top 30 including a team with a 16 game conference losing streak in the top 20, yeah nothing to see here

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
no one is trying to justify what ESPN and the SEC have going on. i think steve is just trying to say who cares...

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2014, 12:27:50 PM »
Does anyone else feel bad for lee corso?  I mean he's totally lost it and they're still parading him out there to get laughed at every week.  Half the time he says something he thinks is serious and everyone starts laughing so he starts laughing just to save face.
Very sad and uncomfortable. I don't like watching the show anymore.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
Sometimes Corso says "not so fast" and then agrees with the person's pick.   :frown:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
I don't watch often because it's on very very early in the morning, but the times I do catch it I feel really bad for Lee
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »
the amount of ESPN and SEC butthurt is making us look very small time guys. rein it in.

10 SEC teams in the top 30 including a team with a 16 game conference losing streak in the top 20, yeah nothing to see here

Massey has 9 in the top 30: http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf&sub=FBS
Sagarin has 10, with Arkansas at 32 and SC at 33: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

They legitimately have a lot of good teams.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »
no one is trying to justify what ESPN and the SEC have going on. i think steve is just trying to say who cares...
You should care because espn wields more influence over perception in sports than any other entity. In a sport like cfb where it's still a beauty contest, that has major implications. I'm not burning a church down over it but you're burying your head in the sand if you think it doesn't matter.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »

I have no idea what steve dave is trying to say. As a college football fan I care. The bias hasn't hurt K-State to this point and it likely won't but the bias absolutely exists, it isn't a conspiracy but there are layers of bias that are there.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »
You should care because espn wields more influence over perception in sports than any other entity. In a sport like cfb where it's still a beauty contest, that has major implications. I'm not burning a church down over it but you're burying your head in the sand if you think it doesn't matter.

never said it doesnt matter. sure, it matters to an extent, but not nearly as much as winning does. im just saying who cares if theyre all over the SEC in week 8. ill be mad if we get screwed out of the college playoff after going 11-1. otherwise, like i said earlier, i wont care.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2014, 12:51:14 PM »

never said it doesnt matter. sure, it matters to an extent, but not nearly as much as winning does. im just saying who cares if theyre all over the SEC in week 8. ill be mad if we get screwed out of the college playoff after going 11-1. otherwise, like i said earlier, i wont care.
Fair enough. For me if they just go to eight teams with conference champs as auto bids, I won't care. There's a predefined path so if you didn't make it, and don't get selected as an at large, it's your fault for not winning the games.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2014, 12:52:47 PM »
The SEC has won 7 of the last 8 NC's. How many of those were due to bias?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2014, 12:55:21 PM »

Fair enough. For me if they just go to eight teams with conference champs as auto bids, I won't care. There's a predefined path so if you didn't make it, and don't get selected as an at large, it's your fault for not winning the games.

ok well are you mad that the system isnt perfect or that ESPN has a boner for the SEC? it sounds like you just want something to complain about, which is small timey... which is what started all of this.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2014, 12:56:18 PM »
The sec has been, and probably is now the best conference depending on what metrics are important to you. To me they are the best. I don't know that I'd say 4 of the top 5 are all in the same division. And they came get the eff outta here ranking aTm and lsu.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:00:10 PM by KITNfury »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2014, 01:02:59 PM »

Massey has 9 in the top 30: http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf&sub=FBS
Sagarin has 10, with Arkansas at 32 and SC at 33: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

They legitimately have a lot of good teams.

I'm guessing their formulas have an element of perception in them, likely as the starting point so these things become self-fulfilling prophesy.

How in the world does Tennessee come in at 30 with their only wins coming against  Utah State (60), Arkansas State (57), and UT Chattanooga (103)? They lost to Florida. Arkansas is at 32 with their wins coming against Tech (73), Northern Illinois (92), and Nichols State (236). There is no way to justify that these teams are 30+ spots better than Iowa State at 66.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
The sec has been, and probably is now the best conference depending on what metrics are important to you. To me they are the best. I don't know that I'd say 4 of the top 5 are all in the same division. And they came get the eff outta here ranking aTm and lsu.

Just about every non-ESPN-affiliated computer rating has 4 of the top 5 from the SEC West (today):

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Football outsiders is an exception, and it has USC at #3:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2014, 01:13:28 PM »

Just about every non-ESPN-affiliated computer rating has 4 of the top 5 from the SEC West (today):

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Football outsiders is an exception, and it has USC at #3:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei

What kind of computer is that, the new BIAS 2.0 or something?  Damnit.  I wish I knew more about computers because it seems like this would lend itself to a pretty good joke.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2014, 01:14:40 PM »

I could make an argument for 2007 and 2011 but yeah they earned the rest of those NC's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »

Well polls were components of the BCS and voters absolutely have biases of all kinds, things like "well the SEC should get the benefit of the doubt since they have won 4,5,6,7 straight national championships."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2014, 01:23:07 PM »

Well polls were components of the BCS and voters absolutely have biases of all kinds, things like "well the SEC should get the benefit of the doubt since they have won 4,5,6,7 straight national championships."

I guess the SEC v. SEC one could have been biased but then it would still have been LSU at #1 playing whoever the next team was. Other than that they beat the B12 champ twice, B10 champ twice, Pac10 champ once and an undefeated ND team after we crap the bed against baylor. they also beat the b12 in all of our head to head matchups this year so that sucks for us. I wish they weren't the best conference but I think they are. and I'm really good at differentiating between what I want and what I think. it's one of my best things.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »
friend at ESPN said there are a lot of pissed off peeps within their org because this game isn't in MHK. said they'll probably go SEC because of it*, but there's still a chance.

*Especially if LSU beats Ole Miss this weekend.

I don't think TCU has enough fans to make it worthwhile for Gameday to go there. The only redeeming quality that Gameday has left are the thousands of fans that hold up all kinds of creative signs. That doesn't sound like something TCU fans would be good at.

Gameday has been to Ft. Worth since they've been to Manhattan. They were there in 2009, week 1 this year, and they will be there for the national championship game. They've been pretty vocal about how much they like doing the show from Sundance Square.

wait, the Gameday crew complimented the town that just hosted them?  Seems strange, link?

That wasn't the context of the comments of why they are happy with Ft. Worth at all, do you think I am a rough ridin' moron?

http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2014/07/sundance-square-familiar-turf-for-college-gameday-this-season/
http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/07/29/6004731/espn-bringing-college-gameday.html

Just foolin!  How awesome is Eichel btw?!

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2014, 01:43:43 PM »

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »

I guess the SEC v. SEC one could have been biased but then it would still have been LSU at #1 playing whoever the next team was. Other than that they beat the B12 champ twice, B10 champ twice, Pac10 champ once and an undefeated ND team after we crap the bed against baylor. they also beat the b12 in all of our head to head matchups this year so that sucks for us. I wish they weren't the best conference but I think they are. and I'm really good at differentiating between what I want and what I think. it's one of my best things.
I don't disagree but do you honestly believe 4 of the top five teams in the country all reside in the sec west? What about LSU?