Author Topic: Software thread(computer related)  (Read 64681 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Software thread(computer related)
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2015, 08:56:28 AM »
Guys, the cloud man, it's not that great.  Why do people think it's great?

You know what it gives you?  Less self determination on when to adopt updates, less (zero) customizations, and lifetime commitment to license fees with your provider and a complete relinquishment of all buyer power against them....and a return to a life of "work arounds" in an ever increasing sea of MS Excel and Access formatting and reformatting to play nice with inflexible Cloud integrations.  Oh, and I forgot to mention an exceptionally more hackable environment.

What do you get?  The ability to simplify the Sys Admin function and cut some FTE's, and the ability to trade down on developer expertise from pricey ERP guys to Excel macro-do-it-yourselfers.

Worth it?

Only if you believe that your business is actually pretty simple and that your competitors (or a software company) can easily replicate your most critical back office business functions and make them repeatable for other businesses that have no font office functions in common with yours. 

If you think your back office is no better/different than anyone else, and you want to fire IT guys, and commit now to a realistically irrevocable cost stream to your software company, then warm up the cloud mother fuckers.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
I don't have any buzzwords for the cloud. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2015, 10:37:05 AM »
eff the cloud
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2015, 01:35:14 PM »
I think web development is pretty great. I just did my senior project with cordova/phonegap to create a ios application. I chose to do it in cordova/phonegap because I'm very familiar with web languages. I used bootstrap with angularjs and html5. It turned out really great and I had fun making it.

I don't understand the hate for web development in this thread.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2015, 01:43:02 PM »
luke WTF are you doing going to KOCH if you love web developing? 

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2015, 01:51:54 PM »
eff the cloud
Hard disks for life. Eff the cloud.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2015, 02:39:14 PM »

You know what it gives you?  Less self determination on when to adopt updates, less (zero) customizations, and lifetime commitment to license fees with your provider and a complete relinquishment of all buyer power against them....and a return to a life of "work arounds" in an ever increasing sea of MS Excel and Access formatting and reformatting to play nice with inflexible Cloud integrations.  Oh, and I forgot to mention an exceptionally more hackable environment.

What do you get?  The ability to simplify the Sys Admin function and cut some FTE's, and the ability to trade down on developer expertise from pricey ERP guys to Excel macro-do-it-yourselfers.

Worth it?

Only if you believe that your business is actually pretty simple and that your competitors (or a software company) can easily replicate your most critical back office business functions and make them repeatable for other businesses that have no font office functions in common with yours. 

If you think your back office is no better/different than anyone else, and you want to fire IT guys, and commit now to a realistically irrevocable cost stream to your software company, then warm up the cloud mother fuckers.

Every single point in this post is inaccurate.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »
luke WTF are you doing going to KOCH if you love web developing?
Well, I like other stuff besides Web Dev too. Plus, the applications I will be working on are in .NET and they use client side javascript for a lot of their applications.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »
slim, go lift yii sails
play sinatra, spark ember
express cake ninja

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2015, 09:17:29 PM »

Worth it?

Nope.  Also, Says the guy with mumped GL's.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2015, 08:07:10 AM »

Seriously though, Saul, I am curious where you are gathering your information.  Because my conclusions are based on my own eyes and ears when observing these very things at real ERP customers.

I am not talking about trinket software in the cloud or Microsoft Office.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2015, 08:14:25 AM »

Seriously though, Saul, I am curious where you are gathering your information.  Because my conclusions are based on my own eyes and ears when observing these very things at real ERP customers.

I'm more talking about trinket software and Microsoft Office. And even hybrid cloud deployments w/ other functions and workloads moving to the cloud. I don't know of many companies that are the best at what they do because their IT department is awesome.

And customizing and putting off updates is one of the main reasons so many ERP platforms are mumped to begin with.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2015, 08:36:43 AM »

I'm more talking about trinket software and Microsoft Office. And even hybrid cloud deployments w/ other functions and workloads moving to the cloud. I don't know of many companies that are the best at what they do because their IT department is awesome.

And customizing and putting off updates is one of the main reasons so many ERP platforms are mumped to begin with.

OK, that's helpful to know.

For really large companies (I'm talking $Billions in Rev on up), their ERP systems merely reflect the complex requirements of their complex businesses.  Customizing wasn't merely some luxurious half baked idea, it was critical to be able to process their volumes with an acceptable level of accuracy.

I've seen the "work arounds" to avoid customizations at places like this, and they involve about a million spreadsheets and a CFO who has 20 different people yapping at him with 20 different reports who each have a different version of the "truth."

A Cloud based ERP package can work well for a smaller firm, or many professional service companies for example  (law firms, brokerage, consulting) or companies with very sophisticated front office systems that merely need to jam the GL results into the ERP (but then you are just trading one complex system for the other).

There is a hybrid model, where updates are pushed and queued and the customer gets to selectively adopt them when the timing is right for their own internal retrofit, testing and QA work.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Software thread(computer related)
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2015, 08:47:45 AM »
I mean, I say that, but the clear momentum in the market is to cloud.

Software companies are bonusing sales guys 3x to 7x more to sell cloud offerings vs traditional on premise alternatives.  These is because the revenue is stickier, and Wall Street loves it.

I know many companies who opted out of big ERP support years ago, and hired smaller outfits to give them a skeleton support service.  This scares the crap out of big ERP companies.  You can't do that with a cloud package...you stop paying and they shut your access down.

If you want to get into the software biz, my advice would be to either learn to develop on SAP, or be a functional Cloud guy....those will be the best jobs going forward
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 08:56:57 AM by Pete »

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2015, 09:16:16 AM »
I installed wordpress on a website once.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2015, 11:11:06 AM »
Pete knows his crap

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2015, 11:56:51 AM »
OR, hospital EMR systems.  Go take a any job you can get where you learn either Epic or Cerner. 

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »
OR, hospital EMR systems.  Go take a any job you can get where you learn either Epic or Cerner.
One of my friends parents is the head EMR guy at wesley in ICT makes pretty good money.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2015, 10:31:06 PM »
Oh the Cloud...

The Big Train

« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2015, 10:57:15 PM »
been load testing a site i have been working on with this you guys and it works really well

loader.io

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2015, 07:11:00 AM »
been load testing a site i have been working on with this you guys and it works really well

loader.io
Pretty sweet site.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2015, 07:56:43 AM »
Guys.  I was gonna come in here and start buzzwording.sql my ass off.  But truth is I'm a network guy and we only have one stack.   :cry:
Being a network guy is really great huh?

"Hey, is the network having problems?"

"Nope"

:)

Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

The Big Train

« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2015, 12:47:39 PM »
i have always used safari on my phone because I couldn't find any better browser. I found one called Mercury a while back and it was awesome but was kind of buggy and crashes a bunch. they came out with a new update like a week ago and fixed everything, I'm never going back to Safari.

also don't pay for it, the $.99 and free one are the exact same thing I think

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 02, 2015, 12:52:17 PM »
never heard of chrome i guess

The Big Train