Author Topic: Software thread(computer related)  (Read 64159 times)

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
Re: Software thread(computer related)
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2015, 10:48:28 PM »
What do you all think of the apple watch? Personally i think it will gain more ground than it's android counter parts. I know that it's a piece of hardware but what do y'all think?
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2015, 10:52:01 PM »
The problem with UDP jokes: I don’t get half of them.

I could tell you a joke about UDP, but you wouldn't get it!
:lol: ... Q: are there any good TCP jokes?
A: Yeah, they are all pretty reliable.  :fatty:
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2015, 10:53:33 PM »
If I got one of these intel windows 8.1 sticks would it be a POS?  I want to use my TV as a second desktop.
You PC or mac?
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

The Big Train

« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »
If I got one of these intel windows 8.1 sticks would it be a POS?  I want to use my TV as a second desktop.
I hadn't heard of these until now. I would assume that it works like the Chromecast and if it does, then don't do it. I don't think that type of wireless technology is up to par yet and you could have a bunch of performance issues. I have a Chromecast and it is near impossible to stream games from my laptop.

It's essentially the guts of a computer in something the size of a flash drive that uses what you plug it into as a monitor.  I don't think it will be streaming anything but would use wifi to connect to Internet i guess.  I currently use my chrome cast with an android tablet with Bluetooth mouse and keyboard right now but it's kind of weird. 

what are you wanting to use it for?  looking at the specs it's a POS, but I guess if all you want to do is bbs it would be ok.  if you want to run any type of windows 8 application I would just buy a long hdmi cable and just hook up your laptop to your tv.

The Big Train

« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2015, 06:49:32 PM »
What do you all think of the apple watch? Personally i think it will gain more ground than it's android counter parts. I know that it's a piece of hardware but what do y'all think?

that market is crap right now, so I have no doubt it will do better, unless the price is too high(it is). my questions is why buy it?  what does it do that my iPhone doesn't already do better, oh and you have to have an iPhone already to even use the thing. I mean it's a cool idea but for practicality sake, no thanks.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2015, 06:49:46 PM »
thanks i figured as much.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2015, 09:34:33 PM »
ww - i'm looking into it as well. it's competitively priced and i think it could be a great media center (if nothing else). Yes, its way more than a chromecast or even an apple tv, but those are a different market. I don't personally believe its stats are crap - no, you wont be able to play counterstrike or use solidworks on it, but it can still do great things with a quad core and 2g of ram, and 32g of storage..expandable up to 128 i think. it also has bluetooth in it, so again, good for media. I could probably get by doing my morning routine on it. It'll probably flop in consumer markets but i could see it doing amazingly in corporate markets. companies will eat this up for conference rooms or shared space/meeting rooms, etc.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2015, 09:38:15 PM »

that market is crap right now, so I have no doubt it will do better, unless the price is too high(it is). my questions is why buy it?  what does it do that my iPhone doesn't already do better, oh and you have to have an iPhone already to even use the thing. I mean it's a cool idea but for practicality sake, no thanks.
Yeah i don't own an iphone. But some of the features could be useful. They could go alot of different ways.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »

i have a samsung gear 2 neo, and i love it. for one, I can't wear like 99% of other watches because i'm allergic to metal, so this works great. second, it tracks heart rate during running/biking/hiking. Its also nice while biking/on motorcycle to use. i have my phone in my pocket or in my backpack, and i can check my messages on it at stoplights/when i pull over, i can control music thats playing in my helmet or headphones, etc. its also fun to use at bars and turn off TV's when KU fans are watching big 12 tourney in aggieville  :fatty:

I'm sure apple's watch will still kill it (compared to other wearables now) as they have such a cult following. I think the wearables market has a ways to go, but again, my watch is great and i use it all the time.

The Big Train

« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2015, 09:39:54 PM »
ww - i'm looking into it as well. it's competitively priced and i think it could be a great media center (if nothing else). Yes, its way more than a chromecast or even an apple tv, but those are a different market. I don't personally believe its stats are crap - no, you wont be able to play counterstrike or use solidworks on it, but it can still do great things with a quad core and 2g of ram, and 32g of storage..expandable up to 128 i think. it also has bluetooth in it, so again, good for media. I could probably get by doing my morning routine on it. It'll probably flop in consumer markets but i could see it doing amazingly in corporate markets. companies will eat this up for conference rooms or shared space/meeting rooms, etc.

most corporate setups have a VGA/HDMI/MiniDisplayport setup in their conference rooms for laptops/ipads/iphones and some even android.  this is an honest question but why buy a $150 stick that needs a keyboard and a mouse for a corporate office when everyone already has everything loaded on their ipads and stuff?  seems like a huge waste of money over $30 in adapters for much better devices.

The Big Train

« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2015, 11:00:23 PM »
found this guy on youtube about a week ago and he has some fantastic tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwRXb5dUK4cvsHbx-rGzSgw

The Big Train

« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2015, 09:41:15 PM »
how many of you guys have used bootstrap before?  im about to dive face first into it and wondering if there is anything i should know that is a must know early on.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2015, 09:59:55 PM »
i use it some, no real advice.  more just out of laziness because i can't be bothered to keep up with the design aspect of the web.  just a curiosity thing?

The Big Train

« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2015, 10:11:29 PM »
we are redesigning some stuff at work and with the mobile trend i want to learn it. i also have seen some things designed with it in a relatively short period of time, so i am also curious about it.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »
I need 27" monitors.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2015, 10:19:37 PM »
how many

The Big Train

« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2015, 10:20:35 PM »
if saul doesnt just say 'virus' to everything, this can be the hardware thread too

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:50 PM »
TBT - web development sucks ass and is for chumps, that is what you must know early on.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »
we are redesigning some stuff at work and with the mobile trend i want to learn it. i also have seen some things designed with it in a relatively short period of time, so i am also curious about it.

i hate doing ui/ux stuff and refuse to be curious

The Big Train

« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2015, 10:25:15 PM »
TBT - web development sucks ass and is for chumps, that is what you must know early on.

im guessing you started with cobol and think html is hard

The Big Train

« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2015, 10:27:44 PM »

i hate doing ui/ux stuff and refuse to be curious

i prefer ui/ux over object based stuff

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2015, 11:07:24 PM »
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom