Author Topic: Do we have a "best person in the world" thread? (aka name a con a day)  (Read 4011 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "best person in the world" thread? (aka name a con a day)
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 12:33:20 PM »
So who appointed this election guy?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »
While I agree there is politics being played here . . . but a hearty  :lol:  at those who think candidates should be allowed to withdraw any old time they want.   Way to think it through people.   :lol:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 12:41:58 PM »
Just because the person that answered the phone didn't know the specific statute doesn't excuse him from following the law.

I agree, Mr. Kobach, but there is something to be said for "the person" being the Director of Elections and Legislative Matters.  If there is one guy in the state that should know the process, protocols, and laws regarding elections, it should be this specific person who answered the phone.  So, either the director of the process is completely incompetent, or the statement that there is no political agenda is pretty stupid.

Is it so hard to believe a government employee is incompetent?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 12:45:03 PM »
While I agree there is politics being played here . . . but a hearty  :lol:  at those who think candidates should be allowed to withdraw any old time they want.   Way to think it through people.   :lol:

If someone told you that you have until next Monday to do something, you coordinate with them just how it is to be done, then execute on Monday, would you not agree that timing wasn't an issue?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »
Just because the person that answered the phone didn't know the specific statute doesn't excuse him from following the law.

I agree, Mr. Kobach, but there is something to be said for "the person" being the Director of Elections and Legislative Matters.  If there is one guy in the state that should know the process, protocols, and laws regarding elections, it should be this specific person who answered the phone.  So, either the director of the process is completely incompetent, or the statement that there is no political agenda is pretty stupid.

Is it so hard to believe a government employee is incompetent?

Of course not, however, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Director to be let go, reprimanded, or reassigned anytime soon, even though he just was second to center in a national article about something being mishandled again in our state.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »
There is also a law that states the democrat party still needs to offer up a candidate should Taylor's request be granted, so there will still be a democrat on the ballot to draw the large uninformed vote.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
I read an article and I'm not sure it was completely clear.  I am curious as to this whole thing.  If someone could see if my take is roughly accurate without partisan bullshit, I would appreciate it.

Taylor wants out so his votes will likely go to an Independent (non-tea party) candidate.  Kobach wants him on the ballot so that anti-Roberts votes will be split and Roberts is more likely to retain his seat.  Also, who is this independent and why do they have a realistic shot at winning as an independent?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 01:09:44 PM »
There is also a law that states the democrat party still needs to offer up a candidate should Taylor's request be granted, so there will still be a democrat on the ballot to draw the large uninformed vote.

(D) that's all that matters.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »
I read an article and I'm not sure it was completely clear.  I am curious as to this whole thing.  If someone could see if my take is roughly accurate without partisan bullshit, I would appreciate it.

Taylor wants out so his votes will likely go to an Independent (non-tea party) candidate.  Kobach wants him on the ballot so that anti-Roberts votes will be split and Roberts is more likely to retain his seat.  Also, who is this independent and why do they have a realistic shot at winning as an independent?

The independent is Greg Orman. He has a better shot because he has raised considerably more money than the democrat, Chad Taylor. He also is not a democrat, and this is Kansas.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 01:45:12 PM »

The independent is Greg Orman. He has a better shot because he has raised considerably more money than the democrat, Chad Taylor. He also is not a democrat, and this is Kansas.

What a strange set of affairs.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »
Just read a few articles on the Kansas issue, doesn't sound like Rocket Surgery, why don't some people seem to understand that you can't just up and decide you don't want to run anymore once you reach a certain point?   Why can't some people understand that all kinds of shenanigans can go down (for either side) if you just let candidates withdraw any old way they want for any reason they want . . . once you reach a certain point in the process?

Oh wait, the outrage is because Kobach (not a fan) is a Republican and the candidate in question is a Democrat.   Political paradigm much?

The outrage is because Taylor withdrew before the deadline and Kobach decided not to let him.

According to the articles I read in Kansas newspapers, you can't just withdraw at this point.  A candidate must state that they are incapable of carrying through with the duties of the office if elected.   

If you don't want to be on the ballot, I would say that makes you incapable. Pretty hard to perform a job you refuse to do.

Incapable = cannot. Not "I don't wanna." The rule is in place to prevent a political party from doing exactly what the Democrats are trying to do - game the system late in the election cycle.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:51:57 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2014, 02:38:54 PM »
Candidates drop out all the time and endorse other candidates.  I don't see how dropping out is any worse than trying to force someone to stay on to help the incumbent.  Regardless, what a ridiculous affair.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2014, 02:51:07 PM »
Candidates drop out all the time and endorse other candidates.  I don't see how dropping out is any worse than trying to force someone to stay on to help the incumbent.  Regardless, what a ridiculous affair.

He won the democrat primary. If you want to drop out you need to do it before the primary election.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2014, 03:24:53 PM »
President Barak Obama for authorizing yet another strike which targets America's enemies.  This time, by the direction of President Obama, the United States has killed the notorious leader of Al-Shabaab.  Its times like this I'm glad we have a president who is willing to strike against our enemies, instead of that other president who decided to disband the intelligence groups where were in charge of hunting the terrorist formally known as Osama Bin Laden.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2014, 03:26:20 PM »

There could have been tampering.  You can't just roll over on this stuff. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »
Likelihood of another Illini #failseason making you grumpy Bread?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »

I'm not mad everytime I talk to you dax.  Just some of the times, but never at you. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »

I'm not mad everytime I talk to you dax.  Just some of the times, but never at you.

Okay

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2014, 03:39:07 PM »
This was a nice little exchange and I'm pleased we could share it with each other. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »

There could have been tampering.  You can't just roll over on this stuff. 

:lol:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Isn't the government slash politics just the worst? I mean, THE WORST

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
Politics is a mean nasty busineess.  If they can't find some dirt on you, they make up stories like your dog whizzes on babies and you told some old crabby lady she can eat dogfood and crutons if her Social security runs out.   The trouble really is this madness does not end.  When the election is over we need statesmen in Congress who work to find reasonable solutions.  We need more senators like Roberts and Moran.  An independent such as Orman in the Senate is like a turd in a banna split.  Orman would not be able to protect any KS interest. He would have to align himself with Harry Reid, the anti-statesman,

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2014, 03:38:58 PM »
He's certainly not the best person in the world, but John "I'm a War Hero" Kerry got at least one thing right today when he turned to directly respond to the Kode Pink Krazies disrupting his senate testimony.

Shortly before the hearing began before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, protesters from the anti- war group Code Pink – a prevalent sight on the Hill in recent days as lawmakers engaged in debate about arming Syrian rebels – stood up, held signs and chanted “No more war!”

Deviating from his prepared remarks, Kerry turned his attention to the protesters, seated in the front row of the hearing room, and told them that while he was sympathetic to their opposition to war, if they believed in the broader mission of Code Pink, “then you ought to care about fighting ISIL.”

Stressing that the Islamic State was “killing and raping and mutilating women” and “making a mockery of a peaceful religion,” Kerry told the protesters: “There is no negotiation with ISIL.”

Point Kerry. http://www.politico.com/story/2014/09/john-kerry-isil-ground-troops-111071.html
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2014, 03:43:47 PM »
see, "swift boat kerry" is so much catchier than "our dithering weakling"

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »
see, "swift boat kerry" is so much catchier than "our dithering weakling"

Hey man, don't be a critic. If you got something that's more catchy to describe Obama's complete foreign policy ineptitude, let's have it. All serious suggestions will be considered.