Author Topic: Defensive Help  (Read 5499 times)

Offline EMAW2432

• Fan
    • View Profile
Defensive Help
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:00:33 AM »
Do we have anyone behind Morgan Burns who could step up? Perhaps Prewitt? Burns got burnt deep several times during SFA. He has a problem not turning around to find the ball when its in the air and that will be a huge problem in BIG12 play.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
Re: Defensive Help
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »
Riddle me this batman...  If a receiver gets a step on a DB with an initial move, will the DB have better recovery speed facing straight ahead or running with his head turned?

I'm new to all of this, so I'll hang up and listen off air.

bears are fast...

Offline EMAW2432

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:15:55 AM »
Thats fair. But, if you are on a receiver who appears to be getting ready to catch a ball what should you do? He also got burnt a lot last year. Another issue I have with Burns is when he is running to make a tackle his angles are not the best. If SFA is able to target Burns I can only imagine the yards he will give up against a team like Baylor, Texas Tech, Ok St etc...

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »
Thats fair. But, if you are on a receiver who appears to be getting ready to catch a ball what should you do? He also got burnt a lot last year. Another issue I have with Burns is when he is running to make a tackle his angles are not the best. If SFA is able to target Burns I can only imagine the yards he will give up against a team like Baylor, Texas Tech, Ok St etc...

I was taught to watch his eyes and arms... When his eyes "get big", his arms will start to come up and at that point the DB should grab an arm or rake the ball out as it arrives.  This method has a far greater success rate than turning one's head and losing sight of the receiver in "hope" that the ball can be located in time to react and swat it away.

What did you think he should do?
bears are fast...

catzacker

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »
Maybe our shitty corners shouldn't get beat off the ball against a shitty FCS wide receiver.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
eff most of you (retards) in this thread.

Sent using Tapatalk Elite on iPhone 6

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »
The biggest defensive concern (and my biggest concern overall) was the lack of pressure from our front 4. JMHO.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:53:45 AM »
The biggest defensive concern (and my biggest concern overall) was the lack of pressure from our front 4. JMHO.

I concur...I think I heard Mueller's name called once all day.  Pretty quiet day from a Big 12 defensive POY candidate.
@mikec2w

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 10:55:18 AM »

Camp legs (hopefully).
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »

I concur...I think I heard Mueller's name called once all day.  Pretty quiet day from a Big 12 defensive POY candidate.

I'd have to rewatch to know for sure, but often poor pass rush lanes is also responsible for the pocket breaking down and QB scrambles which SFA hurt us with as well. I thought the defensive front did some nice things against SFA's running game, but they were poor against the pass.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 10:58:26 AM »

I have yet to re-watch it via KState.hdtv, but I don't remember seeing any stunts/lane changes by our DL.  With that said, one would hope that somebody (anybody) would've at least been able to beat the SFA OL one-on-one a couple times.

bears are fast...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »
I have yet to re-watch it via KState.hdtv, but I don't remember seeing any stunts/lane changes by our DL.  With that said, one would hope that somebody (anybody) would've at least been able to beat the SFA OL one-on-one a couple times.

I doubt we did much of that, but as you said, I expected someone to get some pressure more often than we did.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 11:03:58 AM »

I doubt we did much of that, but as you said, I expected someone to get some pressure more often than we did.
I was hoping the lack of a pass rush could be attributed to a vanilla scheme. I'm excited about Elijah Lee.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 11:04:14 AM »

Our LB's were pretty meh as well. They are going to get torched against Auburn.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 11:25:24 AM »

Geary beat his guy a couple times and just barely missed getting a paw on the QB.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »

I remember seeing a few twist stunts along the DL on the first few series. Took too long to develop if you ask me.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »

really looking forward to _FAN frames addressing this

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 12:28:53 PM »
Would like a status report on the late defensive transfers and if they are making good progress.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 12:59:48 PM »
I think the whole these players will work themselves into shape and be ready for Auburn/conference was always a fan's dream scenario and based on little historical/tangible evidence. Hopefully I'm wrong. Would love to see more of Dakorey Johnson, Travis Green and Prewett on D as well.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »
I think the whole these players will work themselves into shape and be ready for Auburn/conference was always a fan's dream scenario and based on little historical/tangible evidence. Hopefully I'm wrong. Would love to see more of Dakorey Johnson, Travis Green and Prewett on D as well.
Unfortunately, yes, but I would like at least 1 of them to make an impact, all have big potential and we are going to need a lot of athleticism to contain auburn, which it appears we currently don't have.  Agree on those players seeing the field more as well.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »

I was hoping the lack of a pass rush could be attributed to a vanilla scheme. I'm excited about Elijah Lee.

Lee looked awesome.  I think our pass rush will be fine.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
Do we have anyone behind Morgan Burns who could step up? Perhaps Prewitt? Burns got burnt deep several times during SFA. He has a problem not turning around to find the ball when its in the air and that will be a huge problem in BIG12 play.
I think lining him up 20 yards off the line instead of the usual 10 should remedy this problem  :thumbs:

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »
Does anyone know what is going on with Dvonta and Clinks?
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline i poo crabs

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 07:29:09 PM »
Does anyone know what is going on with Dvonta and Clinks?

in class  :dunno:

D.E.R.R.I.C.O.T.Tksu @dvonta20  ·  10h
Going to class pushing for greatness

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 09:30:17 PM »

Burns is our best corner, dumbstick
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd