Author Topic: Do I need to feel obligated to go to a f*cking baby shower?  (Read 2783 times)

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
Guy I work with just emailed me an invite to his "baby shower".  I would consider said coworker a friend but we've never really hung out outside of work.  I've never met his wife. 

I've never been to a baby shower, never wanted to go to a baby shower, and you can bet your sweet ass I will NOT be going to this baby shower.  Hell, I've never even purchased a gift for a f*cking baby shower... 

Question for my fellow GoEmawers.... Should I feel a damn bit guilty for not going and not gifting?  I don't.  But, should I? Is this a thing? Guys going to baby showers?  I mean... WHAT THE TAP DANCING eff?  Baby Shower!!?!?!    :jerk:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need to feel obligated to go to a f*cking baby shower?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:12:54 AM »
Your coworker should feel guilty for inviting you.

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »
don't feel guilty...
however, maybe your co-worker wants to hang outside of work?  Maybe he doesn't have non-work pals...and the wife will be surrounded by all her friends and he doesn't want to be chilling at this thing alone.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 10:14:23 AM »
maybe you can go in the backyard and pound brews and shoot guns and ride 4 wheelers while the ladies do the horrible baby shower stuff?

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
don't feel guilty...
however, maybe your co-worker wants to hang outside of work?  Maybe he doesn't have non-work pals...and the wife will be surrounded by all her friends and he doesn't want to be chilling at this thing alone.

Nope, he has tons of out of work pals. Has literally never asked me to hang out outside of work.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 10:15:21 AM »
maybe you can go in the backyard and pound brews and shoot guns and ride 4 wheelers while the ladies do the horrible baby shower stuff?

It's in a subdivision in Shawnee.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 10:16:05 AM »
Yeah, you shouldn't feel guilty. Unless you have given him some indication that you like to play party games like "Guess the flavor of this baby food" or "Guess how big around the pregnant lady's stomach is".

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »
don't feel guilty...

Nope, he has tons of out of work pals. Has literally never asked me to hang out outside of work.

feel no guilt. prob just a extra gift in his eyes, knows you are EMAW and would give a $$ gift, but you'll mush his fat face in that load of crap.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »

While this sounds amazing, a baby shower is an awful first bro-date.

Kind of seems like the Seinfeld episode when Jerry helps Keith Fernandez move. What's next...T1BW is supposed to pick this guy up from the airport??

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 10:19:33 AM »
pin the gens on the babe (baby)
eat a cupcake where there is frosting inside that indicates the anatomical sex
purse contents scavenger hunt
purse contents bingo
purse contents blackjack
baby name statistcal trivia

you really want to miss out on all this?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
wants gifts

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Do I need to feel obligated to go to a f*cking baby shower?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 10:31:35 AM »
would give zero fucks about not going and would be a little disgruntled  about him sending me invite but  wouldn't fight him b/c he's prob temp insane b/c kid

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »
Did he invite other office people?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 10:34:13 AM »
Guy I work with just emailed me an invite to his "baby shower".  I would consider said coworker a friend but we've never really hung out outside of work.  I've never met his wife. 

I've never been to a baby shower, never wanted to go to a baby shower, and you can bet your sweet ass I will NOT be going to this baby shower.  Hell, I've never even purchased a gift for a f*cking baby shower... 

Question for my fellow GoEmawers.... Should I feel a damn bit guilty for not going and not gifting?  I don't.  But, should I? Is this a thing? Guys going to baby showers?  I mean... WHAT THE TAP DANCING eff?  Baby Shower!!?!?!    :jerk:

I just reread this and realized it was an email invite....he wouldn't even spare an actual paper invitation for you then you shouldn't even have spared the time it took to write this post.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »

I just reread this and realized it was an email invite....he wouldn't even spare an actual paper invitation for you then you shouldn't even have spared the time it took to write this post.

Was going to post same thing!  :love:

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 11:20:27 AM »
Did he invite other office people?

I don't know... I'm going to find out. 

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »
don't the fathers usually skip out on the baby shower?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 12:02:54 PM »
don't the fathers usually skip out on the baby shower?
Traditionally, yes but somewhat recently some people have changed to include both parents. This goes along with having joint bachelor/bachelorette parties.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 12:07:16 PM »

Kind of seems like the Seinfeld episode when Jerry helps Keith Fernandez move. What's next...T1BW is supposed to pick this guy up from the airport??
:D

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 12:16:08 PM »
If it was a good friend that invited you, you should be happy to go. But this doesn't seem like a good friend and it's definitely an odd first social interaction outside of work.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »
Trim316

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Do I need to feel obligated to go to a f*cking baby shower?
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »
Get them a small baby gift and give it to him at work. You won't go to shower and won't feel guilty. Problem solved.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »
I'm going to ask the kid next to me who makes half what I do if he invited him.   :Wha:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
Trim316
Is he a cool dude? If so, his wife is probably a cool chick. If she is a cool chick, she probably has cool friends. If so, and you don't have anything else planned, then you should go. A gift is like $20. Probably will eat and drink that much at the party. May meet a cool girl. Prosper.