Author Topic: Avian carnage . .  (Read 24576 times)

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Avian carnage . .
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »
Make friends with as many farmers as you want that have prime hunting land.  they will tell you in a friendly manner that you can't hunt because of all the money they are paid from those that lease from them for not letting anyone other than them hunt.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
emo, how much would you pay to unleash dat avian carnage on a bald eagle?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »
If you are a fan of conservation, you should hate wind farms. They destroy an inordinate amount of habitat for birds (I don't know how there isn't an LPC thread in the pit yet), frighten them from breeding and kill them. This is well documented.  They also use up farm ground (which has to be replaced elsewhere) and require thousand of miles of transmission lines (further wasting ground and scaring birds).

If your a douche bag leftist idiot without a brain who thinks wind warms will somehow end the fossil fuel industries, then you love wind farms because that's what you've been told to do.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2014, 05:11:30 PM »
do you switch hemispheres for year-round hunting or something?  maybe i'm just cheap, but 1k/mo on a hobby seems kinda odd

I think he was trying to slip in a fanningbrag but it just makes him look like a goof

I think a bunch of you don't know what hunting leases go for.   $12k a year isn't that big of a deal if you are leasing land in two different states.

he was saying he hunts on federal land. :dunno:

And yeah $12k for a hunting lease for you is that big of a deal. Make friends with a farmer or something!

Shut up you idiot. You don't know what the eff you're talking about and look like a moron right now. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »
do you switch hemispheres for year-round hunting or something?  maybe i'm just cheap, but 1k/mo on a hobby seems kinda odd

I think he was trying to slip in a fanningbrag but it just makes him look like a goof

I think a bunch of you don't know what hunting leases go for.   $12k a year isn't that big of a deal if you are leasing land in two different states.

And yeah $12k for a hunting lease for you is that big of a deal. Make friends with a farmer or something!

Shut up you idiot. You don't know what the eff you're talking about and look like a moron right now. 

I can put you in touch with a farmer that will only charge you $10k/year to hunt.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2014, 05:17:19 PM »

I can put you in touch with a farmer that will only charge you $10k/year to hunt.

What's your hobby? I want to tell you why you're spending too much money on it.  Don't you live in Oakland or something? Don't you know you can live in Tulsa for way over $12000 less per year? Dumbass

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »

What's your hobby? I want to tell you why you're spending too much money on it.  Don't you live in Oakland or something? Don't you know you can live in Tulsa for well more than $12000 less per year? Dumbass

My income would be less in Tulsa and I probably wouldn't like my job. :frown:

My main hobby is volunteering at the food bank. It's fun!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »

What's your hobby? I want to tell you why you're spending too much money on it.  Don't you live in Oakland or something? Don't you know you can live in Tulsa for well more than $12000 less per year? Dumbass

Full circle!  :D

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »

As you pointed out, your happiness is not relevant, dumbass

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2014, 06:37:23 PM »
Hey shitbrain, I'd have less money, too.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
FSD outta nowhere with the blood feud attitude... must be in the pocket of Big Bird...

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
i'm actually working out here right now.  funny to see it make goEMAW.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
Hey shitbrain, I'd have less money, too.

Doubtful. Plus you wouldn't have to live in a sewer.  You really need to move to Tulsa.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2014, 10:18:59 PM »
what a dumbass thing to be angry about

I spend about $12k a year bird hunting.  Since 2005 I've seen quail populations on federal land go from pretty darn good to rough ridin' pitiful, some due to energy development.  It makes me sad/angry.  Now we spend our money in MT or SK.
Maybe the populations would be better if there weren't so many gun-nuts out there trying to murder the poor little guys.

God damnit jim bob, these birds are already dead!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »
if i was spending $12k a year on a hunting lease and not obscenely wealthy, i'd pretty quickly decide that maybe i was just meant to live out in the country. good grief

My dad probably spends that much, and he also bought land out in the country for weekends only. Hunters really get into this stuff
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2014, 08:32:20 AM »
Look at all this bird habitat being preserved!

www.coal4birds.com

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2014, 08:35:42 AM »
people who want to kill birds are butthurt about birds being killed.

Online DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2014, 08:51:21 AM »
I tend to agree with LSOC.  You'd have to be a huge dumbass to get killed by a windmill.  We're just culling the bird-herd.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
Wow this topic really zoomed!

I don't hunt the federal land I used to hunt anymore on account of the wind development and the non-existent quail population there.  FWIW, it's not just wind, oil and gas development, too.  I can't believe some of you dumbasses think that quail fly into the turbines.   :facepalm:  The development hurts the population because it brings activity to areas where they like to nest and rear chicks.  Birds are pushed out by the noise of the turbines, the activity from the service men and vehicles, etc.  The lesser prairie chicken, recently added to the federal endangered list, won't nest within view of a tall structure.  Some people believe it's because they are wary of potential roosting sites for raptors, but no one really knows.  We do know that if you put up wind mills in lesser PC habitat it will force them out.  Because their habitat is so fragmented it really means they are being extirpated from those areas, likely forever. 

A lot of the same is going on with regards to sage grouse in the west.  O&G and wind pushing them out. 

Hunters do contribute more money to conserve habitat than all other special interest groups combined.  It's not even close.  Between hidden taxes, license fees, activity and donations in conservation groups, it really adds up.  That's not even considering the commercial aspect. People pay big money for good bird hunting leases, too.  Even at $12k a year I can't afford a good one.  And that's why I spent 2 weeks a year out west where the public land is plentiful and development is fragmented.  Although even up there in 5 years going we've lost spots to O&G.  Places we used to move 5 coveys in an hour walk now maybe hold 10% of the birds they used to. 

Most of you probably don't care about some of these specific species that are affected.  Even I am conflicted at times about some of them.  But a precedent has been set (long ago) that it's okay to destroy public lands for the greater public good, and that's not right. 

Something to consider about wind energy...Denmark has really dove head first into it.  Something like 30% of their power comes from wind.  It's only a country of 5 million people, so not that big anyway, but still.  Wind there enjoys a subsidy exceeding 30%.  And it's been a massive failure to the citizenry.  But companies have profited tons from the industry.  It's basically been a way to funnel public funds to private companies.  There is likely corruption, not unlike what we've seen here with O&G, cattle, etc.  If it can't work in Denmark at something like 25 cents a kilowatt*hour, then it sure as crap won't work here at 10 cents a kilowatt*hour.  But GE will certainly make money (and won't pay any taxes on it, either).

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2014, 09:44:49 AM »

I don't hunt the federal land I used to hunt anymore on account of the wind development and the non-existent quail population there.  FWIW, it's not just wind, oil and gas development, too.  I can't believe some of you dumbasses think that quail fly into the turbines.   :facepalm:  The development hurts the population because it brings activity to areas where they like to nest and rear chicks.  Birds are pushed out by the noise of the turbines, the activity from the service men and vehicles, etc.  The lesser prairie chicken, recently added to the federal endangered list, won't nest within view of a tall structure.  Some people believe it's because they are wary of potential roosting sites for raptors, but no one really knows.  We do know that if you put up wind mills in lesser PC habitat it will force them out.  Because their habitat is so fragmented it really means they are being extirpated from those areas, likely forever. 

A lot of the same is going on with regards to sage grouse in the west.  O&G and wind pushing them out. 

Hunters do contribute more money to conserve habitat than all other special interest groups combined.  It's not even close.  Between hidden taxes, license fees, activity and donations in conservation groups, it really adds up.  That's not even considering the commercial aspect. People pay big money for good bird hunting leases, too.  Even at $12k a year I can't afford a good one.  And that's why I spent 2 weeks a year out west where the public land is plentiful and development is fragmented.  Although even up there in 5 years going we've lost spots to O&G.  Places we used to move 5 coveys in an hour walk now maybe hold 10% of the birds they used to. 

Most of you probably don't care about some of these specific species that are affected.  Even I am conflicted at times about some of them.  But a precedent has been set (long ago) that it's okay to destroy public lands for the greater public good, and that's not right. 

Something to consider about wind energy...Denmark has really dove head first into it.  Something like 30% of their power comes from wind.  It's only a country of 5 million people, so not that big anyway, but still.  Wind there enjoys a subsidy exceeding 30%.  And it's been a massive failure to the citizenry.  But companies have profited tons from the industry.  It's basically been a way to funnel public funds to private companies.  There is likely corruption, not unlike what we've seen here with O&G, cattle, etc.  If it can't work in Denmark at something like 25 cents a kilowatt*hour, then it sure as crap won't work here at 10 cents a kilowatt*hour.  But GE will certainly make money (and won't pay any taxes on it, either).

I'm on board with pretty much all you said here. My issue is the absurdity of attacking wind and solar while ignoring the ecological devastation wrought by the status quo.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2014, 09:54:04 AM »

I'm on board with pretty much all you said here. My issue is the absurdity of attacking wind and solar while ignoring the ecological devastation wrought by the status quo.

I'm not ignoring it.  But it's kinda what's done is done.  Let's learn our lesson and not do it again.  It's a lot easier to prevent momentum from being gained than trying to stop something once it's already reached critical mass (KS wind / WV coal).

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2014, 09:56:22 AM »
There would be zero windfarms in Kansas and zero in the Midwest if it was not for subsidies and passed legislation forcing fossil-fueled power generators to incorporate "green" power sources.  When there was a likely threat of the subsidies going away, all of the big boys (GE, BP, Infinity, Xcel, etc.) immediately ceased any additional development and shutdown any ongoing operations.  The legislation was passed at the last minute and then surprise! new farms were immediately built. 

Clean Line, tho

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2014, 09:57:24 AM »

call Beems he's probably nested and reared 80-90 chicks by now 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »
 :lol:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2014, 10:24:17 AM »

I'm not ignoring it.  But it's kinda what's done is done.  Let's learn our lesson and not do it again.  It's a lot easier to prevent momentum from being gained than trying to stop something once it's already reached critical mass (KS wind / WV coal).

The reality is that we have no method of producing electricity that doesn't harm the environment. Different methods harm to different degrees, yes, but as the population continues to grow, it will become necessary to produce more energy. Nuclear energy is probably the cleanest we can get, as long as the reactors don't melt down.