Author Topic: About last night...  (Read 18933 times)

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Re: About last night...
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 08:22:57 AM »
There's a whole lot of WTF in those two articles, especially the second one. 

:lol:  <-- me laughing at Rusty

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2014, 08:28:54 AM »
rusty wilson seems like the pike of aggieville bar owners

Pike the poster or pike the creepy fraternity?

the poster who believes all conspiracy theories

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2014, 08:32:38 AM »

You’re laughing at him? Did you all see that? This isn’t real. This is being treated like a joke.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2014, 09:05:43 AM »

You’re laughing at him? Did you all see that? This isn’t real. This is being treated like a joke.

Yeah, don't be Brett Allred bro

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »

As much as I hate to say it, but Brad Gruntley is bitb.

:peek:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »
lol

Offline TheBlueLeopard

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2014, 11:59:58 AM »
Rusty sounds douchy.

Also, there is a place called whisky Dick's?

Yes to both. The 1863 bought the Planet Sub location next to them and made it their new bar, Whiskey Dick's. An embarassingly terrible bar name, I say.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »
^^ Solid first post.  :emawkid:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »
welcome to our bbs, the blue leopard.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2014, 01:16:12 PM »

That was solid gold.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2014, 11:56:44 PM »

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2014, 04:37:49 AM »
Brad Gruntley can be funny, and he can laugh loud enough to make people stop talking across a large, noisy room.

But when Gruntley has his chief ’s hat on — when he’s officially speaking as director of the Riley County Police Department —he checks his humor at the door.

For this interview, Gruntley sat in a local restaurant with his back to a window, allowing sunshine to beam across the table and leave him in deep shadow.

Dressed entirely in shades of black or gray, he kept his sunglasses on, hat pulled low on his forehead.

MERCURY: “How is this merry-goround with Rusty Wilson ever going to end? This is the head of the police department and the owner of perhaps Manhattan’s most famous business. Doesn’t it need a resolution for everyone’s sake?”

Gruntley: “I can’t discuss any specific individuals, I really can’t. I can talk about department policy and how we handle certain types of cases. You can draw some conclusions from that, I think.”

MERCURY: “You don’t have an opinion on everything that’s happened with Rusty, then?”

Gruntley: “Of course I have opinions. We’re all human and we all have opinions. And my opinion might surprise you about some people…who you’d expect would bother me, but whom I actually kind of like.

“In our position, though, we absolutely cannot let our opinions shape our actions in any way at all. That would be compromising our integrity, and that integrity is why the public gives us their trust.

“If a member of law enforcement takes action based on an opinion he or she might have before the fact, that person is very likely going to be handing in a badge.

“No matter our opinion, every situation starts at a zero point. That is our obligation.”

Gruntley has been in the news a lot recently — which is not something he seeks nor particularly appreciates.

Oh, if he’s discussing RCPD budget issues with the Riley County Law Board, as department director he understands that he’s part of a public process. And that citizens and media are entitled to listen, or even participate.

But in the past couple of months, Gruntley has seen his name in newspaper headlines and heard himself quoted on the radio in completely different contexts.

Starting with this… A group of Riley County residents, including Rusty Wilson, hired a lobbyist to get a bill introduced in the Kansas State Senate that, if passed, would make the RCPD director an elected official rather than a law board appointee — as it stands now.

The bill had almost no chance to pass, but it was a shot across Gruntley’s bow, which he understands — but to which he shows no particular reaction.

“Some things you can control, and some things you can’t,” he says. “That one is totally out of my hands.”

Wilson, the high-profile owner of Kite’s Grille and Bar and longtime Aggieville entrepreneur, turned up the heat even further, basically accusing Gruntley of leading a department that has been out to target him personally.

At the same law board meeting at which Wilson leveled some of his charges, a woman came forward and accused Gruntley’s department of insensitivity bordering on misconduct during an incident five years ago — an event at which her son shot himself to death.

So, yes, Gruntley lately has been dragged into the limelight far more than he would prefer in his role running the department.

“Do I want to be sitting there defending the actions of my officers or myself?” Gruntley asks, rhetorically. “Well, there are other things I’d rather be doing, honestly.

“But here’s what I really want people to understand: If a citizen has a complaint about something we did – or didn’t do – then that person absolutely should be heard.

“We welcome it, we truly do, because law enforcement never should have anything to hide.

“So if a complaint is made — for harassment or inappropriate action or whatever – then we have an obligation to investigate that complaint. It’s not optional.”

Gruntley explains that he and the department answer – depending on the circumstances -- to the law board, to their own internal affairs officer, to the county attorney in extreme circumstances, and most important, to the people of Riley County.

“That’s why, if someone says, why don’t you just sit down with somebody who has some issues and work them out, that simply isn’t likely to be feasible with a conversation,” he says.

Gruntley does not mention Wilson’s name, but the obvious public accusations and the fact that the two men have, indeed, discussed potential problems doesn’t leave much to the imagination.

“Look, if someone owns a bar and complains that one of my officers has improperly targeted him in a way that seems he’s being framed — my words there, not anyone else’s — then we have an obligation to investigate that complaint,” Gruntley explains.

“It’s for the benefit of the person making the complaint and for the public, but also for the officer involved -- most definitely for the officer.

“Anything less than that looks like a whitewash, like we’re covering up something.

“Or if I just take it into my hands and work out something with the person who was complaining, where does that leave my officer? With a dark cloud still hanging there, that’s where.

“Have we had some personnel do the wrong thing? Yes, we have. I have four badges on my desk cut in half because someone did not follow our code and therefore the law. It hurts me every time I look at those badges, because they represent a failure to all of us in the department.

“That’s why we have to look into every complaint, every charge that someone makes about any officer. We have to be absolutely clean, and be able to prove it to any reasonable person.”

In a lot of ways, the RCPD is Gruntley’s entire professional life. He’s been with the department for his entire 31 years in law enforcement, and director since 2007.

He worries every day about one thing in particular.

“It takes years to build trust,” he says, voice deadly calm, “and it can be lost in a day. In minutes.

“And you can’t get it back.”

When the subject is not simply trust or integrity, Gruntley is open-minded and insightful about how the police process works, and for that matter, how society works.

“We can sit here and discuss all kinds of situations, and you can ask what I’d do in this case or that case…what’s right and what’s wrong, and so on,” he says.

“But for every situation, I’d need to know the motivation. Any police officer would say the same thing.

“There has to be some color provided – because life is rarely black and white, and neither is law enforcement. So much of it is shades of gray.

“How we handle that gray, day in and day out, will basically tell you how we’re doing our jobs.”

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2014, 04:41:14 AM »
usty Wilson and Riley County Police Department administrators appear prepared to put their disputes over alcohol violation enforcement procedures at Wilson’s bars behind them.

Wilson, owner of Aggieville establishments Kite’s Grille and Bar and Rusty’s Mexican Grill, spoke to the Riley County Law Enforcement Agency Board during a special meeting Thursday.

Unlike last week’s regular monthly board meeting, all parties seemed to want to find solutions, rather than continue quarreling over whether RCPD officers unfairlytargetWilson’sbusinesses for alcohol violations.

In the last few months, Wilson has aired his grievances over the RCPD’s procedures for investigating and citing alcohol violations at his bars. He’s alleged the department’s officers had been unfairly targeting his bars. However, on Thursday, Wilson said he’d like to focus on “getting better at what I do so we can have a working relationship with the police.”

“If we can move forward from today, move on from today, that’s all I care to do,” Wilson said to the board. “That’s all I wanted to do.”

Members of the board said they shared Wilson’s desire to head in a positive direction.

Manhattan Mayor and board member Wynn Butler suggested more needs to be done to increase understanding of alcohol laws.

“Be sure that everyone on the (RCPD) force understands what they are,' he said. 'You’ve got them written out and that they are equally enforced across the board.' He added that bar owners and their staffs should be trained and knowledgeable of their responsibilities, too.

The board unanimously approved a three-part motion made by Butler that included his suggested improvements moving forward: First, the RCPD will more than once a year provide a report that shows alcohol violation enforcement statistics.

SEE N O . 1, BACK PAGE

Gruntley

WILSON

Article Continued Below
See WILSON RCPD on Page A08

Wilson, RCPD call truce at meeting

N O . 1, F ROM PAGE A1

Second, RCPD Director Brad Gruntley will review and make sure department policies on officers using their discretion in alcohol violation investigations are understood.

Third, the law board will work more closely with the Citizens Advisory Board by meeting quarterly to discuss a regular meeting for concerns to be shared about all topics.

Though a resolution was reached, verbal shots were still fired Thursday night.

In fact, the meeting began with a video Wilson took in 2012. Wilson has mentioned the video on several occasions since then, including in an interview published in The Mercury on April 20.

The clip shows Doehling speaking to a woman not of legal drinking age while at a packed bar inside Kite’s. Doehling reaches for a Bud Light pounder that was on the bar. He then points the woman to the door.

Doehling and the woman head to an alley outside. Wilson follows closely, filming with his cellphone.

Once outside, Doehling asks Wilson to keep his distance, so he can ask the woman about the beer. Bar owners aren’t allowed to be present while an officer is questioning someone who may have committed an alcohol violation.

Wilson protests, so Doehling and the woman walk to the RCPD’s Aggieville substation.

“I saw what you did in there,” Wilson says as he continues to follow. “That wasn’t her beer. It’s on video.”

Doehling and the woman keep walking.

Once at the station, Doehling opens the door, the woman walks inside and Doehling follows.

Wilson attempts to get inside.

“You have no right to be in here,” Doehling says to Wilson, who’s still outside.

“Yes, I do,” Wilson says.

Doehling proceeds to explain that Wilson cannot be present during the investigation. Wilson argues with Doehling for about 40 seconds before begrudgingly giving in. The video cuts out.

The woman was not cited — even though she admitted to drinking — because Doehling later discovered the beer he grabbed wasn’t hers.

On Thursday, Wilson explained to the board his side of the story about the video. He said Doehling “reaches way up and grabs a can of beer, and takes the girl with him.”

“Yeah,I’mirateaboutthis because I know the consequences of what happens when we get a minor in possession violation,” Wilson said. “I questioned him about it, and I want to be present because I don’t know what’s being said.”

Wilson said he takes the possible violations seriously because it could cost him his liquor license when “a 20-year-old took a sip of a beer” or “because an officer grabbed random evidence.”

Gruntley’stakeonthevideo was different. He pointed outthatWilson’s description of the video in his quote in The Mercury didn’t accurately describe what appears to have happened.

“This particular video does not show what he’s purported it to show,” Gruntley said. “That is, that in essence, that Officer Doehling is — my word, not his — ‘framing’ this poor woman.”

Gruntley suggested Doehling should be commended for not citing the woman.

“The officer heard what she had to say, decided it was possible he had made an error, so he let her go,” Gruntley said.

Doehling also spoke to the board at the meeting.

What the video doesn’t show, Doehling said, is that he had established probable cause to approach the woman.

“In this particular incident, the female did possess a Bud Light pounder — an aluminum can — which I saw her possessing,” Doehling said.

He then explained that the woman later told him she had slid the beer to her boyfriend, who was sitting at the bar. Doehling then decided to collect what he thought was her can and head outside to keep the matter private.

“So I did grab the closest beer that was to her, which was within arm’s reach,” he said. “As you can clearly see (in the video), I didn’t have to lean over the table or do anything dramatic like that.”

The video is evidence, Doehling said, that if he did want to target Wilson or shut down his establishments, then he could have arrested Wilson for obstruction or criminal trespass for trying to enter the Aggieville substation.

“I am simply doing a job to the best of my ability, which is what you, the law board, expect from me, (and what) my superiors and the citizens of Riley County expect me to do,” he said.

The video wasn’t the only dispute that resurfaced.

Wilson took issue with statistics shared last week and last night that showed how his bars stack up among other Aggieville establishments.

The RCPD’s numbers show Wilson’s bars receive the most citizen-generated calls for service, the most reports of theft and other part one crimes, the most reports of violent crimes, the second-most alcohol violations within establishments and are tied for last with Eighteen63 for fewest selfpolicing incidents of minor in possession.

Similar statistics were shared last week, but Wilson requested they be reviewed because the numbers were from March 2010 to March 2014. He didn’t own Rusty’s in 2010, when it was known as Last Chance.

Thursday night’s stats dated back to March 2012.

But Wilson believes there’s more to the story.

“I’mrunningmorepeople through the doors quicker,” he said. “I’m doubling what other (bars) are doing, so I’m going to have more problems.”

Board chair and City Commissioner John Matta said Wilson’s point spoke to both sides’ views.

“I think part of the point, too, is to just to show the statistics of where the calls were, which can also be testified to by the amount of business coming in and out of the establishment,” he said. “That’s why there are more police that are actually going (to Wilson’s bars).”

During the board’s closing comments, board member and City Commissioner, Rich Jankovich, said the two sides may need to focus on working together to address alcohol violation problems.

“If I’m hearing (correctly) from the Kite’s and Rusty’s establishments,there’scommunication going on between law enforcement and your staff to try and work together better maybe reestablishing some trust that you believe isn’t there,”

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2014, 04:45:40 AM »
Beer at Bramlage: Students propose solutions to problems they see at KSU

Bryan Richardson

[email protected]

Six K-State students seeking policy changes spoke to their peers Thursday in the Leadership Studies Building to gain support for their proposed solutions.

Travis Smith, communications studies instructor, said this class project started in the 1980s with Phil Anderson, a former KSU speech communications professor.

Smith said he had the opportunity to do this project himself 14 years ago.

“You don’t just learn about campus,” he said. “You learn about how bureaucracy works.”

Smith said a new concept he focused on this year is “interviewing the wolf,” which is talking with the person who governs the issue.

“If you want to make a change, you have to talk to the person over that entity,” he said.

Smith said the students had a choice of starting a petition or writing a letter to the editor in the K-State Collegian for their assignment.

Beer at Bramlage, LHC Bill Snyder

Jedd Russell said the football game experience is affected by drunken fans who sneak in alcohol.

Russell said changing K-State’s policy to allow for beer sales at LHC Bill Snyder Family Stadium and Bramlage Coliseum and eliminating the ability to leave at halftime would cut down on the drinking issues.

Russell used statistics from West Virginia University's move in 2011 to sell beer at its football stadium as an example of the potential positive effects.

He told the audience that

SEE N O . 2, BACK PAGE

Article Continued Below
See BEER AT on Page A08

Beer at Bramlage: Students propose solutions to problems they see at KSU

N O . 2, F ROM PAGE A1

police activity decreased by 64.5 percent while a boost in food sales occurred along with the additional beer revenue of $520,000 that first season.

He estimated K-State could gain $433,500 in additional revenue from beer at LHC Bill Snyder Family Stadium by taking the West Virginia’s revenue per fan average on the stadium’s 50,000 capacity.

First-aid kits

Alex Robinson said KState should be prepared with first-aid kits in every room in case a shooting happened.

He said somebody could bleed to death within three minutes, requiring quick action.

Robinson said there aren’t many kits on campus.

“When there is a firstaid kit in a room or in a building, it’s somewhere that is inaccessible for students,” he said.

The kits would include clotting chowder, pressure bandage and tourniquet.

He estimated K-State would need 2,500 kits at a cost of $112,500 as well as a online course for students at a cost of $100,000.

Robinson said he was told by KSU Police Chief Ronnie Grice that a lack of money and no violent attacks at K-State are the main reasons for not having first-aid kits.

Robinson said a $10 public health and safety fee for the university’s 24,000 students would provide enough money for the kits with $27,500 leftover.

Long-term counseling

Johanna Kelly said she struggled with depression for most of her freshman year at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, but counseling services helped her.

Kelly transferred to KState and hoped to go to the university’s counseling services to help her.

“To my surprise, I was turned away and told that they did not have the resources to help someone with my needs,” she said.

Kelly said she was sent to Pawnee Mental Health, but stopped after three sessions because she couldn't afford the $120-per-session price tag since to insurance didn't cover the costs.

She said there is a need for long-term mental health services for students 'suffering from a lifetime of mental illness.”

Kelly advocated for encouraging state lawmakers to not cut higher education funding and raising awareness about mental health issues.

24-hour dining

Parker Wilhelm said K-State has numerous dining options for students based on religious practices, allergies and lifestyles.

Something K-State doesn’t have, he said, is the option for a busy student to enter the dining hall at 2 p.m. for a meal.

Wilhelm said Mary Molt, associate director of KSU housing and dining, told him that the dining schedule is this way because it’s an old holdover.

He said this doesn’t work for the modern student, and advocated for keeping the doors open from breakfast through dinner.

“I’m not concerned with what you eat when you’re busy,” he said. “I’m concerned that you can eat.”

Campus smoke ban

Devon Cooke said banning smoking on campus would stop a health hazard for students who don’t smoke.

He cited an annual Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that said 42,000 people died from secondhand smoking last year.

“There are no risk-free level of exposures to second- hand smoke,” he said, citing a surgeon general’s report. Cooke said the current policy of not smoking within 30 feet of a building is hard to enforce because of the ambiguous nature of who enforces the policy.

He said a campus ban would come with a minimum fine of $250 for smoking on campus, which would be an effective deterrent for smokers.

Fixing KSU/MCC dual degree

Joe Simon is taking communications studies at KSU and biblical studies and leadership at Manhattan Christian College as a part of the dual degree program.

Simon said his first advising session at KState ended with confusion for everybody involved.

“I had introduced the idea of the dual degree concept to my adviser,” he said. “I don’t think this should happen.”

Simon said K-State is also missing an online presence for this option on the university website.

He said MCC and KState should “stop acting like a junior-high relationship” and communicate better.

Simon suggested hiring an adviser who specifically handles dual degree students.

He said a new K-State education college adviser is taking on 250 students, while there are only an average of 100 to 125 dual degree students each year.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2014, 06:56:02 AM »
Wilson, owner of Aggieville establishments Kite’s Grille and Bar and Rusty’s Mexican Grill

wait, wut

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 07:04:10 AM »
you're missing out sd

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2014, 07:05:11 AM »
Wilson, owner of Aggieville establishments Kite’s Grille and Bar and Rusty’s Mexican Grill

wait, wut

this happened like weeks ago
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2014, 07:06:09 AM »

wait, wut

this happened like weeks ago

weird

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2014, 07:13:48 AM »

nah, I'm good thanks

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2014, 07:39:18 AM »
it doesn't look that bad
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2014, 08:35:48 AM »
T-Y, waks.  Had higher expectations from that beer & fOOD headline.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »

wait, wut

wow. great catch, sd. dont know what wed do without you.

its not like we have like 40 townies and an entire thread about new restaurants/cultural changes in manhattan...  :frown:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »

wow. great catch, sd. dont know what wed do without you.

its not like we have like 40 townies and an entire thread about new restaurants/cultural changes in manhattan...  :frown:

:eek:

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2014, 10:29:12 AM »

nah, I'm good thanks

Looks like they might be able to run a distant second to Taco Cabana if it ever makes it's way north of OKC....

bears are fast...