Author Topic: Are we going to go all in on the passing game this season?  (Read 13360 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Are we going to go all in on the passing game this season?
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »
He gave me a hi five after that game.  :gocho:

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 09:40:42 AM »

I'm guessing you still haven't washed that hand? I wouldn't blame you.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »
I say no. . .but we won't have to worry as much when we are down late in the game.  When we had CK at the helm and we were down late in the fourth. . .we kinda knew it was over.

Did you forget all about the Texas AM comeback when

was born? (credit to asava for the pic)

Down 10 with 6 minutes left.....

Easily One of the best games i've been to.

This..... ,  is probably my favorite LHC LHC Bill Snyder moment.

I view it as the day Bill got his swagger back.....started out 7-0, lost 2 straight, then pulled this out. I imagine that while Bill was staring at the crowd he was thinking "This is it. This is why I came back, for moments like this"
This is pretty great, I imagined the same thing watching the video before I read your comment after it.

Bill is just watching the players as they go around the field, waiting for them to go into the locker room.  He's not admiring the scene like we'd all like to believe.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »
Holy crap, the consummate big K-State back has been forgotten?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2014, 09:43:39 AM »

I'm guessing you still haven't washed that hand? I wouldn't blame you.
I have glass around it so air can't touch it.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
O/U on Waters INT's is set at 12.5

I'm guessing 25 TDs to 10 INTs, probably better. Waters will probably run less, but average more yards per carry. 65% completions, 3500+ yards, 9ish yards per attempt. I'm not sure why anyone would expect a regression. Snyder's quarterbacks almost always make improvements from their JR to SR seasons and usually very dramatic improvements.

Winning more games and being a legit contender for the Big 12 next year will come down to the play of the defense and special teams. Our offense finished in the Top 15 last year and I expect it to remain at least in the top 20. However, our special teams were less than spectacular (#33) and our defense was mediocre (#43). If those don't improve, then the offense won't matter much.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »
O/U on Waters INT's is set at 12.5

I'm guessing 25 TDs to 10 INTs, probably better. Waters will probably run less, but average more yards per carry. 65% completions, 3500+ yards, 9ish yards per attempt. I'm not sure why anyone would expect a regression. Snyder's quarterbacks almost always make improvements from their JR to SR seasons and usually very dramatic improvements.

Winning more games and being a legit contender for the Big 12 next year will come down to the play of the defense and special teams. Our offense finished in the Top 15 last year and I expect it to remain at least in the top 20. However, our special teams were less than spectacular (#33) and our defense was mediocre (#43). If those don't improve, then the offense won't matter much.

Last year he threw an INT every 29 attempts. I can see him improving on that average but he'll have 150-200 more attempts this year. I think he'll end up right around a dozen.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »
I'd like to see a healthy reliance on the play action.  Assuming we have a RB/OL that keeps the defense honest.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »
I'd like to see a healthy reliance on the play action.  Assuming we have a RB/OL that keeps the defense honest.

QB run action passes to Gronk! :love:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
I know Waters isn't Sams, but he can run too. He was very successful with it in JUCO. Maybe he's gotten a lil bit better everyday? :dunno:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:57 AM »
I know Waters isn't Sams, but he can run too. He was very successful with it in JUCO. Maybe he's gotten a lil bit better everyday? :dunno:

Waters shies away from contact too much to be effective at designed run plays at the D1 level. I don't mind him scrambling, but having him run designed draws didn't work last year and probably never will.

Offline daBish7

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2014, 10:36:27 AM »
What are the odds a healthy SAMs has more snaps at qb than a healthy waters during a game this season?

I say pretty damn good!

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »
What are the odds a healthy SAMs has more snaps at qb than a healthy waters during a game this season?

I say pretty damn good!

Whatever the opposite of pretty damn good is. That's my answer.

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2014, 10:45:21 AM »

Waters shies away from contact too much to be effective at designed run plays at the D1 level. I don't mind him scrambling, but having him run designed draws didn't work last year and probably never will.
IIRC, I think he had some decent QB draws later in the season. I think you're right that option type plays aren't his forte, but designed runs at the right time will work. He also realized that he's not the best at taking contact and would go ahead and dive forward when he was about to get hit which limited his fumbles. I'm ok with that as he usually had a first down by that point. He's obviously no big play threat with his legs, but good enough to add that element of surprise to a defense.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »

Waters on a designed run, huge hole, defender "closing" in, and..

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2014, 10:49:35 AM »

Waters on a designed run, huge hole, defender "closing" in, and..

Looks like a first down tho.  :)

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2014, 10:51:13 AM »
Waters is much more akin to a wealthy individuals Matt Miller.

also dont't sleep on Leverett
I'm so ready for a big back. :love: :crossfingers:

Our RB's have been 5'7 - 190 for so long that we now think 6'0-203 is a "big back".  :lol:

And, since 1989, LHCBS has been doing everything in his power (while admitting as much) to maintain balance in the rushing/passing attacks.  Expecting anything else would be foolish at this point, IYAM.  I think we'll end up slightly heavier to the pass, but balance is the goal.
That would be considered a big back in Snyder's system. Daniel Thomas and parts of Thomas Clayton were fun to watch.

Which parts specifically, Wacky? :fatty: (not that there's anything wrong with that)
Please don't ban me, Mr. Dave.

Offline daBish7

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »

I say pretty damn good!

Wanna bet?

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2014, 10:53:44 AM »

I say pretty damn good!

Wanna bet?

Uhh, yea.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2014, 10:55:46 AM »
Water's running/scrambling abilities improved throughout the season.  He started to learn to buy some time in the pocket and still make accurate passes on the run.  In the Michigan game, he scrambled for a couple first downs when he couldn't get a pass off.  I also recall during the OU game that he scrambled a few times out of the pocket and had a long TD pass to Lockett.  If you give him time, he can beat you with his arm or his legs.  Now that he has had more time to get comfortable with his receivers and the game has slowed down for him, I think he could have an amazing season.  I've never felt this confident about a K-State QB in a long time (even Klein).  I have never been concerned about Water's accuracy and arm strength.  He also started to identify the defensive mismatches more and audible to take advantage of that (something Klein did very well). 

Guys I'm really excited about the upcoming season.  If our defense lives up to expectations and our O-Line doesn't suck balls I'm team #10wins. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2014, 11:05:57 AM »
How are the tackles doing though?  :ohno:

Offline daBish7

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2014, 11:13:13 AM »
Water's running/scrambling abilities improved throughout the season.  He started to learn to buy some time in the pocket and still make accurate passes on the run.  In the Michigan game, he scrambled for a couple first downs when he couldn't get a pass off.  I also recall during the OU game that he scrambled a few times out of the pocket and had a long TD pass to Lockett.  If you give him time, he can beat you with his arm or his legs.  Now that he has had more time to get comfortable with his receivers and the game has slowed down for him, I think he could have an amazing season.  I've never felt this confident about a K-State QB in a long time (even Klein).  I have never been concerned about Water's accuracy and arm strength.  He also started to identify the defensive mismatches more and audible to take advantage of that (something Klein did very well). 

Guys I'm really excited about the upcoming season.  If our defense lives up to expectations and our O-Line doesn't suck balls I'm team #10wins.

:emawkid:

I feel the same way!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2014, 11:31:35 AM »
Waters is terrible on speed option, there is no doubt there (though he did improve as the season went along).

However, he's pretty good on zone read option and delay QB lead/draw plays. He is good at moving in the pocket to buy time to throw as well. He's not a detriment as a runner and the QB run game can still be a nice part of our offense, it just won't be the percentage it was for Klein or Sams.

The comparison with Matt Miller is almost spot on. Waters is actually a slightly better runner than Miller, Miller had a higher completion percentage, but Waters has a higher YPA. Their TD:INT is identical.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2014, 12:29:29 PM »
Waters is terrible on speed option, there is no doubt there (though he did improve as the season went along).

However, he's pretty good on zone read option and delay QB lead/draw plays. He is good at moving in the pocket to buy time to throw as well. He's not a detriment as a runner and the QB run game can still be a nice part of our offense, it just won't be the percentage it was for Klein or Sams.

The comparison with Matt Miller is almost spot on. Waters is actually a slightly better runner than Miller, Miller had a higher completion percentage, but Waters has a higher YPA. Their TD:INT is identical.

Interesting. My recollection of Miller was that he was a better runner with a weaker arm compared to Jake. But...stats and stuff. I tend to trust fan on this one.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »

I just watched all the meaningful offensive possessions from the BWW Bowl and Waters was nearly perfect.  He even ran the speed options decently.  He tends to slow play them a bit but we still gained yards on each one and I'd bet averaged 4 or 5 yards an attempt.