Author Topic: Taxes  (Read 41592 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Taxes
« Reply #350 on: February 27, 2017, 10:35:49 PM »
will do, may take me a while tho.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 27, 2017, 11:34:13 PM »
That makes no sense to me unless maybe you have some kind of regular expenses that could be considered business expenses.  I mean, if you have a regular job then your income is going to be taxed, so it would have to be a question of deductions either way.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 27, 2017, 11:38:05 PM »
ksuw, have you considered taking a job that pays less, in order to take advantage of the lower tax rate?

Have you considered the inherent inequity of progressive taxation?

Everyone has their own opinion of taxes, but I kinda like the way the current system is structured.  By making the rate higher for higher income it incentivizes people with more expendable income to do stuff with their money that benefits others.  Charitable donations being an obvious one, but HSAs, 401ks, and home ownership all provide benefits to the economy.  Plus you have an entire tax preparation industry that richer people are more likely to use, which creates jobs.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 27, 2017, 11:45:36 PM »
That makes no sense to me unless maybe you have some kind of regular expenses that could be considered business expenses.  I mean, if you have a regular job then your income is going to be taxed, so it would have to be a question of deductions either way.

i quit my regular job and apparently now have to either be a sole proprietor, an llc or an scorp.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 27, 2017, 11:48:22 PM »
btw, after about 5 minutes of googling i think my sorta coworker is prolly wrong.  or at least it doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 28, 2017, 01:06:24 AM »
Do you have a job that exposes you to potentially substantial personal liability? No? Well, then it's probably not for you. But I will say the idea of having an llc or Corp between you and your employer does smack of liberty. 'Murica, boys...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 28, 2017, 08:16:42 PM »
ksuw, have you considered taking a job that pays less, in order to take advantage of the lower tax rate?

Have you considered the inherent inequity of progressive taxation?

Everyone has their own opinion of taxes, but I kinda like the way the current system is structured.  By making the rate higher for higher income it incentivizes people with more expendable income to do stuff with their money that benefits others.  Charitable donations being an obvious one, but HSAs, 401ks, and home ownership all provide benefits to the economy.  Plus you have an entire tax preparation industry that richer people are more likely to use, which creates jobs.

agreed

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 28, 2017, 08:57:46 PM »
I made some tax mistakes this year and am going to get BRUTALIZED

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 28, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »
congrats puni

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 28, 2017, 09:31:51 PM »
My wife doesn't work and just spends money all day, so I save a ton on taxes but take it in the ass on lost income and credit card bills.

Congrats on making enough so your wife doesn't need to work.  It means you've made it and are no longer a paycheck to paychecker.  Buy some rental property and you might get invited up to the club.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:11:58 AM by Dugout DickStone »

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 01, 2017, 12:06:30 AM »
congrats puni

its hard out there for a MENRY

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 01, 2017, 08:22:56 AM »

Pretty much agree also, although the games that get played with what is income and credits and deductions.....

Neither here nor there - national average figures for 2015 out of TaxAct: Mortgage Interest Deduction: $7,622 vs. claimed Charitable Contributions: $3,176

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 01, 2017, 08:29:42 AM »
I think Mrs. Wacky did ours wrong, guys. Not as cocky as before. I think she's taking me down with her. Apparently when you're married and you file separately, you can't get credit for student loan interest? Right now it's showing she gets a decent amount back and I'll be even.  :dunno:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 01, 2017, 08:45:40 AM »
I think Mrs. Wacky did ours wrong, guys. Not as cocky as before. I think she's taking me down with her. Apparently when you're married and you file separately, you can't get credit for student loan interest? Right now it's showing she gets a decent amount back and I'll be even.  :dunno:

Why on earth would you file separately when she didn't work?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 01, 2017, 08:49:41 AM »
classic wacky

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 01, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
congrats on getting that AGI over the threshold for being able to take full/any student loan interest deductions wacks :thumbs:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 01, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »
i post it every year but this thread is the absolute bitb for people revealing more of their personal life than they ever think about

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 01, 2017, 08:54:22 AM »
Wacky, my guess is (and it's really just a guess) you would probably get a return between $3k and $4k filing jointly.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 01, 2017, 09:01:02 AM »
Wacky, my guess is (and it's really just a guess) you would probably get a return between $3k and $4k filing jointly.
That's what it was showing at first and then she put my stuff in and it cut it in half somehow.

Why on earth would you file separately when she didn't work?
She didn't work for like 4 months. Not sure how much that would effect it. The girl who did my taxes this year told me to files seperately. We didn't get married until June 7th. I don't know guys, I hate this stuff.  :curse:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 01, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
I'll just call Jennie from Minnesota guys. She'll clear this thing up. TIA.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 01, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »
i post it every year but this thread is the absolute bitb for people revealing more of their personal life than they ever think about

was thinking the same thing.  will read someone's post and think, "they shouldn't have said that".  but then again, the only people who see through some of that stuff are the you, me, and gordon gecko

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 01, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »
you know, wacky, paying a professional a couple hundred dollars to do your taxes is really worth your time

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 01, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
you know, wacky, paying a professional a couple hundred dollars to do your taxes is really worth your time
Yeah, I did it last year and the year before that. Just being stingy I guess. Classic Wacky.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 01, 2017, 09:07:51 AM »

Yes

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 01, 2017, 09:09:44 AM »
Or just use turbotax. It only takes about 30 minutes.