Author Topic: More of this Schultz on the road, just not our Forte; OSU ADV  (Read 9820 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: More of this Schultz on the road, just not our Forte; OSU ADV
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »
@Cole_Manbeck 
In K-State's last 3 road games, KSU had stretches where it scored 8 points on 22 possessions, 13 pts on 30 possessions, 5 pts on 16 possess.

I don't think that's very useful information. When you pick and choose small groups of possessions, all teams have extreme stretches like that. KSU also had some really good stretches those games, such as a 20 points in 10 possession stretch against Tech.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2014, 01:51:58 PM »
@Cole_Manbeck 
In K-State's last 3 road games, KSU had stretches where it scored 8 points on 22 possessions, 13 pts on 30 possessions, 5 pts on 16 possess.

I don't think that's very useful information. When you pick and choose small groups of possessions, all teams have extreme stretches like that. KSU also had some really good stretches those games, such as a 20 points in 10 possession stretch against Tech.

Yes, I see that. Possession base stats show their worth with meaningful data including lots of games. However, I don't mind looking at small segments like that. I see it as another way of describing runs, and a more informative way. I'd rather look at that than say "KSU gave up runs of 18-3, 20-6, and 15-4".

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2014, 01:53:11 PM »
@Cole_Manbeck 

all teams have not had similar stretches like that in their past 3 games.  and i can prove it. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2014, 01:55:21 PM »
@Cole_Manbeck 

Yes, I see that. Possession base stats show their worth with meaningful data including lots of games. However, I don't mind looking at small segments like that. I see it as another way of describing runs, and a more informative way. I'd rather look at that than say "KSU gave up runs of 18-3, 20-6, and 15-4".
Always thought the best way to end runs on the road is to get to the free-throw line, something we have struggled with this year.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2014, 02:11:13 PM »
Frustrating again is the fact that while things had gone stagnant offensively during those long scoring droughts in those games, there were segments where multiple point blank shots were missed, many of them not that heavily contested, in some cases pretty much not contested at all.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
@Cole_Manbeck 

all teams have not had similar stretches like that in their past 3 games.  and i can prove it. 

PROVE IT!

@Cole_Manbeck 

I don't think runs are particularly informative, no matter how they're described.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »
@Cole_Manbeck 

All teams are going to have good stretches and bad stretches, I totally agree.   You are either turning the ball over or missing shots if you are on a bad stretch.    He also tweeted that we had a combined 22 TOs in those 68 poss.   That is a lot more troublesome than shooting 17% from the field (which is what we shot in those 68 poss) 

2nd, I think the length of "bad stretches" also is a factor.    13 pts in 30 poss is pretty alarming when your team is ave 66 poss in a game. That basicly meens you got 13 pts in what like 18 minutes.     5 pts in 16 poss is not good either, but you can overcome that if you played decent the other 3/4 of the game.   

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2014, 02:27:15 PM »
K-State tends to hit stretches like that.  We don't have enough ability to "manufacture" points and stop runs.  Generally upperclassmen take on this role but ours aren't really capable.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2014, 02:36:59 PM »
missed layups should be an advanced stat.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »
Our offense gets plenty of blame for our road woes, and some of that is warranted. It is interesting that our 2PT% is exactly the same on the road compared to in the OOD, but our 3PT shooting is nearly 8% worse and our FT rate is 10% less. TO% is almost 2% worse but oboarding is actually 3% better.

However, defense has some major road issues. 2PT% defense is 10.5% worse,  3PT% defense is 7% worse, and teams turn it over nearly 2% less. Road offense and defense are both bad, but I'd say our problems on defense have been bigger than those on offense, especially since defense is the strength of this team and our offense is pretty average anyway.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »
Our offense gets plenty of blame for our road woes, and some of that is warranted. It is interesting that our 2PT% is exactly the same on the road compared to in the OOD, but our 3PT shooting is nearly 8% worse and our FT rate is 10% less. TO% is almost 2% worse but oboarding is actually 3% better.

However, defense has some major road issues. 2PT% defense is 10.5% worse,  3PT% defense is 7% worse, and teams turn it over nearly 2% less. Road offense and defense are both bad, but I'd say our problems on defense have been bigger than those on offense, especially since defense is the strength of this team and our offense is pretty average anyway.

our guys aren't mentally tough.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2014, 02:59:24 PM »

I enjoy this.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2014, 03:03:35 PM »

I think fouling issues have a lot to do with are defensive problems on the road, higher 2pt% & 3pt% is a result of foul trouble.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2014, 03:05:03 PM »

I enjoy this.

they aren't.

They couldn't handle Frank, they wilt on the road.  They need a home crowd to give them energy.

Failure to close out games well.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2014, 03:05:59 PM »
bad ft shooting.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »

I enjoy this.

they aren't.

They couldn't handle Frank, they wilt on the road.  They need a home crowd to give them energy.

We are better then average when it comes to closing out close games.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »

I enjoy this.

they aren't.

lol
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
they aren't.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2014, 03:15:14 PM »

I enjoy this.

they aren't.

lol
We have a Kenpom luck score of +.43 (ranks 82 in the country).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »
How does someone define "closing out games"? :confused:

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2014, 03:19:50 PM »
How does someone define "closing out games"? :confused:
Wining or Losing more close games then the average (Splitting them)?  :dunno:

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »
Our 2 pt at D is off the charts at home. I expect the dropoff to be noticeable( but still think road 2 pt D should be better).   The defense wasn't good at ku OU isu wv or okst. I know it was good enough at TCU Tech and Baylor ( thru regulation) and I believe it gave us a chance to win at Texas ( both teams had 64 pts in 61 poss with 2 secs left).   I just feel the offense hasn't given us a chance much in road....maybe the isu gm.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2014, 03:57:34 PM »
We were 6-3 on the road last year.  I guess we were mentally tough enough last yr

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2014, 04:10:03 PM »
@Cole_Manbeck 

This is humiliating.  I'm done.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »
Less than three conference road wins, low scoring stretches in three consecutive road games, and who knows what else.  Why does this crap always happen to us?  I'm done.  I've had enough.