Author Topic: More of this Schultz on the road, just not our Forte; OSU ADV  (Read 9822 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: More of this Schultz on the road, just not our Forte; OSU ADV
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »
Rebounding and getting to the line are the two things this team needed to do to perform better on the road. Other thing are harder to fix because of a lack of talent. I thought we showed some good signs of that tonight, other thing made the wheels fall of the wagon. Not really all that upset.

I would prioritize keeping OSU off of the line, we shot 28 free throws, that's a pretty good amount

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2014, 11:29:27 PM »
Mostly older players just get better. But I'm sure grit and focus and heart and drive will be important, too!

I didn't say anything about grit, heart, and drive. We played hard tonight. We make a lot more mistakes on the road than we do at home. Our players don't suddenly become less talented when we go on the road. There has to be an explanation about why we play worse on the road, and luck has to been shown to be a bullshit excuse by the margin between our home/away scores against the same opponent. It's not uncommon for freshman to have a hard time ignoring the distractions on the road. I think it definitely plays a part in our road woes this year. Much more than luck anyway.

Every team in college basketball makes more mistakes on the road. And luck isn't an excuse, just an observation. I guess I missed the proof that luck wasn't a factor in basketball.

luck is more of a factor, the more all of the rest of the factors are equal, all of the factors are not equal so luck frankly isn't terribly important to our road troubles

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2014, 11:31:37 PM »
Mostly older players just get better. But I'm sure grit and focus and heart and drive will be important, too!

I didn't say anything about grit, heart, and drive. We played hard tonight. We make a lot more mistakes on the road than we do at home. Our players don't suddenly become less talented when we go on the road. There has to be an explanation about why we play worse on the road, and luck has to been shown to be a bullshit excuse by the margin between our home/away scores against the same opponent. It's not uncommon for freshman to have a hard time ignoring the distractions on the road. I think it definitely plays a part in our road woes this year. Much more than luck anyway.

Every team in college basketball makes more mistakes on the road. And luck isn't an excuse, just an observation.

I understand that teams make more mistakes on the road. Most veteran teams seem to be steadier on the road though.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2014, 11:34:47 PM »

Every team in college basketball makes more mistakes on the road. And luck isn't an excuse, just an observation.

I understand that teams make more mistakes on the road. Most veteran teams seem to be steadier on the road though.

I'd have to see the data.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2014, 11:37:23 PM »
Why should we have won more road games? We lost to good teams on the road.

to be fair, you can say that about almost every big 12 team

Yes.

agreed then. I'm glad we're friends. go cats
emaw

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2014, 11:40:19 PM »

That sounds like a lot of work. I don't care enough about the argument to put in the leg work. So, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2014, 11:41:56 PM »

Baylor, OSU, and UT are pretty experienced. I'll take a scorer and a couple of steady ball handlers over experience. We were good on the road last season and we were led by a sophomore.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2014, 11:44:18 PM »

That sounds like a lot of work. I don't care enough about the argument to put in the leg work. So, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm saying there's no evidence to support your assertion, so we'll just have to agree that I'm right.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2014, 11:46:56 PM »
Our offense being bad on the road has an effect on our defensive numbers not looking as good.  Case in point tonight .....

We only commit 2 TOs in our first 19 poss.  Osu only scores 17 pts in their first 19 poss
We commit 8 TOs in the next 19 poss. and only score 10 pts.   Osu scored 12 pts just in the 8 poss following our TOs. 4 layups and 2 FTs after Nino fouled Murphy on breakaway layup.   They could have gone scoreless the other 11 poss, and our lead still would have gotten smaller

Our Def numbers at home are ridiculous.  No one should expect us to duplicate them away from the OOD.  And our halfcourt D isn't as good on the road.  But take out the KU and OU games, I think our D has been good enough to give us the oppourtunity to win

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2014, 11:52:42 PM »

Baylor, OSU, and UT are pretty experienced. I'll take a scorer and a couple of steady ball handlers over experience. We were good on the road last season and we were led by a sophomore.

3 sophomores, 2 juniors, and 3 seniors comprised our most important contributors last year. We didn't really rely on any freshman. I'll definitely take talent over experience, but I don't think we'll be immensely more talented with oscar as our coach than we are this year, but I do think we can be much better on the road if we are able to rely less on freshman in the future.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »

3 sophomores, 2 juniors, and 3 seniors comprised our most important contributors last year. We didn't really rely on any freshman. I'll definitely take talent over experience, but I don't think we'll be immensely more talented with oscar as our coach than we are this year, but I do think we can be much better on the road if we are able to rely less on freshman in the future.
We had better players last year.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2014, 02:52:21 AM »
to my mind, it's more that kstate has played better than could be expected at home rather than worse than could be expected on the road.  i think it's just a matter of perspective.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2014, 03:04:23 AM »
to my mind, it's more that kstate has played better than could be expected at home rather than worse than could be expected on the road.  i think it's just a matter of perspective.

It's be interesting to see some measure of home away expectation with relation to completely neutral settings. Then to see which direction that K-State deviates from that more extremely.  It shouldn't be too hard. There is probably some decent metric out there. http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/rpi_help and:

against…
         Home   Neutral  Road
Win%    Opp Rk  Opp Rk  Opp Rk
59        20          50      73
76        57         100     177

are kind of helpful, but not clear cut.

Basically if a team played a theoretically equal team at Home, Neutral (obv. 50%), Road what would the difference in expectation be. Hell, he may have explained it clearly, but I'm tired.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2014, 03:51:24 AM »
maybe i'm being more dense than usual, but i can't see how you're going to meaningfully calculate whether road or home performances deviate more from the mean.  the mean would be calculated from those same data points.  kstate played a fair number of neutral (semi-neutral) games, but even so, i don't think you could calculate a representative mean from those data points alone.

at any rate, i saw an old post stating that the kenpom home court adjustment is 1.4% to home team's o, ht's d, road team's o, rt's d.  it may have changed, but it's probably still something close to that.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 06:02:28 AM »
They only have Shane for 2 TO's last night, it seemed like 10.

The inability of this team to finish at the rim feels like Deja Vu all over again, it just harkens back to the bad old days.

Repeatedly missing layups and bricking even slightly contested shots at the rim.   This is becoming a trend.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2014, 06:17:11 AM »
It takes toughness to win on the road and our coach is oscar.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2014, 06:48:06 AM »
Pretty awesome to see Weber takes care of crap at home. Hope he sends Martin a message.
like an instagram.....text....facebook.....?im not sure i understand this point

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2014, 07:11:36 AM »
I'm done.  Three conference road wins was all I asked for.  I'd give up two home wins for just one more rough ridin' road win.  eff this team.  eff this crap.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2014, 07:59:03 AM »
I'm done.  Three conference road wins was all I asked for.  I'd give up two home wins for just one more rough ridin' road win.  eff this team.  eff this crap.

don't go off the cliff, man.  the weather this season has been terrible in the midwest. this team didn't make it into stillwater until 11pm sunday night.  same thing with a couple of our other roadies.  if the weather had been better, this team would have a ton more roadies in the W column and prob would have exceeded your 3 conference roadie goal. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2014, 08:52:38 AM »
I can confirm the weather has been poor
emaw

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2014, 09:06:20 AM »
maybe i'm being more dense than usual, but i can't see how you're going to meaningfully calculate whether road or home performances deviate more from the mean.  the mean would be calculated from those same data points.  kstate played a fair number of neutral (semi-neutral) games, but even so, i don't think you could calculate a representative mean from those data points alone.

at any rate, i saw an old post stating that the kenpom home court adjustment is 1.4% to home team's o, ht's d, road team's o, rt's d.  it may have changed, but it's probably still something close to that.

You would have to compare it to all the teams' deviations from their means, I think.

But if KU makes another shot in regulation, and Heslip and the the Texas guy miss their shots at the end of regulation, are we really a different team, at all? I don't think so.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »
@Cole_Manbeck 
In K-State's last 3 road games, KSU had stretches where it scored 8 points on 22 possessions, 13 pts on 30 possessions, 5 pts on 16 possess.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2014, 01:17:33 PM »
 :emawkid:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2014, 01:18:30 PM »
that's atrocious

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2014, 01:24:10 PM »
Cole has gone crazy with possession based stats.